Retirement Visa-taking mum and dad

richjop

My parents are coming with us to Adelaide on a retirement Visa and I was wondering whether anyone out there has done the same thing. Any tips for what sort of things they could get involved in would be great, both in their early sixties, sporty and willing to try anything:D (within reason!!!!).

Have your parents applied for their Visa yet as there are quite a number of rules to abide by. One being that at least 50% of their children are Citizens or permanent residents.

If they are planning a retirement Visa there is about a 12year waitng list to get in, but this can be speeded up by buying? a contributory visa for about £30,000 for two.

We have waited for 12 months to get a case officer on a contributory application, but we now have one and hopefully will get a result in the near future.

They have actually gone down the route of a SA sponsored retirement Visa one that means investing lots of $$$$$ for 4 years, the plan is that we will become permie after 2 years and sponsor them 2 years sfter that when their initial bond ends.....they have just had their medicals and will be coming in October (hopefully), its difficult to get in for retirees isn't it:confused:. Someone I know took their parents and they said that they lasted 10 years longer than they would have done in the UK, so as my husband says, there is a downside to everything!!!!!!:P

Guest moneypenny

Congratulations to your Mum and Dad on getting their Retirees Visa. Really how difficult is it to get into Australia? Hubby and I are hoping to go down the same path as your parents, we have an appointment tomorrow at Australia House on one of their Migration Days. How long did it take for them to get the permission to join you in Adelaide.

Hi Richard, Joanne

We've been talking to my mum and Dad about this new visa for a while now, trying to persuade them to look into it further, the only thing is my mum has had 5 hip operations:confused:yes 5... she's very mobile and they are both really young at heart (in mid 60's) we are not sure on the medical front if this will be the stumbling block but I wanted to know if you went through an agent for their visa or directly. Any help/advice you can would be really helpful.

Really appreciate it.

Thanks

Kimx