Help with relocation on temp 457 visa

Guest sam2500

Guest sam2500

Hi all,

We have booked our flights for January but are now having serious wobbles.

Not about where we are going or why, we are still quite focused, but we are going on the temporary 457 visa, and having to fund all our own costs.

My OH is being sponsored by a small company who are doing this for the first time.

He agreed a salary earlier this year, that now doesn't like quite as favourable, and really we hadn't analised the costs as well as we might.

Just really wanted some advice from people either already there, or due to go out on this visa.

Is it normal that a company should not need to help with any relocating costs ? :skeptical:

Thanks a lot,

Sam2500

Hi, we are also on a temp 457 visa with my OH job,we know we are not entitled to any benefits but we have been told from my OH employers that if everything is working out after three months ,the visa will then be changed to a perm visa, so will then be entitled to all the benefits.Get your OH to check with his future employers that if everything is working out if the temp visa will then be changed to a perm visa.

All the best

Hi,We're in the same boat as soccer65. We have 3 months accommodation and our flights to Adelaide paid for. I have a review after 3 Months where the company can terminate my contract if they feel I cannot do the job.

The company have not offered any other relocation costs but I know that if I were to take any other job in the UK(that i am qualified to do) they also would not offer relocation costs.

We are not taking to much with us but I know where your coming from because even the smallest things cost a lot to get out there. Our plan is to start from scratch and use the 3 months rent free to build up our furniture and start our new home.

All the best for the future,

Ian

Guest sam2500

Hi Ian,

Thanks for your reply.

Is yours a big company or small family business like our sponsors'?

I think flights and 3 months accommodation sounds fair.

Did you negotiate that in your contract?

Are you flying out soon ?

Take care,

Sue David Sam

The company I'm going to work for employ 200 people (this was 140 when I was there in July). I think I was quite fortunate because I hit it off with the soon to be boss straight away. He emailed me when I got home and offered a very good package. I did no negotiating as I could'nt believe what I was being offered. I'm due to start work on 27/1/09 but have still have no visa.

Have you been over to Adelaide yet? My OH as been pulling her hair out ever since I got back, I seem to have adopted a 'tomorrow' attitude.

What date are you due to fly? Visa permitting were off on 19/1/09.

Good Luck,

Ian,Mel,Robbie & Dougie

Guest sam2500

Hi Ian and Mel,

Thanks for your reply.

We have flights booked for 12th january 09, but are considering changing to end of Feb as we will not be organised in time.

My OH talking to sponsor at weekend to explain.

We havent sold our house and don't think we will rent in time.

Hope they are understanding.

Costing a lot more than we imagined especially for a furnished short term let, hope they offer to help with something?

I am intrigued to find out what you consider to be such a great package, to see how it compares, but wouldnt ask.

When was your visa lodged by the way?

PM us if you wish,

Thanks again,

Sue David sam

Hi Ian and Mel,

Thanks for your reply.

We have flights booked for 12th january 09, but are considering changing to end of Feb as we will not be organised in time.

My OH talking to sponsor at weekend to explain.

We havent sold our house and don't think we will rent in time.

Hope they are understanding.

Costing a lot more than we imagined especially for a furnished short term let, hope they offer to help with something?

I am intrigued to find out what you consider to be such a great package, to see how it compares, but wouldnt ask.

When was your visa lodged by the way?

PM us if you wish,

Thanks again,

Sue David sam

can i ask what your oh does and what package hes been offered will make it easier for people to be more specific. :)