Access to medical records

Guest deb and stoo

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

Has anyone any experiences or dificulties in obtaining their medical records for taking with them?

Deb went to our GP's today and was told by the 'busy body receptionists' that there was no way we could have access to our own medical records, as they have to keep them, not that we have any intention of returning. Anyone know of the rules surrounding this and are the receptionists right for a change?

:(

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Guest Tofster

Can't be right, surely.

When private medical co's are assessing claims, they ask for medical records (copies).

Costs about £40.00 I think, for the receptionist to go thru the filing cabinet!

I'd push it. How can anyone be denied their own medical records - or at least copies?

Seems a bit harsh....

Guest ali@51

Hi deb and stoo

You certainly have a legal right to see your medical records and I assume to get copies.

I have however seen someone post that they had taken theirs over and basicly that unless you had a spesific med problem it was a waist of time as the GP didnt want to see them and just asked what he wanted to know.

from what I have read You dont have to register with a spesific GP and can go and see whoever you want on that day. So I guess you could see A different GP each time and they might not have acces to your records even if you had taken them with you.

Hope this makes everything as clear as mud:confused:

Guest JPT07

Hi,

I asked about this recently at our surgery and they told me that they could print us out a summary to take with us. This sound much easier and less paper work to carry!! maybe you could ask for a summary for all the family.

:)

Guest The Ashtons

We asked our G.P.s surgery and they did us photo copies of all our records just had to give them plenty of notice as its a lengthy process and only charged us £25 so i would ask again. And before i asked the G.P. i checked with the medical council and you are entiltled to a copy of your medical records so maybe you could mention that as well. Hope this helps Jane

Guest Libby1971

Hi

Like the Ashtons I found that access to my medical records was not difficult. My receptionists were not clearly not as difficult as I thought.

They cannot give you the originals as they do have to keep them. Medical records really aren't warranted as you need to explain things to your new doc here.

I got a summary from my GP for free for all 4 of us. I then asked for a photocopy of all correspondance between my GP and the consultants for my kids. One has back probs and the other is coming off epilepsy medication. That cost me something small but worth it. Anything else of concern, I expect that they will call the old GP anyway.

Libby

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

Thank you so much for all that info,we've decided to book a meeting with our GP,who's a really nice lady,and ask for copies/summary just in case and to say goodbye too.

Stoo Deb & Boyz

Guest Bex & Nick

Generally speaking the receptionists at the GP's vary in knowledge about what you can and can't have! My hubbie and I spoke to different people and got different responses.

I have now obtained computerised printouts summarising our health care for which the fee was waived - some GP's will do this depending on the reason why you want them (if you want them to sue the GP of course they're going to charge you :rolleyes: but emigration seems to be a good reason to get them free).

By law they must give you the records within 40 days of a written request under the Data Protection Act.

http://www.nhsdirect.nhs.uk/articles/article.aspx?ArticleId=1309

Hi

I have been having trouble too. I live in France and when we first arrived I phoned and asked to be sent a copy, to which my GPs replied with that they are unable to do that. Since deciding to start the process to go to Oz, I have tried again by phone and email. I have looked on the Trust's website and it is says that everyone is entitled to see their medical records and that if they are computerised, your GP will hold them otherwise you might have to obtain them from elsewhere. I have emailed again stating this and guess what? No response. But in answer to your question, you are entitled to a copy of your medical records, it is your right so while you are still in the UK, be a bit more pushy and tell those Hitler-like receptionists that you know your rights!!!!

Carla

Guest dglamoore

We have not bought ours with us as doctors here do not seem to need them unless you have an ongoing medical condition. You can see any Doctor here rather than registering with one as in the UK. We just bought Dawns red book for immunisation details etc.

When we did think about bringing them it seems all doctors charge for a copy so unless you need them save your money rather than giving more to the GP's :)

Lisa:cool:

Guest betty22

Hi,

I agree with lisa unless you have an ongoing medical condition you don,t need them.

You can go to any doctors here, Nick was working near the city the other day and popped into one near his work. he is also registered near home as well. so if you go to one and don't like it you can just go to a different one next time and so on

I just brought the childrens red books.

Liz

Liz

Guest deb and stoo

Yo dudes

Thank you for all your advice on this one,I think we'll have a chat with our GP and see if we can get a summary of all our records to take with us,but as theres really nothing wrong with any of us we'll not panice and if the Doc in Oz needs access we'll let them contact the surgery here....................'no worries'

Stoo Deb & Boyz