IELTS - Advice

Guest taffs

Hi guys, i am doing my IELTS test in 2 weeks time. I would be greatful for some advice on what to expect from anyone who has done the test recently. Listening part of the exam do you answer the questions while listening or do you answer the questions when it has finished, Do you get a choice of topics to write about in the writing test etc

Thanks Gail

Which test are you doing?

I was asked to do the acedemic test, so i can only tell you about that test.

Why were you asked to do the acedemic test?:err:

You are only required to do the general training test for migratory purposes.

To answer your question Gail, you answer the questions as you are listening.

I found this website invaluable as it gives you a library of test papers and advice: http://www.scottsenglish.com/ielts/pages/home.asp

Good luck

Howard.

Hi Gail

I went for the general test in Mar 08 the agent didn't advise me we needed the test unit it was a huge rush and needed to be done asap. Only had 3 days to worry about it.

It took all day got there at 9.00am and left at 4.30pm. I hadnt been told that it would be all day and that the tests were continues all morning. The speaking and listening test was in the afternoon and you are allocated times. We finished in the morning at 12.30 and my speaking and listening test wasnt till 4.00pm.

You will need sandwiches and drinks to keep you going. I know some people on PIA thought the test was easy and maybe it was, but I thought it was nerve racking knowing it was all down to me to pass the test because of the application. There was about 100 people there as well which I wasnt prepared for.

I did sit with some lovely people who also wanted to go to Oz and we had a laugh.

I did also practice like mad whenever I could on the website that has been posted.

Sorry to sound doom and gloom but just keep thinking it will help you get to Adelaide.

Best of luck Janine

Hi guys, i am doing my IELTS test in 2 weeks time. I would be greatful for some advice on what to expect from anyone who has done the test recently. Listening part of the exam do you answer the questions while listening or do you answer the questions when it has finished, Do you get a choice of topics to write about in the writing test etc

Thanks Gail

Hi Gail

I did the test a few months ago and I was quite worried about passing but got to be honest it was ridiculously easy - slightly patronising and I am no genius.

It was a really long day though, good tip for you..email the course organiser about one week before asking to be first for the speaking test - make some excuse up about having to go to hospital afterwards or something similar.

I got the first speaking test at 1pm and was out of there by 1.10pm, I know some people had to kill 4hours before their test are there really are about 100 -150 doing it on the same day.

I think what I struggled with was second guessing myself as the tests was so easy, the listening I nearly fell asleep on and missed some of the answers so just stay awake and you will be fine.

Good luck but you really wont need it.

Denise