I am seeing two MPs and need PIA members permission to highlight employment issues.

Guest cazzie

Hello all,

I have written to our local MP Chloe Fox regarding the issues of the difficulties of finding a job while on a temporary visa. She has replied very quickly to say that she was unaware of this problem and has offered to make me an appointment with herself and also with a Federal MP as immigration is a Federal issue. I am going to discuss all aspects of the problems that some of us are facing but want to know if it is ok by PIA members if I print off some of the posts and show the MPs as proof of some of the issues. If people do not want me to do this, then of course I will respect that. Any thoughts/ideas/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you need anyone else to go with you? Perhaps we should start a post with specific examples for you to bring with?

Either that or if you are interested in more than just the problems of Poms, I know some others who would be happy to give examples. It's even harder, almost impossible it seems, for anyone to get a job, even temp roles, if they're not native English speakers, even if they are fluent now.

Thanks guys for your support. I have also had private messages from people with their stories, so will be collating evidence from all previous posts. However, I would be very pleased to hear many more stories about the difficulties of gaining work. The more the merrier.

Suzer, thanks for your offer of support, it's very much appreciated. I think that I will attend the initial meetings with eveidence to back up our viewpoints and if I feel that I need more support from then onwards, then I will be begging you.

I'm not sure about starting another thread as I hope people will tell their stories on this one, but if it doesn't take off, then I will reconsider starting a new thread.

SO COME ON GUYS, GIVE ME YOUR EMPLOYMENT STORIES AND I WILL START THE BALL ROLLING!

Guest guest569

I think if its a casual job your all after or a self employed position then you should all be treated the same BUT if its a permanent position then obviously an employer would not consider a temp visa holder. :skeptical:

You should also ask if tradespersons are so short of here in SA that they are on the wanted list then why do permanent 136 and 139 visa holders find it hard to find work once allowed in the country ???:wacko:

If you don't mind me naming names Heaps Good is a perfect example !!!:notworthy:

Hi Cazzie

I don't mind you using any of my posts regarding the subject and will look back in my e-mail to see if I kept the e-mails stating that due to my visa status they would not accept my application and to apply again when we have received pr - something we applied for back in September and still not heard anything due to major delays that they have. I spoke to immigration on Friday and they have advised that we are still months off getting pr. They have provided us with a bridging visa as our temp (495) runs out in March due to our three years being up - so it's not that we haven't given it our best shot and tried - have also pm'd you

Guest tooeasy

electricians are on the list too i know somewho have been looking for work for ages and with the recent changes to obtaining an electrical licence it will only make it harder for them to find work too its crazy they say they are screaming out for sparkies then make it harder for them to get a licence :confused:

Is it alright to cross post this in PIO and Brits abroad etc etc.

It doesn't appear to be just a state issue?

Hello,

Yes, yes, yes! Please do cross post to PIO and whatever sites you like. Thank you so much.

I think if its a casual job your all after or a self employed position then you should all be treated the same BUT if its a permanent position then obviously an employer would not consider a temp visa holder. :skeptical:

You should also ask if tradespersons are so short of here in SA that they are on the wanted list then why do permanent 136 and 139 visa holders find it hard to find work once allowed in the country ???:wacko:

If you don't mind me naming names Heaps Good is a perfect example !!!:notworthy:

Hiya Passionate Pom,Thanks for your reply. I understand your viewpoint but why shouldn't an employer consider a temporary/provisional visa holder for a permanent job? The point is that all of us here are on temp/provisional visas with a view to becoming permanent, not just here for a six month fruit picking experience. People have packed up their lives in England and settled their children here and deserve the chance to have a decent job on decent pay. I really don't see why the visa status should put employers off.

Thanks for your other salient points. I will be addressing these too and will print off your post for the MPs to take note of. Cheers.

Hi Cazzie

I don't mind you using any of my posts regarding the subject and will look back in my e-mail to see if I kept the e-mails stating that due to my visa status they would not accept my application and to apply again when we have received pr - something we applied for back in September and still not heard anything due to major delays that they have. I spoke to immigration on Friday and they have advised that we are still months off getting pr. They have provided us with a bridging visa as our temp (495) runs out in March due to our three years being up - so it's not that we haven't given it our best shot and tried - have also pm'd you

Thanks so much for your PM, very valuable information there to use. Keep smiling!

Hi Cazzie

Glad some of it may help.

I have also found two e-mails from two different companies (obviously) saying that they would not accept my application due to visa status 'however please do not hesitate to reapply when you have received your permanent residency'.

One of them had not even stated pr in their advert at the time

If you want to have these if you pm me your e-mail address I will happily forward them to you so that you have extra proof in case they try to deny it happens as these were both major companies!

