Teenagers? how to persuade them to relocate?

Guest Lizy

Hi, (Newby!)

We are hoping to relocate to Adelaide asap if we get a subclass 163 visa acceptance (got Adelaide sponsorship Jan 09) Our 14 year old son is up for it but my 16 year old daughter is not:sad:

I think she thinks there are no teenagers out there!!! we are coming over for the month in April to try to show her a little bit of how life is there. She is crazy about dance so I am trying to track down street dance/ hip-hop schools if anyone knows any we could visit?

So if anyone has been through the same sort of thing, any advice/help would be great!

Thanks

Liz

Guest Blackcat

Hi Liz

I have a 12 year old daughter and a 17 year old son, have been here about 14 months now. Luckily for us Adam who was 16 at the time really wanted to come, although think he did find it hard at first is now really settled and said he never wants to go back! My daughter does dancing at Panache dance studio its in Blackwood, they do all sorts of different types of dance and have a big show once a year. I am sure there are alot more dance schools, but will depend where you want to settle. Will she be continuing at school? If so Blackwood High School do a lot of performing arts there. Think it is harder for the teenagers when they arrive, but everyone is really helpful and friendly, good luck, Gina

Guest Tiddlypush

Hi try this website http://www.ausdance.org.au/ for info on dance in SA. I googled dance schools and came up with quite a few but would have liked more web sites. By the way our 20 year old doesnt want to come which will be heartbreaking but im not labourig the point to her but taking her with us and her 13 year old sister for a holdiay in april to see what she thinks. We are also putting her on visa letting her finish her degree in uk and let nature take its course. we will have to see.

karen

Hi,we came out Sept 08 with our sons 16 and 18.16 yr old refuses to settle in,and spends all his time indoors longing to be back home,in a very depressed mood,on the net all the time to his mates.He blames us for ruining his life,and its not nice,my wife is really upset about the way he is.The 18 yr old was the same for 3 months,so you can imagine!Then,Halleluja,he started coming around slightly.We came here for them and their future,but you cant reason with Teenagers.We understand,as theyve got loads of mates at home,and really enjoyed their Lifestyle at home,out all the time etc,then we bring them here and they know no one.But one day they will realise why we came to Adelaide.It is the right decision for their future,and thats what all parents want for their kids.Good Luck,dont waver.

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I think if you bring a teenager who doesnt want to come you are in for a rough ride. Teenagers can be very selfish creatures who think nothing of making you feel guilty, they can do it very well and for a LONG time.! If they are determined not to like it then they wont!

I have met a few families with teenagers who have sent the parents to hell and back.

Only you know what you teenager is like, are they the selfish type and the type to give you a hard time regardless of wether they actually like it or are they the type to dig in and get on with it? Fortunatly for us our almost 17yr old couldnt wait to get here and went back a yr in school, my almost 14 yr old was not so keen, I gave her the option (tongue in cheek) of ataying in the UK with her nans. She came and got stuck and has never wanted to go back other than for a visit.

School, IMO, is a must, it is hard for some teenagers to come here and get a job or apprenticeship without going to school where I think it is much easier for them to make a friendship base. Once they have friends they seem to get better especially once they can then drive.

Might be worth a look here : http://www.gravitydance.com.au/ - they also run Musical Theatre classes there and are putting on a production of Honk in April - if it's the date's while you are here you could perhaps take your daughter along so she can see the sort of thing she could get involved with. If Musical Theatre/Choreography is her thing, I can also highly recommend the summer camp (not residential) that these people do each January - www.pelicanproductions.com.au - they do a senior group which goes up to 18 or 19 I think and there are lots of kids in the older range who attend.

Good luck and I hope you find something to sway her opinions!

D

Thanks for all the ideas, its a great help. I am going to try the silent route for a bit! thought by talking about it a lot it would help sink in but maybe it has done the opposite?!

My daughter sort of looked over my shoulder at the web sites!!!!! So thats a start!

Thanks again

liz X

Hi, (Newby!)

We are hoping to relocate to Adelaide asap if we get a subclass 163 visa acceptance (got Adelaide sponsorship Jan 09) Our 14 year old son is up for it but my 16 year old daughter is not:sad:

I think she thinks there are no teenagers out there!!! we are coming over for the month in April to try to show her a little bit of how life is there. She is crazy about dance so I am trying to track down street dance/ hip-hop schools if anyone knows any we could visit?

So if anyone has been through the same sort of thing, any advice/help would be great!

Thanks

Liz

Hi Liz, and GOOD LUCK.

I also have beem in the same situation , and believe me its not going to be easy.

Our daughter whos 18 nearly 19 as decided that she wants to stay in the uk , and live with her nanna , she is still in college and also has a longtime boyfriend etc ..

Our son who is 11 , is not a problem and also has no choice really ,but he will make friends and settle well.

We have been to adelaide twice ,our best friends live there , and our daughter as been twice , she likes adelaide but not enough to live there ,she says, but also respects its our choice to go and she wishes us well etc .. However we have only just returned after 5 weeks there over xmas , but at least she as activated her visa and as 5 years to hopefully follow us there ,it will break my heart to leave her behind , but we dont really have a choice. Hopefully as she gets older she will miss us all and also realise that there isnt much for her in the uk and will join us , with her boyfriend if there still together. That is my dream and hope.

We are just waiting to sell the house and then we shall be gone , sooner rather than later , i hope , but the housing market is so slow at present.

I do hope you manage to persuade her to come with you , for good , maybe your reccie will help her change her mind, as adelaide is such a lovely place.

Good luck again , and i hope you succeed.

Louise.

Guest BAZnDAF

Hi,

I guess I'm in a slightly different position, as my girls are from a previous mariage. I have told them (the 2 younger ones 17 and 14) that they must validate their visa's, if they decide to stay in the UK, so be it. but at least they then have the option. Worst is that my eldest is 22, and I have no way of getting her onto my visa, the only possible way is to sponsor her once we are there.

Thing is, once they get to 18 they could go off anyway to anywhere they wanted, at least this way they have the option of a different life if they so choose.

Barry.

Thanks for that Barry.

My daughter is 18 a year May and all her friends will be off to universitiy so maybe she will look at things differently then....that is why I have put her on the visa....just in case!

Hope it all sorts out for you.....kids hey!

Liz