MP meeting Weds 25th Feb

Guest cazzie

Hi,

Just to let you know that I have a meeting with Federal MP Don Farrell's PA on Wednesday 25th February at 11am concerning immigration issues. After looking at the many emails, PMs and posts, some as far away as Melbourne, the main issues for discussion will be:

1. Being refused work on the basis of having a provisional visa and not PR, plus the great difficulty in finding work generally.

2. Issues concerning Medicare and the impact of Medicare not being provided on certain visas.

3. PR taking up to another 12 months to be granted(Why?) after the 2 year stay and employers not being willing to accept employment despite a bridging visa being obtained.

4. Being classed as an 'International Student' when you are married to an Australian citizen which means that the university fees are astronomical (my own issue).

5. Skills shortage profession qualifications being stamped by Australia (to gain particular visas) but then not being recognised as being comparable to Australian qualifications - leading to further study(as an international student at great cost). These courses could be shorter and cost less.

6. Job agency issues.

Plus anything else that is problematic that you would like me to bring up.

I am not asking anyone on PIA to agree with these statements/issues - if none of these affect you that's great.

If they do affect you but you accept that this is the Australian way and you are happy to abide by their rules, that's great too.

But for the many who have contacted me and told me your issues, I am happy to take them forward.

Please contact me by PM or email on: ceclarke8@yahoo.co.uk if you would like privacy or post onto this thread if you are happy to be public and for me to print off the evidence for the MP.

Many thanks to everyone for their views, positive and otherwise so far.

Hi Suzer,

Yes, but it's a start. Don Farrell will be in Canberra and I wanted to start the ball rolling asap. We have got to start somewhere and there is plenty of evidence. Hope you are ok and thanks for your imput.

PS I have just spoken to the PA who assures me that she is there to help, that everything will be presented to Don and an appointment will be made with him at that point.

Guest cunnah10
Hi,

Just to let you know that I have a meeting with Federal MP Don Farrell's PA on Wednesday 25th February at 11am concerning immigration issues. After looking at the many emails, PMs and posts, some as far away as Melbourne, the main issues for discussion will be:

1. Being refused work on the basis of having a provisional visa and not PR, plus the great difficulty in finding work generally.

2. Issues concerning Medicare and the impact of Medicare not being provided on certain visas.

3. PR taking up to another 12 months to be granted(Why?) after the 2 year stay and employers not being willing to accept employment despite a bridging visa being obtained.

4. Being classed as an 'International Student' when you are married to an Australian citizen which means that the university fees are astronomical (my own issue).

5. Skills shortage profession qualifications being stamped by Australia (to gain particular visas) but then not being recognised as being comparable to Australian qualifications - leading to further study(as an international student at great cost). These courses could be shorter and cost less.

6. Job agency issues.

Plus anything else that is problematic that you would like me to bring up.

I am not asking anyone on PIA to agree with these statements/issues - if none of these affect you that's great.

If they do affect you but you accept that this is the Australian way and you are happy to abide by their rules, that's great too.

But for the many who have contacted me and told me your issues, I am happy to take them forward.

Please contact me by PM or email on: ceclarke8@yahoo.co.uk if you would like privacy or post onto this thread if you are happy to be public and for me to print off the evidence for the MP.

Many thanks to everyone for their views, positive and otherwise so far.

good for you Cazzie...about time something was done and all these problems were highlighted....

My OH doesn't go in this or any other forums BUT when i told him about your thread he read it with great interest and really admired you for taking these issues further!

Having spoken to quite a few other people lately it is amazing to hear how they also feel about things the way they really are here...okay granted NOT for all of us BUT certainly for a lot of us!

It seems that a lot of people are too scared to say it as it really is on this forum now in fear of being shot down...as if they are seen as complaining about being in Adelaide be it for any reason then some members on here seem to just grow horns and get realy quite nasty and very personal!

the truth of the matter is relocating to the otherside of the world (to Adelaide)is no doubt the best thing since sliced bread for "SOME" people BUT sadly not for all!For some of us we were kidded right from the start....if you are lucky enough to come out on a permanent visa and you get yourself a good job then thats fantastic...but please do not have a go at us other people who were not "lucky" enough to come out on these permanent visas with none of the added benefits that you other guys get..that make a hell of a difference!

my argument is...if we are all accepted to come out here...then we should all be EQUAL!

After all they are trying to sell South Australia back home in the UK on every TV channel,radio channel and newspaper that they can...and so it should be the governments duty to look after us ALL!

Good luck Cazzie...you deserve a medal!!

Gill

my argument is...if we are all accepted to come out here...then we should all be EQUAL!

