Should I worry about my BMI

Guest craigf

Hi,

We are new to this site. We have been reading alot and everyone is so supportive and helpful. This has helped us through the process.

I do have a worry though - We have had our xrays yesterday - all fine but we have our medicals on 17th February. There are 4 of us myself (36) hubby (39), son (14) daughter (13).

My main worry (infact I'm losing sleep over it) is that I am only 4" 11 and my weight is 13st 7, therefore my BMI is around 38.

Does anyone know what will happen about this? I am worried I will stop us getting into Australia, My Blood pressure is fine and I am very healthy.

I am very top heavy will they take this into account? Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Reccie to Australia - July 08

Visa Applied - Oct 2008

Police Checks and Medical - February 09

CO assigned - Still waiting

Visa Granted - Still waiting

House Sold - On Market

As far as i know, as long as you are all healthy, this will not cause any problems. BMI is only an indicator, but they never even checked our BMI when we did it. They are basically looking to see if you will be a burden on the health service when you get here (as far as i could tell from our medical people). Hope this helps to put your mind at ease a little.

Shaun

Guest familygood

I was a bit worried about this too and asked our Migration advisor and they said as above that as long as you have non ongoiing helath conditions that would mean a financial burden to the health service in Aus that you are fine. Phew!! Still trying to lose a few pouds just in case!!

Guest Farrows

We had our medicals sept and they did not check our BMI - we were weighed, height measure, blood pressure, eyesight, blood test, chest x-ray and I think that was it! I was worried beforer medical but no reason to be , the Dr that did ours was great especially with our children 2 very inquisitive boys!! I hope this helps and sure all will be fine.

Good luck

Becki

Off to Adelaide 9/9/09:D

Guest hel&sam

hiya, we had our medicals on 12th jan (what sort of time of year is that to get weighed!!!) anyway our doctor said that it wasnt an issue they were only bothered it it indicated any secondary condition like arthritis, high bp, heart problems etc, weight on its own isnt an issue as long as your otherwise healthy.

good luck, they really arent as bad as you think, i too lost sleep unnecessarily.

Helen.

x

Thank you, this whole process have been very stressful but hopefully we are at the last hurdle.

I just wish the medical was over. It's making me lose sleep. I am at the gym every other day and swimming in between so at least I'm trying to lose some weight.

A breast reduction wouldn't go a miss they weigh 6 llb each!:wacko:

Guest Carl Hallam

hi when i had mine done last Oct, i am classed as obise, 6,3" male and 18st, the doctor also laughed when he read on his chart that i should be around 10st, and i needed to lose weight equivelent to my eldest 13 daughter, and he added that as the rest of my medical was fine ( no probs because of wight ) then he has to class me as fit.

Hi there

Our medicals are in 4 weeks and I went into decline as my rowing machine broke - as I have been trying to keep fit for the meds. Thankfully I have a new one so feel happy about that. However, my worry is my liver!!! Not that we are big drinkers as we dont drink during the week but come a weekend we like a glass or 10 of wine!!!! Hubby said we need to get on rower, eat more healthily than usual and stop drinking on a weekend b4 the meds and I really dont want to give up me glass of wine on wkend.

I really hope they dont check liver, BMI, cholesterol, etc :unsure: cos that will be me out.

I have read the other posts and I think as long as we are all fit and healthy then we should all be fine x

Lisa

Guest Nicky&Andy

at the time of our meds last year weight wasnt brought up i'm 5ft2 and heavier than i should be, tend to carry alot round my middle (my mum say's it a wine belly!) we did intend to cut back on the drinking , but the meds crept up quickly before we had a chance, as long as your healthy with no ongoing health issues, you should be ok,

we enjoyed our meds in the end (we had a great doc to do ours , who wished he'd done the same when his kids were younger)

good luck

nicky

Thank you everyone. I feel much better about our medicals.

I downloaded our medical forms from the document checklist page however, my daughter form has my father in laws name and d.o.b. on it - weird.

I have had to download a blank form for her. We have contacted diac but they won't get message until Monday. My father in law isn't even coming with us??

Anyway after reading through the form it doesn't even mention BMI on it, maybe its because we are going on a temporary visa?? who knows.

Anyway thanks again everyone, I look forward to a sleep tonight. :notworthy:

Hey,

When my meds were done and my BMI was worked out i too was 38!

You MAY be asked to get a few extra tests, i know i was, to make sure there are no links to underlying problems....!

We got our visa shortly after, so as long as you are generally healthy and dont pose a cost to Medicare, no probs should u have!

Dan

Well, being a goddess with an hourglass figure, a stomach you can bounce 10p pieces off, and only just in a size 6;we can all dream peeps!:P; i can tell you now............................fear not.

Although obesity is a problem here in oz; the bmi is just an indicator of future health problems. Blood tests and x-rays are really what the bods are interested in; you can loose weight, but you cant loose HIV!