Can you take ashes with you?

Guest The Waite Family

Guest The Waite Family

Hi all,

We have just sadly lost our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Lucy to the terrible disease Syringomyelia :sad:

We have had her cremated and would like to know if we will be allowed to bring her with us when we emigrate.

if anyone could let us know that would be a great help.

Also, if anyone knows anyone at all with a CKCS be it in England or Australia could you please direct them to my website that I have made in Lucy's memory as everyone needs to know about this awful disease that has broken all our hearts.

Thank you.

www.freewebs.com/lucymagicsky

Dianne

-x-

Guest jimnali

Hi Dianne

im sorry i dont know the answer to your question, but i just wanted to say how sorry i am for your loss, and what a beautiful tribute the website is. I'm not ashamed to say it made me bawl like a baby, but it also shows what a loved, cared for, and happy little dog (when she was able) you had.

Please be proud of the happy life you gave her, not all animals are so lucky.

My love and thoughts are with you

Ali x

Hi all,

We have just sadly lost our Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Lucy to the terrible disease Syringomyelia :sad:

We have had her cremated and would like to know if we will be allowed to bring her with us when we emigrate.

if anyone could let us know that would be a great help.

Also, if anyone knows anyone at all with a CKCS be it in England or Australia could you please direct them to my website that I have made in Lucy's memory as everyone needs to know about this awful disease that has broken all our hearts.

Thank you.

www.freewebs.com/lucymagicsky

Dianne

-x-

I bought all my dogs ashes over with me. All 4 of them!!!

Customs are more interested in the containers they come. Ours were wooden and closed. The wood was excellent quality. The removal firm packed them last and were put at the front container. They were not opened thank god.

I know what you are going through. The only consolation I can give you is that getting a new dog to love will ease the pain.

• 2 years later...

I'm going to bump this one and ask if anyone has more recent experience of bringing a pets ashes with them?

I read the link and it makes my head hurt. I also read elsewhere online that you need to have the cremation certificate. Sadly I didn't keep them as its been a few years now since I lost the two dogs.

I'd want to bring their ashes with me when we move back over (I never intended to keep them, always planned to scatter them on the Quantocks but somehow its never happened and now I can't do it). They are in secure wooden boxes which are well made wood and treated with a laquer etc of some kind. Would anyone know if it was an issue to not have paperwork to go with the ashes? I don't mind if I have to lose the boxes, but of course don't want to have to lose the contents.

I'm of course going to try to research this more over the coming months to be sure I have all the info and can set about getting paperwork if need be.

Hi, not with pets ashes but my wife brought over her mums ashes in her hand luggage no questions asked, i was working in the airport before we came and i asked security what to do and they told me there is no issues taking the ashes on in your hand luggage infact its very common, this was in Aug this year and how would they know it was a dogs ashes, ashes are ashes, hope this helps

Guest Nick11
I'm going to bump this one and ask if anyone has more recent experience of bringing a pets ashes with them?

I read the link and it makes my head hurt. I also read elsewhere online that you need to have the cremation certificate. Sadly I didn't keep them as its been a few years now since I lost the two dogs.

I'd want to bring their ashes with me when we move back over (I never intended to keep them, always planned to scatter them on the Quantocks but somehow its never happened and now I can't do it). They are in secure wooden boxes which are well made wood and treated with a laquer etc of some kind. Would anyone know if it was an issue to not have paperwork to go with the ashes? I don't mind if I have to lose the boxes, but of course don't want to have to lose the contents.

I'm of course going to try to research this more over the coming months to be sure I have all the info and can set about getting paperwork if need be.

Could you get a letter from your vets to confirm their deaths?

I felt exactly the same. Your urn seem to be the same as mine. I had visions of customs opening them with a crow bar as the lids were sealed. We declared them on the paperwork and as I said they were last to be packed. We had no paperwork or certificate for them from the crematorium.

The customs were only bothered about the wood being treated..which wasn't an issue.

Nick

x

Hi, not with pets ashes but my wife brought over her mums ashes in her hand luggage no questions asked, i was working in the airport before we came and i asked security what to do and they told me there is no issues taking the ashes on in your hand luggage infact its very common, this was in Aug this year and how would they know it was a dogs ashes, ashes are ashes, hope this helps

Thanks for posting. we lost our baby 2 years ago and still have her ashes as couldnt bare leaving her behind when we move, now i feel at ease knowing i can bring her with me.

Guest Martin and Val

Sorry I don't know about bringing ashes from UK to OZ but our poor Boxer died when we brought him over to OZ. He died in quarantine before we had a chance to get to him. Our Son came on holiday in 2009 and took the ashes back to the UK with him. He simply told them at check in what he had and showed them copies of emails we had received from the Vets in Melbourne.

When we went for a visit in 2010 we took his ashes to his favorite tree in the adjacent field. Losing him was the only regret we have about coming here and feel we should never have put him through it all.

Good luck

Martin

• 4 months later...
Guest Ellie

Just wanted to let you all know how useful this thread has been and say thank you. I have going out of my mind about my dog and my Son is due back in June permanently and we are only just having the shipping sent too after being here a year. We had both options and weren't even sure the ashes could come. Thankfully he is in a vase rather than a box as we knew we would be trying to get him out here and wondered about the wood. Though he was a big dog and the vase is quite heavy. I have advised my Son to bring the ashes with him and not put in the shipping. He will have the paperwork as he only passed away recently. We didn't bring him with us as he had gone blind and it would have been so frightening for him and in quarantine he just wouldn't have known voices etc and we just couldn't do it. :'( Not sure whether he should go in the suitcase our actually the hand luggage?

Not sure whether he should go in the suitcase our actually the hand luggage?

Consider either. Be prepared if you carry him in hand luggage you may get asked about it every time you go through a security check. If you put his ashes in the checked luggage it should be fine. Whatever you are happy with. I've read of people doing both.

Guest Ellie
Consider either. Be prepared if you carry him in hand luggage you may get asked about it every time you go through a security check. If you put his ashes in the checked luggage it should be fine. Whatever you are happy with. I've read of people doing both.

Hmmm that's a thought. My only worry would be if the luggage got lost/damaged. My Son doesn't leave until June 28 so I will give that some thought Thank you again!