This is what I have been saying for yonks. There should be one visa for all. Having loads of different visas makes life confusing for everyone. To me it should be black and white. You either can go to Oz to live like everyone else or you can't. Whats all the half measures about? Yes or No.

Pete

glad I've got that off my chest

Guest cunnah10
This is what I have been saying for yonks. There should be one visa for all. Having loads of different visas makes life confusing for everyone. To me it should be black and white. You either can go to Oz to live like everyone else or you can't. Whats all the half measures about? Yes or No.

Pete

thanks Pete....my chest feels a bit lighter for getting that off also!!!!

Guest sarahsmartiepants
It seems that a lot of people are too scared to say it as it really is on this forum now in fear of being shot down...as if they are seen as complaining about being in Adelaide be it for any reason then some members on here seem to just grow horns and get realy quite nasty and very personal!

the truth of the matter is relocating to the otherside of the world (to Adelaide)is no doubt the best thing since sliced bread for "SOME" people BUT sadly not for all!For some of us we were kidded right from the start...

if you are lucky enough to come out on a permanent visa and you get yourself a good job then thats fantastic...but please do not have a go at us other people who were not "lucky" enough to come out on these permanent visas with none of the added benefits that you other guys get..that make a hell of a difference!

Gill

No ofence here Gill, but when people get their visas they should learn what the visa means to them as a family, there is plenty of infomation on forums just like this and other places.

You are right, there are a few people that dont like it when you say bad things about living in OZ. I used to point out the bad things, now I dont bother as I find the rosy glasses that the people who havent got here yet wear, stop them reading things they dont necessarily want to know.

In an ideal world you are also right ,we should be equal, but we are not unfortunatly.

sarah

PS Good luck Cazzie with your venture, I hope you get somewhere with it

Pete

Hi,

there was a time not so long ago before sir visa's when it was yes or no, unfortunatly it was no for a lot more people then, Aus lowered the points mark to allow more people in, but that was because Aus needs more people, it was not an act of charity, and I think skilled/independent visas should be equal. Good luck Cazzie I think the goverment should be made aware of the problems people face, as for myself, I feel uncomfortable agreeing to a set of conditons to get here and then complaining about them, but then again I have been fortunate upto now.

good luck

Simon:):)

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi,

there was a time not so long ago before sir visa's when it was yes or no, unfortunatly it was no for a lot more people then, Aus lowered the points mark to allow more people in, but that was because Aus needs more people, it was not an act of charity, and I think skilled/independent visas should be equal. Good luck Cazzie I think the goverment should be made aware of the problems people face, as for myself, I feel uncomfortable agreeing to a set of conditons to get here and then complaining about them, but then again I have been fortunate upto now.

good luck

Simon:):)

I should have said that too, the temporary visa has opened up the door to many other people who it would of been a no to.

I am really interested in the outcome of your visit Cazzie and share opinions with many people who have commented on this issue. I do agree that once you accept the conditions of a temporary visa then you should be prepared for what lies ahead, we are one of those families that without the temporary visa could not make take this huge opportunity to move to Australia, for that I am so thank ful. I am although completely behind you with what you are doing and can't wait to see the results.

We are heading out in June with no job offers (as yet) and roughly enough money to last 3-4months without work, to say we are nervous is an understatement but we are prepared for the worst. I congratulate you on your efforts and look forward to reading the outcome.

Denise

Guest cunnah10
No ofence here Gill, but when people get their visas they should learn what the visa means to them as a family, there is plenty of infomation on forums just like this and other places.

You are right, there are a few people that dont like it when you say bad things about living in OZ. I used to point out the bad things, now I dont bother as I find the rosy glasses that the people who havent got here yet wear, stop them reading things they dont necessarily want to know.

In an ideal world you are also right ,we should be equal, but we are not unfortunatly.

sarah

PS Good luck Cazzie with your venture, I hope you get somewhere with it

Hear what you are saying sarah....BUT like many others who come over on a 475 (or temp visa)..we scored our 60 points...OH was a Telecom engineer ..and our agent pumped us with so much crap..telling us that Telecom engineers were in demand etc etc etc...and yes we did do our own research with the help of other Telecom guys from PIA AND we did realize before we came that getting a job in the Telecom Industry was more a less impossible....BUT we took the chance and still came out(be it on an ETA initially which was a huge gamble as we were so determined...some may say it is our own fault)

My OH knew from the start he would have to find another job other than Telecom(although this is what he has done for over 20 years AND this is what his visa application scored him top points for)

Anyway he did get a job....promised him this and that...it cost him $18000 to get himself set up before he could even work for this company(which i won't name)and since he started mid December they have paid him the huge amount of $2000 in TOTAL !

we can NOT survive with 4 kids on such a pathetic wage...$2000 over the last 8 weeks (which is less than $300 per week)

Doesn't even cover our rent!