Still smiling :-)

Guest mancs in oz

Hi cazzie,

We have a perment visa, and my husband is a gasfitter, and he can't get a job in this trade because of these new changes in the laws re licence's, we have been to buisness of consumer affairs to gain his licence and they have given him an apprentice licence!!!! he has 30 years expeirence and ran his own buisness back in the uk and he was trained by british Gas, we was eventually told that he has to go to tafe for a 2 week course before he can gain his first licence, which will only gain him work, with this licence he will not be able to sign off work he will then have to go and get another licnece to be able to sign off work!!!!

But the problem is that tafe are the only place that apparently does this course once a year and it is fully booked up for 2 years, so if he is lucky enough he will get on it in 2 years time if it is not filled up with more apprentices by then.

We got our visa's before the changes for licence's and did not know about them until we got here, if we had known we would of done something about it back in the uk before we came over, we were under the impresstion that when we got here all we had to do was arrange for an assessment/exam, and when passed he will get his licence.

He has been to lots of interviews and been offered a job at every interview, only to be turned down when he produces this apprentice licence that he has been given by BOCA. We enquired as to why he has been given an apprentice licence and all we got was that is the licence you get given until you have been on this course, we paid $350 for that licence and it has got him nowhere. I have telephone and written to the local MP 2 weeks ago now and still not got a reply (we live in fulham gardens area) so if you can get a response from your local mp as to why they are asking for tradespeople to come here and then when they get here they are not allowing them to work? WHY

We was told that this is happing a lot and quite a few are going back home because of it, as my husband is thinking of doing!!! the employers are just as frustrated as us potential employees with this frustrating situation. For my hubby (and me) getting a job is no problem it is just the changes in the licenceing laws/goverment that is stopping him and me from working in our choosen professtions as it is the same for my profestion, i am a nursery nurse back home, and was told that mine is ok and will be recognise and just changed over, ohhhhhhhhhhhh nooooooooo i have to do either part-time work (at the lowest paid grade) or voluntary work for 2 years and then get an asser to come along and assess me after that!!!!!!!!!!! I have got a job in child care, but had to give it up because the rate of pay is just not enough to support us with food, rent and bills, with my hubby not being able to work in his trade, and can only get bits of jobs here and there, because when you do actually apply for other different jobs, you never get any respone/reply back, So what do you do????????????????

I know it is not the same issues as you but thought i will let you know of other issues we have to deal with out here.

will be interesting to see what comes of these issues? Good luck with your fight, Good on ya girl, hope you get a better result than we have got ie:- No response as yet? but they may be busy

Hi there

I am in two minds on this one. I think it may be a good idea as I have been looking at jobs and alot do state you have to have PR, however, my concern is for those of us who haven't got visas (475 in my case) as yet, this could possibly lead the Government to re-look at their immigration policies and change them.

Lisa

Guest rockpool crab
Hello all,

I have written to our local MP Chloe Fox regarding the issues of the difficulties of finding a job while on a temporary visa. She has replied very quickly to say that she was unaware of this problem and has offered to make me an appointment with herself and also with a Federal MP as immigration is a Federal issue. I am going to discuss all aspects of the problems that some of us are facing but want to know if it is ok by PIA members if I print off some of the posts and show the MPs as proof of some of the issues. If people do not want me to do this, then of course I will respect that. Any thoughts/ideas/comments would be appreciated. Thanks.

Cazzie..you are a godsend. I've only just got in from a wee night out but will PM you with information we have collated too (tomorrow)... But a typical example was a job advert in the Advertiser today which my husband is sooooo suited for "Community Correctional Officer"...the job description is practially his job when he was in the prison service. I showed it to him and the first thing he said "it's a govenment job..so what's the point". Grrrrrrr...I had a look at the form online and noticed that it had different categories of how long they can employee you and on what basis and Contract was one option ..and 12 months was another. I appreciate the job advertised was permanent but I said he should write a letter and state that he'd take contracting work till he becomes a permanent resident...he didn't seem to keen but I think it's worth a shot. I wish I'd known that the 475 barred you from Government jobs though...there was never aaaaany mention of this anywhere..no-one told us. Sigh.

It's a tough world over here..but we just have to keep plugging away, I never thought it would be easy but it does feel discriminating :-(

Cazzie..just so chuffed you're taking this under your wing...well done..I totally applaud you.

Carol Ann

Guest Lulujim
The point is that all of us here are on temp/provisional visas with a view to becoming permanent, not just here for a six month fruit picking experience. People have packed up their lives in England and settled their children here and deserve the chance to have a decent job on decent pay.

Hi Cazzie - I completely agree with you. All of us on a 475 are only going on that visa type as that is our only way in to Adelaide. If we could be PRs (with all the benefits that come with that) - Of course we would be. It is frustrating enough that the government will take 475ers taxes etc.. but not provide the benefits that PRs get. I am not complaining, and have never done so - I am extremely grateful of the chance we have got to come to Asutralia - but I find it frustrating that the government sponsor us to come over as our jobs are apparently in demand in SA, then when you apply for these jobs - we are not even considered for being on this sponsored visa???? :arghh:

Good luck and keep us informed! x

Hi Cazzie

Glad some of it may help.

