recce advice pls?

pablo

hello all,coming over on a recce april 22nd till 15thmay, thinking of staying in victor harbour ( oh just likes the looks of it! ),my questions are............am i right in saying its an hour and half drive into adelaide?is there a direct rail link incase we just wanted to go and have a mooch/few beers?is there a cpl of bars/eating places in vic harbour we can wander to?especially being out of season. as regards the research side of things is it "too far out" to get a good idea about work(im a bricky,jan accounts)houseprices,etc?is it a "typical" S.A suburb,if there is such a thing,or more of a holiday town?we are planning on looking at aldinga,sellicks,seaford way while were there as well btw, i guess what im asking,in my longwinded way!is would it be a decent base for research( bearing in mind a bit of driving is ok ) as well as "hopefully" putting our feet up for a week? any advice welcome,thx. paul

Guest guest569

hi,

Yes victor Harbour has more of a holiday atmosphere. Lots of pubs a restaraunts but i would say it is a bit too far to be a good base unless you only plan to visit the city once or twice and are only looking at southern suburbs.

it is also 7-8 degrees colder than the city.

Hope this helps.

hi,

Yes victor Harbour has more of a holiday atmosphere. Lots of pubs a restaraunts but i would say it is a bit too far to be a good base unless you only plan to visit the city once or twice and are only looking at southern suburbs.

it is also 7-8 degrees colder than the city.

Hope this helps.

It does help thx,we arent planning on going to cbd more than a cpl of times tbh,and yes it is the southern suburbs we are looking at,so in that scenario you think its ok then? btw,is there a rail link? p.s sadly utd won 5 nil!:(cheers and thx again

Guest guest569

Theres a tourist train from Goolwa through the hills and strathalbyn. Not sure if it goes to the city though.

If its more of a holiday your after than a rush about reccie for 2 weeks then you'll be ok. Failing that theres a few furnished rentals around the seaford / woodcroft area. That would be more central for you and still only 40 mins away from Victor harbour.

Lets hope Liverpool pull their fingers out soon. If they can't beat Everton how do they expect to get passed real Madrid ???:arghh:

Theres a tourist train from Goolwa through the hills and strathalbyn. Not sure if it goes to the city though.

If its more of a holiday your after than a rush about reccie for 2 weeks then you'll be ok. Failing that theres a few furnished rentals around the seaford / woodcroft area. That would be more central for you and still only 40 mins away from Victor harbour.

Lets hope Liverpool pull their fingers out soon. If they can't beat Everton how do they expect to get passed real Madrid ???:arghh:

yes i had the same idea re seaford etc,trouble is they arent "realy" holiday rentals,and tend to want longer term lets and 2k bonds,seems to be a lot more "holiday" lets around victor,bond about$400,shorter term etc, yes and madrid are on a good run now as well,ah well,que sara etc,thx again

Guest becky c

Hi there,

There are loads of holiday rentals along the esplanade at Aldinga Beach and Port Willunga if this helps. It's only 10 min drive to Seaford from there, and very pleasant in my opinion!!

Bec x

:wubclub:

IMO Victor Harbor in April and May will be bl**dy freezing !!

Imagine a strong bracing wind blowing up from the south, with no land between you and Antarctica (think Cornwall on a cold day), and that might get you in the mood !! Victor Harbor IS a lovely place, but people go there to escape the heat of Adelaide because it is cooler. There are some nice pubs, nice places to stay but it is not really a hot weather kind of resort. More like Devon, with lots of retirees.

The tourist train (Steamranger) only runs in the winter months, out of Mount Barker

see http://www.steamranger.org.au and then only on Sundays.

It might be better to be based somewhere in there southern suburbs so you can get to Victor easily but as a base its a bit out of the way.

It's lovely there but it takes a while to get to the city. The beach is lovely and it is relaxed. It may suit you if you like English small seaside village life. We plan to go down there for picnics with the little one and stuff like that. Nice drive there though

Guest ReadyPenny

We visited Victor on our reccie. As previously said it is beautiful, no question about that, but it does have lots of retirees and is rather too quiet for me. Not much happening, but on the other hand very picturesque and relaxing! Whatever floats your boat I guess.

Guest panther
hello all,coming over on a recce april 22nd till 15thmay, thinking of staying in victor harbour ( oh just likes the looks of it! ),my questions are............am i right in saying its an hour and half drive into adelaide?is there a direct rail link incase we just wanted to go and have a mooch/few beers?is there a cpl of bars/eating places in vic harbour we can wander to?especially being out of season. as regards the research side of things is it "too far out" to get a good idea about work(im a bricky,jan accounts)houseprices,etc?is it a "typical" S.A suburb,if there is such a thing,or more of a holiday town?we are planning on looking at aldinga,sellicks,seaford way while were there as well btw, i guess what im asking,in my longwinded way!is would it be a decent base for research( bearing in mind a bit of driving is ok ) as well as "hopefully" putting our feet up for a week? any advice welcome,thx. paul

There is no direct rail link to the city from V/H the end of the line is at Noarlunga.

Althought no trains to Noarlunga today as Temp hit 45 Degrees in the shade and over 55 in the sun so the lines buckled in the heat.

IMO Victor Harbor in April and May will be bl**dy freezing !!

Imagine a strong bracing wind blowing up from the south, with no land between you and Antarctica (think Cornwall on a cold day), and that might get you in the mood !! Victor Harbor IS a lovely place, but people go there to escape the heat of Adelaide because it is cooler. There are some nice pubs, nice places to stay but it is not really a hot weather kind of resort. More like Devon, with lots of retirees.

The tourist train (Steamranger) only runs in the winter months, out of Mount Barker

see http://www.steamranger.org.au and then only on Sundays.

It might be better to be based somewhere in there southern suburbs so you can get to Victor easily but as a base its a bit out of the way.

Thx for that,tbh honest im not realy expecting it to be warm in april/may anywhere,dont know if im right but is it approx 16 to 18 degrees "in adelaide",or have i read the chart wrong?probably!. but as you say i think its the further south you go the cooler it gets?does sound a bit colder than what i was expecting though,and the trouble is im a smoker,so will be spending time outside of the rental ,sounds like it might be cold of an evening especially!although i love the beach when its brisk and the winds are churning up the waves tbh,wierdo?!im 46 so a little while off my pension,but past clubbing it etc! inbetweenie you might say,so a cpl of local type pubs will do.i will inform jan on what you've told me,and leave the responsibility to her!:cute:thx very much for your reply

• 3 weeks later...
Guest kevscotoz

:o Hi my wife and i have just moved to Victor Harbor from Scotland last June and are totally loving it here. Its like a tourist town, outside tourist season it goes quiet ish there is still a lot to do here and round about. It has about 3 main pubs but if you want clubs you need the city. The city center will take you about 1 hour 20mins , but if you want a big shopping center norlunga is about 50 mins away. One down side to Victor is it does not have a swimming pool.

Basically if you want a peacefull small town where you get to know most people, reasonabilly safe, seaside, laid back, quiet, good temp to start untill you get used to the heat then Victor is for you.

If you want a bit more action, closer to the city, more choice of pubs, closer to shops, more traffic, better choice of jobs then the south of the city would suit you better.

Hope this helps a wee bit can talk about good and bad points all day but the only way to find out is to stay 1 week in Victor and 1 week in city suburbs. if you need any questions answered give us a p.m.

Cheers kev:D