As i say being on the 475 we are NOT entitled to any other help whatsoever!!!

FORGIVE ME FOR BEING BITTER....BUT LIKE I HAVE SAID WE SHOULD ALL BE "EQUAL"

We are going back to the UK for very personal reasons on top of all this......for us as a family we think that this is the right decision....it has been a struggle..we tried so hard to "live" the dream...and we have lots of lovely memories to take back with us..and we have made some wonderful friends who we adore and will miss dearly (you know who you are...and true friends respect your decisions in life and remain friends..no matter were we all live)

Good luck to you all..i have not meant to upset or offend anybody BUT i had some things i needed to say!

My emotions are all over the place at the moment i admit BUT thank you to the people who have sent me such lovely messages

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hear what you are saying sarah....BUT like many others who come over on a 475 (or temp visa)..we scored our 60 points...OH was a Telecom engineer ..and our agent pumped us with so much crap..telling us that Telecom engineers were in demand etc etc etc...and yes we did do our own research with the help of other Telecom guys from PIA AND we did realize before we came that getting a job in the Telecom Industry was more a less impossible....BUT we took the chance and still came out(be it on an ETA initially which was a huge gamble as we were so determined...some may say it is our own fault)

My OH knew from the start he would have to find another job other than Telecom(although this is what he has done for over 20 years AND this is what his visa application scored him top points for)

Anyway he did get a job....promised him this and that...it cost him $18000 to get himself set up before he could even work for this company(which i won't name)and since he started mid December they have paid him the huge amount of $2000 in TOTAL !

we can NOT survive with 4 kids on such a pathetic wage...$2000 over the last 8 weeks (which is less than $300 per week)

Doesn't even cover our rent!

As i say being on the 475 we are NOT entitled to any other help whatsoever!!!

FORGIVE ME FOR BEING BITTER....BUT LIKE I HAVE SAID WE SHOULD ALL BE "EQUAL"

We are going back to the UK for very personal reasons on top of all this......for us as a family we think that this is the right decision....it has been a struggle..we tried so hard to "live" the dream...and we have lots of lovely memories to take back with us..and we have made some wonderful friends who we adore and will miss dearly (you know who you are...and true friends respect your decisions in life and remain friends..no matter were we all live)

Good luck to you all..i have not meant to upset or offend anybody BUT i had some things i needed to say!

My emotions are all over the place at the moment i admit BUT thank you to the people who have sent me such lovely messages

I dont think you have upset or offended anyone Gill. You must do what is right for you.

The things you have gone through, you are not the only ones, things do get better with time. It is up to you how much time you give it as a family.

good luck

sarah

Having come out on a 495 I knew what we were/weren't entitled to and can SORT OF accept this. ie to get pr I have to play by their rules HOWEVER what really annoys me is once I've done my 2 years I've gotta wait another 12 months just to get pr. Nothing is backdated!!!

How long does it take to show you've worked full time for 12 months, lived here for 24 months and kept your nose out of any trouble!!!!!!!

Why should the 495s be given a priority for processing when 887s, who've jumped through all the hoops have to wait til last!!!!!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

Guest graandjac

I guess if its looked at from a Governing body 's point of view, some immigrants ( thats what we are) are concidered a greater risk than others...??it does seem along time to wait .....3 years........after all if on a temp you have made it to 2 years you have more than proved yourself

I guess if its looked at from a Governing body 's point of view, some immigrants ( thats what we are) are concidered a greater risk than others...??it does seem along time to wait .....3 years........after all if on a temp you have made it to 2 years you have more than proved yourself

So glad you edited your post ;)- was a bit close to home so I was going to bite after I finished my dinner :P:biglaugh:

Guest graandjac
So glad you edited your post was a bit close to home so I was going to bite after I finished my dinner :P:biglaugh:

Dont know what you mean:goofy: see i can be diplomatic:o.....lol

I'm not sure if risk is the right word, i'm not sure what the right word is either:confused:, the sir visa holders have been sponsored by a state government to meet the local needs and in return agree to stay in that state in a area agreed for two years, maybe this should be enough of a restriction without the others ( that i'm not complaining about). You need 120 points for PR visa and with state sponsorship you will have 110 for SIR visa, if you look at the way points are awarded and how it changes I don't think SIR visa's are any more of a risk, for example if I had applied 2 months earlier I would have been 39 and not 40 this would have given me 120 points and a PR visa, if I had applied 2 months later my skill would have been on MODL list this also would have given me enough points for a PR visa, a little later and taking an English test could have got me the extra points for PR, I am happy to be here with the restrictions I agreed to, but for some the restrictions themselves are what makes it likely that they will not make a success of the move to Australia, although I think the one thing that does need to happen somehow is for provisional visa holders to get the same chance of employment as anyone else as this is a right of the SIR visa and it is clearly not happening, for whatever reason.

Simon:D:D

Hi all

I have issues with this but not going to go there as I have expressed them before. I was told we could go over on the 475 as a legal librarian, yet when I have looked for positions via agencies, Adelaide Now, etc and also signed up to my professional body there for help - there are no jobs in SA for my profession at all. It is beyond belief that its on the list and no jobs, however, I think we have been given a way in via the backdoor so to say and I am willing to come over and hope for the best. I have done research and still doing research into what is provided (or lack of it) on the 475.

If I am honest, I am waivering a bit, espeically due to the current economic climate. Leaving everything here and coming to the unknown without a job, etc. I am willing to find work where I can but I think the nerves are setting in when I read various threads and look at what is happening to the UK!

I think of the recent news reports here about the British contract workers striking as the Italian, Spanish, etc workers were getting the jobs - I can't help but wonder the same may happen over there when we come over on the 475. I also worry that if we complain too much - they will pull it altogether, as posted before it is the one way for some of us to be able to get in!

Getting a headache now with thinking about it all! :(

Lisa

Hi all

I have issues with this but not going to go there as I have expressed them before. I was told we could go over on the 475 as a legal librarian, yet when I have looked for positions via agencies, Adelaide Now, etc and also signed up to my professional body there for help - there are no jobs in SA for my profession at all. It is beyond belief that its on the list and no jobs, however, I think we have been given a way in via the backdoor so to say and I am willing to come over and hope for the best. I have done research and still doing research into what is provided (or lack of it) on the 475.

If I am honest, I am waivering a bit, espeically due to the current economic climate. Leaving everything here and coming to the unknown without a job, etc. I am willing to find work where I can but I think the nerves are setting in when I read various threads and look at what is happening to the UK!

I think of the recent news reports here about the British contract workers striking as the Italian, Spanish, etc workers were getting the jobs - I can't help but wonder the same may happen over there when we come over on the 475. I also worry that if we complain too much - they will pull it altogether, as posted before it is the one way for some of us to be able to get in!

Getting a headache now with thinking about it all! :(

Lisa

Hi Lisa

It's a frightening thought isn't it, I am really nervous about the job situation but am glad this site has made me aware of it. At least I'm not going over with blinkers on and if we think the worst then it can only get better. I do wonder sometimes though if there are people out there who went on a temporary visa, got a job no problem and are finding it all very easy????????

No body seems to start threads saying , hey, this this and this happened and I'm bloody loving it! Is that because they feel like they are bragging? I would love to see the other side of it (if there is one).

I know if things are bad for me then I would post on this site as the support you get is fantastic, maybe we all just post for support and help in tough times.

Waffling a bit here but would love to see some posts/stories of people on temporary visa's who have found employment no problem and are loving their new life. This wouldnt be taken as a brag but as a positive for the rest of us.

Denise

Hi Lisa

It's a frightening thought isn't it, I am really nervous about the job situation but am glad this site has made me aware of it. At least I'm not going over with blinkers on and if we think the worst then it can only get better. I do wonder sometimes though if there are people out there who went on a temporary visa, got a job no problem and are finding it all very easy????????

No body seems to start threads saying , hey, this this and this happened and I'm bloody loving it! Is that because they feel like they are bragging? I would love to see the other side of it (if there is one).

I know if things are bad for me then I would post on this site as the support you get is fantastic, maybe we all just post for support and help in tough times.

Waffling a bit here but would love to see some posts/stories of people on temporary visa's who have found employment no problem and are loving their new life. This wouldnt be taken as a brag but as a positive for the rest of us.

Denise

Hi Denise,

I think you are right, it WOULD be good to hear a balanced view. There ARE people who have come here on a temporary visa and who have found jobs as I'm sure there must be people who have found the agencies to be helpful (but I haven't heard of any).

At the end of the day, most people who come here do stay so they must find a way for it to work for them.

I also agree that it is good to read about the possible problems you may encounter as it's definitely not a job seekers paradise out here. if you do manage to secure work relatively soon after arriving, then your chances of staying are obviously increased but if you are just eating into savings, it is not a bottomless pit and sooner or later, it will run out - what then?

It is always worth looking at Laura Girling's previous posts too for inspiration.

