Adelaide & Teenagers?

Guest Sharon & Mark

Guest Sharon & Mark

Hi.......sorry haven't posted on here for some time. Please could someone help me finally come to a decision. All the hard work is done and we are now waiting for a co. My husband Mark is an electrician and we have three daughters Emily (18), Charlotte (17) & Catherine (16)....I am stressing myself at the moment on deciding where to live.

At the beginning I was 100% on moving to Adelaide...but I have read some posts saying about the lack of jobs for electricians, is this still the case? We are aware about having to apply for the Australian licence, before some employers will give you a chance, but were hoping that afterwards jobs were available.

My other worry is my daughters.....is there plenty of things to do in Adelaide for teenagers.....my eldest 2 daughters will be looking to go to university but my youngest is mad on horses and would like to study in this area.

Due to the above concerns, we have now been considering moving to Brisbane....but my heart still says Adelaide. At the moment we are all excited and cant wait to make the move....there have been times where one of our daughters at some time or other did not want to go, but fingers crossed, at the moment, all three are looking forward to going. I so need to get this right as I don't want them to be disapointed

Sorry to go on....

Thanks loads Sharonx:unsure:

Guest kfoley0681

i would just like to give you a little advise regards work there is plenty of work my husband works in the building trade he is a plumber and there is so many new builds going up they cant keep up! but be aware its not a case of just getting a licence in both south australia and queensland you need to sit a short college corse before the licence is granted! mad when you spent time proving you had a trade and you have done it for so long but thats how it works! regards teenagers we have travelled before settling in adelaide but will probably go back to queensland to live in a few years. adelaide is nice but is more of a quiet place not sure if this is good for teenagers depends what you and they want. our friends arrived in april with teenagers and although they have settled and made friends and do find things to do they also intend on going to queensland. i think you need to physically see both areas for yourself to make a dession thats why we travelled first and cant believe how our opions changed along the way! lots of work in queensland is the makay area lots of tradesmen go up there to work! also to live there the northen beaches are beautiful worth a look! good luck with whatever you decided!

Guest Sharon & Mark

Thanks so much for the advice......I think I am doing everyones head in at the moment....my husband has had to all the hard work up until now, but has left the decision on where to go up to me...he really does not mind.

My oh does not mind doing the course when out there, but was hoping that there was plenty of work available when he had the licence (been electrician for 22 years). We have heard that the course is quicker to do in Adelaide...is this right? Can you take this licence to Queensland?

Maybe it would be an idea for my daughters to take a year out before applying to uni out there, until we are settled.

Thanks again...Sharonx

Guest Sharon & Mark

Hi.....yeah, we have applied for 175 visa.......waiting for co.

Do you know if they get any help with fees immediately or do we have to be there for two years. They have both applied for uni here (just in case) but feel in limbo at the moment

Guest kfoley0681

hi with regards to the licence we were told it was easier in adelaide but some queensland others i think it doesnt really make a difference all pretty easy when you have done the trade for years not sure about electritions but my husband as a plumber says it is slightly different ie measurements etc but ok! with regards to the uni fees if you coming on a 175 visa that is the same as ours we were entitled to working tax benifit and help with school and kindy fees from the day we arrived here so i should at a guess say uni fees are the same. time out for the older ones is personal prefernce my kids are younger but friends with teenagers also put kids straight into school it did help as they made new friends quickly which helped with selltling. depends if you are just going toland and stay in one place!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi.....yeah, we have applied for 175 visa.......waiting for co.

Do you know if they get any help with fees immediately or do we have to be there for two years. They have both applied for uni here (just in case) but feel in limbo at the moment

Is that a permanent or temporary visa?

As a permanent resident you can go to UNi and pay PR prices, you will not be eligible for a HECS loan of the % off for paying up front.

If it is a temp visa then you will have to pay international fees which are very expensive.

sarah