De facto statement - how long?

Guest brandyslad

Guest brandyslad

Have started my de facto statement this evening about our relationship and I have really just detailed how and where we met, when we moved in together, how we split our finances, how we babysit for relations kids (showing family ties), about holidays we have been on, and how we spent last Xmas in Tenerife and will be spending this Xmas in NYC (so excited!!) as I think this shows we are very much a couple if we are willing to head away for Xmas just the 2 of us.

I have also hoked out photos of us at a christening when OH was standing for the baby, at a wedding and on a night out, plus confirmation emails of all holidays, bills in each name at this address, wedding invites, we don't have any joint bills and the mortgage is only in one name. Bank accs are in my name but both our wages go into acc in my name, can I just send the statement and highlight this going in each week?

Anyway, sorry to waffle, can anyone tell me if this sounds ok? My personal statement is two pages long do I need to make it longer and how many extra stat decs should I get? I have two people I plan to ask, my OHs brother and one of my friends.

Guest brandyslad
Sounds like you've pretty much covered every thing. We had to get statements from friends/family signed by a solicitor.

Thanks for the reply. Did you have your statement done up in stat dec format??

I have written my personal one informally, I just wrote it as if I was actually talking to them and telling them about our relationship, thought that would come across as most natural, is this ok? They don;t want it very regimented or anything do they?

Guest vixpinkbabe

Mine was 1.5 pages.

And I got 6 friends to write them just incase, which cost me a FORTUNE in solicitors fees - £25 to get each one witnessed! :( One thing that my agency said I needed to get my friends to include in the statement is marriage and kids in the future.

Hope this helps xxx

Guest ade&emma
Thanks for the reply. Did you have your statement done up in stat dec format??

I have written my personal one informally, I just wrote it as if I was actually talking to them and telling them about our relationship, thought that would come across as most natural, is this ok? They don;t want it very regimented or anything do they?

Ours was just like a letter not formal at all. We included wedding invitations we had addressed to both of us and holiday photo's and that sort of thing (included some from when we first got together 7 years ago and more recent one's to show how long we have been together).

Guest brandyslad
Mine was 1.5 pages.

And I got 6 friends to write them just incase, which cost me a FORTUNE in solicitors fees - £25 to get each one witnessed! :( One thing that my agency said I needed to get my friends to include in the statement is marriage and kids in the future.

Hope this helps xxx

Ok - so I have mentioned marriage and kids in mine, so as long as I get them to pop in that they could see us married with kids etc in the future that would be good?

Gosh, £25 for each one, that is steep. I got mine done free for the Skills assessment as I had a bill to pay the solicitor for remortgaging and I asked him when I was in! Then I got the woman in the post office to sign one I had forgotten about, all went through thank god.

I take it I can just scan invites, photos, bills etc in as long as they are in colour they will be ok???

Guest brandyslad
Ours was just like a letter not formal at all. We included wedding invitations we had addressed to both of us and holiday photo's and that sort of thing (included some from when we first got together 7 years ago and more recent one's to show how long we have been together).

Good - that is what I thought, I just told it like a story!

Thanks for the advice.

If you've had any time apart during your relationship even a few days then remember to mention and provide details of phone calls/e-mails made to each other as they can be quite hot on this

Good luck

Hi we did the same thing and had friends of ours do the same (4 friends) Andy wrote one and I wrote one too, they were 2-3 pages long each, detailing how and where we met , how we carried on a relationship from different ends of the country, initially, when we moved in together, when we moved house and where we lived in various places around the country - it read like a story I would have written when I was five at school, but obviously did the trick. We sent bills with both our names on, council tax bills, mortgage statements, car insurance documents that named each of us as named drivers on the others cars - going back a few years, photographs that went back a few years - different hairstyles etc, at graduation, weddings holidays etc

Good Luck!