I have also found two e-mails from two different companies (obviously) saying that they would not accept my application due to visa status 'however please do not hesitate to reapply when you have received your permanent residency'.

One of them had not even stated pr in their advert at the time

If you want to have these if you pm me your e-mail address I will happily forward them to you so that you have extra proof in case they try to deny it happens as these were both major companies!

Still smiling :-)

Thanks Devon, I will PM you later with my email address - off fishing now!

Guest cornish Busdriver

G,day Cassie.

Not trying to knock your idea cause i think its great but everyone should have got an idea what the situation is here before they make the move though contacting employers and research.

My missus is a theater nurse with know problems for work but I found it a pain that only my car and bike licence is valid here so i would have to retake my bus licence plus pay for medical, police check, accreditation but also found out all this before hand and excepted that the way things are done here, its a bummer but thats the system.

We were gonna come over on a temp visa but decided it would cause as lot of hassel this end with a temp visa so we bided our time and went for a PR instead.

The information is out there if people research about what qulifications are excepted and if they gotta re-train plus if employers except temp visa or PR and residendent only.

Please dont get me wrong, im not Knocking anyone who took the quick option by going for the temp visa but they should have research what restrictions or downsides come with it.

Good luck with your meeting and hope that you can get your points across to them.

Guest Lulujim

The information is out there if people research about what qulifications are excepted and if they gotta re-train plus if employers except temp visa or PR and residendent only.

Please dont get me wrong, im not Knocking anyone who took the quick option by going for the temp visa but they should have research what restrictions or downsides come with it./quote]

Hi Matt,

I completely understand what you are saying - and agree that a lot of people don't research things about Australia properly before moving there. Especially regarding re-training, finances, shopping, cost of living, schools etc etc.. BUT with job hunting it's very hard.

Most people know that it's very hard to job hunt from the UK - especially if you work in offices/management etc.. agencies and companies won't even CONSIDER your application until you are in Australia.

My OH applied to 8 different agencies and 5 companies directly ALL of which said wait til we have our visa in hand before even sending his CV. (and once you've gone that far you are definitely moving to Aus surely??) He even went in to Hender Consulting, Stillwell, Hays and a couple more when we were in Adelaide on our recce. Even then they said - only apply for jobs when we had our visa. He asked all whether the 475 would hinder him, and was told the official party line 'No - it doesn't affect anything'.

Since we've been home he's applied as a Sports Development Officer for Tea Tree Gully Council and was told that as he was a 475er, it was pointless.

So - we did try and do as much research as poss, and have found that it didn't help! :nah:

I think in some things there is only so much research you can do from the UK.

G,day Cassie.

Not trying to knock your idea cause i think its great but everyone should have got an idea what the situation is here before they make the move though contacting employers and research.

My missus is a theater nurse with know problems for work but I found it a pain that only my car and bike licence is valid here so i would have to retake my bus licence plus pay for medical, police check, accreditation but also found out all this before hand and excepted that the way things are done here, its a bummer but thats the system.

We were gonna come over on a temp visa but decided it would cause as lot of hassel this end with a temp visa so we bided our time and went for a PR instead.

Please dont get me wrong, im not Knocking anyone who took the quick option by going for the temp visa but they should have research what restrictions

or downsides come with it.

Good luck with your meeting and hope that you can get your points across to them.

this is exactly why we went for permanent residency i think temp visas done seem to work in anyones favour. Only people ive really known them be successful for is young people with no families. Governemnt jobs arent always open to pr visas either most want citizenship too.

It really does stick in my throat though that they are desperate for skilled people to come here and then they treat them like third class citizens.

I have to go with what Cornish bus driver says. We did do a lot of research and I realised quite a few posts I was looking at was for PR and since lodging our visa - it seems there are no jobs for my area anymore and I have looked at other states and they are asking for PR as well. I have emailed my professional body in Australia and they have basically said its the luck of the draw! However, we are willing to accept any position we can no matter if its just cleaning the streets until I can find a job in my field offering a position to TR.

Like our migration agent says " There are no shortcuts to anywhere worth going"!

I do though wonder if there is any resentment to people going over and looking for jobs - does anyone think this could be the reason it seems to prove difficult to get a job?

Just my thoughts!

Lisa

Guest guest569
Hiya Passionate Pom,Thanks for your reply. I understand your viewpoint but why shouldn't an employer consider a temporary/provisional visa holder for a permanent job? The point is that all of us here are on temp/provisional visas with a view to becoming permanent, not just here for a six month fruit picking experience. People have packed up their lives in England and settled their children here and deserve the chance to have a decent job on decent pay. I really don't see why the visa status should put employers off.

Thanks for your other salient points. I will be addressing these too and will print off your post for the MPs to take note of. Cheers.

Hi Cazzie,

good valuable point there. :wubclub: After all even people on PR turn around and return to the Uk.I suppose each case has to be taken individualy.