I also think as Lisa says, that jobs should not be on the list if they are not available - what's the point of that? No point in giving people false hope and as we are finding out, retraining can be very expensive. After retraining, there is still no guarantee of a job.

I'm sure if you read past threads, you will see that lots of people have had a much easier time of it and would highly recommend it. I am fortunate in that I have come here on a spouse visa and poor old Bill has to sponser me - he is doing a sterling job of it too!

I am lucky that Bill was established here for twenty years and has a good job to support us, but if that wasn't the case, it might have been so much harder and we might well have had to go back home too.

I am going to try and find statistics of people who do/do not get jobs and what percentage of people do return to the UK.

Will keep you posted.

Yes, let's have a thread from people who have found it relatively easy and would highly recommend coming over at this point in time.

Hi Cazzie, I think it is good that you have got so far in meeting with someone to raise these issues that you have, my only observations from following this and the other thread would be (addressing your points):

1. Playing devils advocate - from an employers point of view, taking on someone who is here temporarily - which they are, as they may be refused PR - means simply having to recruit again in x amount of time and so is bound to go as a strike against that person. I notice that some jobs also require citizenship so that would need to be addressed too.

Maybe the solution would be a factsheet/letter produced from immigration that potential employees could use with their application to explain the visa situation and the fact that they intend to reside here permanently, this should maybe be included in migrants 'welcome pack' and personalised to them.

2. Out of interest, which visas are not entitled to medicare? I was under the impression that all British residents were covered under the recipriocal agreement which seems pretty much the same as everyone else gets.

3. Totally agree with this, seems a ridiculous situation

4. This seems bizzare also

5. I can see to some degree that practices may differ and maybe a standard short course for immigrants needs to be looked at as a solution, as well as making potential migrants aware of this issues on the immigration websites and at seminars.

6. I have no idea about job agencies

There are lots of people on these threads who are commenting about their job being on the skills list and then no jobs being here. Whilst I appreciate that this is not an ideal situation, it does exist in the UK too, for example, there is always a supposed shortage of nurses and midwives, so you train to be a midwife and (from the area we lived) it was VERY difficult to acutally then get a job!

As I say, I know it is not ideal, but I would ask why people are moving here - is it because as an - insert appropriate job title - you see that your career will be furthered vastly in Australia, or is it because you are lucky enough to have a job that means you qualify to move here, and you just want to move to Australia? I am here on a visa that is also restrictive, and is far from an ideal choice for us, but for us, it was our only chance of getting here, so we took it!

I suppose I am saying, my main concern, is by complaining a lot about this particular fact might lead to a reduction in people being 'eligible' to come.

Regarding the jobs on the list and the lack of those available jobs, the answer to the government is plain - simply remove these occupations from the skills list, however the downside of that is it means that then many people on this site would then be unable to make the move to Australia.

People maybe do need to be more aware of how difficult it can be moving here on a temporary visa, and quite how the restrictions can affect you, but lets be honest, whilst in the UK, not many of us really want to hear that, we want to do anything we can to get to Australia.

Good luck with it

Hi Lisa

Waffling a bit here but would love to see some posts/stories of people on temporary visa's who have found employment no problem and are loving their new life. This wouldn't be taken as a brag but as a positive for the rest of us.

Denise

hi there, i don't normally post but hey here goes, i can assure you i am not bragging in anyway and i am sure there are a lot of people on here who havent had a problem either. we are not rich and do need to work, the same as we did in the uk.

we arrived in January 08 on a SIR 495, hubby (P&D) found work one phone call later.

i decided to take a couple of months off to find rental, settle the cats, unpack furniture etc then i had 2 interviews got 2nd job (QA) no one has queried mine or OH status within oz in employment at all. Got a mortgage no problems, rented a house again no worries. Medicare - both been to doctors a couple of times in the year and cannot praise them enough for the service, only had to pay for prescription (same as i did in the uk) haven't felt i was second best at all. OH had a blood test (again no payment, but did give us a scare as he had blood tests done on the Thursday night, Friday lunch time doctors receptionist rang to say, make an appointment straight away with the doctor to discuss your results, i can assure you i nearly passed out, but he was just so efficient and the results were all clear), both of us have had to have xrays, (had to pay, but took receipts to Medicare and got majority back) for us we didn't mind paying for the xrays as this appointment was instant, results within a week, so for us to get something dealt with so quick (priceless).

i am unsure the same as anyone else how the recession is going to hit us but at the moment everything is just fine, we have no problems with the visa we are as happy as larry, :) but i guess we don't need to go to college, we have no kids, but if we did then maybe it would effect us.

:)