• Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Like Tree104Likes

Thread: Not sure if we can afford to do this anymore?

ah yes, those magical 'PR' letters. The very thing that has me trying to find a huge deposit for car finance as I can't get a car loan, car insurance, permanent job etc etc.......stick with it indeed....fortunately, that sunset I just sat and watched was completely free. I'm certainly missing the swings, but the roundabouts aint bad...

Adelaide SA
      1178 times
      Quote Originally Posted by Django View Post
      Spot on. We arrived with next to nothing and with 4 children. Foolish? possibly. But having not a lot on arrival we didn't fall in the trap of spend, spend, spend when we got here.
      It is purely a matter of mind set. If you want to move here and live the same as you did in the UK then my advice is stay in the UK. When you move here you must realise that you are in affect 'starting again'. You may be lucky and land a similar job that you left but the chances are you won't.
      You need to adapt to a new way of doing things. The one stop weekly shop is the quickest way to pay over the odds for things. You need to shop around and find out where to buy different things. Shop like your parents did. Meat from the butchers, Fruit and veg from greengrocers, etc. It may take a little longer but you will get a better quality product at a better price than if you went to a supermarket.
      Yes something are more expensive. There is no doubt about it. However, other things are cheaper. It does balance out. Yes dentists etc as mentioned above. How often do you visit the dentist compared with how often you fill up your car? Swings and roundabouts. One thing I wil say PR does make life here so much easier. If you are coming over on a provisional visa you will find it tougher. Do hang in there and get your PR. You will find it will be well worth the initial struggle.
      Adapt and you will enjoy all that this beautiful place has to offer. Don't adapt and it will be just a matter of how long it will be before you book your return flights.
      I think this sums it up the best, we are not moving half way around the world to live like its the UK.
      Living In Adelaide Since Jan 2012 And Loving It

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums