How do you heat/cool your home?

Guest seayork2002

Guest seayork2002

Hi,

We will rent and then (hopefully) buy a place in Adelaide and I know alot of houses just have a bulit in "heater" and maybe airconditioning in some rooms but what have people done to heat/cool their houses. Or any other tips you have for heating/cooling houses rather than putting a whole central heating/cooling system in.

Thanks

Guest Libby1971

You can but log heaters here which I think are cheaper to run although dear to install if you do not have the appropriate outlets.

As for cooling, air con, air con, air con is the only way to go in my opinion. I can't think of any other way. Most houses here have it.

Double glazing is available but it is expensive.

Good insulation helps

Guest caoimhe
Hi,

We will rent and then (hopefully) buy a place in Adelaide and I know alot of houses just have a bulit in "heater" and maybe airconditioning in some rooms but what have people done to heat/cool their houses. Or any other tips you have for heating/cooling houses rather than putting a whole central heating/cooling system in.

Thanks

The house we are in was bought by my uncles friend, he only bought it for the size of the plot, he plans to knock it down and build 3 houses but as he is not doing it straight away he let us rent it. We only have airconditioning in the living area and main bedroom and if we weren't paying minimal rent (neither of us have jobs yet) I would get out of here. With the temp so high at the minute it is killing us. We have fans in every other room and its really not enough as they only recycle the warm air, in fact last night when I went into the kids room my 6 year old had the fan in bed with him as he was so hot. I open windows when is cools outside and close them when it heats up. We have shutters on the windows which at the minute are permanately closed to keep out the sun. Get a house with good aircon in every room as it's hard to cope without it

Do whatever you need to to keep cool in these temps - we wet sheets and put them over the kids in bed, then with the fan on it cools them down, or wet their pj's for them - same effect! We have reverse cycle a/c which has been struggling in the past few weeks, and we were without it for several very warm days until I could get someone to come out and look at it - I think most systems are really not designed for quite such high temps - and usually you can open the windows at night for a cooling breeze, but there's not been one the last few nights so desperate measures have been called for! Lots of cool drinks, cool showers, trips to shopping centres, and driving around in the air conditioned car as much as possible!

D

(hoping the kids aren't going to go down with pneumonia now!)

You can but log heaters here which I think are cheaper to run although dear to install if you do not have the appropriate outlets.

As for cooling, air con, air con, air con is the only way to go in my opinion. I can't think of any other way. Most houses here have it.

Double glazing is available but it is expensive.

Good insulation helps

Appropriate outlets? Uh-oh, we've bought one, recommended by the in-laws but no one told us anything about appropriate outlets. You are referring to combustion heaters?

Guest Guest75
Appropriate outlets? Uh-oh, we've bought one, recommended by the in-laws but no one told us anything about appropriate outlets. You are referring to combustion heaters?

:biglaugh:

I'm thinking chimney here.;)

Guest Libby1971

Chimneys is right, or almost. The flue in place does not conform to new regulations so we need a new one. However the new one will not fit in the chomney meaning it'll cost $1500-$2500 for a new one. I am utterly desperate for a log burning fire thingummyjig (technical term I think) but think I can't really justify it with the costs so high.

If anyone knows someone who can do it for an awful lot cheaper, I'd be chuffed to bits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh to cool down, I have just had a shower in water just above cold, I am soaking wet now and have just stood in front of the fan. Brilliant. I am doing it again before bedtime and taking the sheets in with me...I'll let you know if I get hyperthermia (sp?)

Chimneys is right, or almost. The flue in place does not conform to new regulations so we need a new one. However the new one will not fit in the chomney meaning it'll cost $1500-$2500 for a new one. I am utterly desperate for a log burning fire thingummyjig (technical term I think) but think I can't really justify it with the costs so high.

If anyone knows someone who can do it for an awful lot cheaper, I'd be chuffed to bits!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh to cool down, I have just had a shower in water just above cold, I am soaking wet now and have just stood in front of the fan. Brilliant. I am doing it again before bedtime and taking the sheets in with me...I'll let you know if I get hyperthermia (sp?)

:P We have no air con, we have bought 6 freezers from the Good Guys put them in each room, plugged them in and leave the doors open, thats does the trick ;):biglaugh:

You mean the entire thing costs $1500-2000...heater and flu kit...a free-standing combustion heater? Or is it an inset one?

• 6 years later...