Well, after much preparation the night before - thanks Bill for all your IT help - I had all the evidence on disc and a list of issues which I presented to Don Farrell's PA today.
Don Farrell is actually the Senator for South Australia and deals with mainly employment issues. I explained these issues in the following order:
1. Temporary/provisional visa and implications for employment.
2. Medicare issues and impact of RHCA (Reciprocal Health Care Agreement).
3. PR taking up to 12 months and the impact of a bridging visa with employers.
4. International student classification and fees ( my own gripe).
5. Skills shortage professions - skills forming the basis of the migration application but then being worthless when here and the impact/repercussions.
6. Job agencies issues.
7. On arrival accommodation (yes, from the post this week!)
We discussed these at length and all the evidence was presented. I have taken all names off the posts to ensure anonymity. The PA wrote copious notes and was genuinely very interested in the predicament that many migrants have to face. She will relate everything to Don Farrell and has given me a timeframe of 2 weeks for some answers, which I think is fair enough. They will look at the issues and will contact the various agencies of Immigration, Medicare, Housing, Job Agencies etc for some answers and will report back. She assured me that they were very unhappy to hear that some migrants were returning home because things were just too difficult and wanted to try to ensure that does not worsen.
Anyway, we have started the ball rolling now and I will update you on any progress.
Cheers and thanks again to everyone for their views.