MP meeting update

Guest cazzie

Hi there,

Well, after much preparation the night before - thanks Bill for all your IT help - I had all the evidence on disc and a list of issues which I presented to Don Farrell's PA today.

Don Farrell is actually the Senator for South Australia and deals with mainly employment issues. I explained these issues in the following order:

1. Temporary/provisional visa and implications for employment.

2. Medicare issues and impact of RHCA (Reciprocal Health Care Agreement).

3. PR taking up to 12 months and the impact of a bridging visa with employers.

4. International student classification and fees ( my own gripe).

5. Skills shortage professions - skills forming the basis of the migration application but then being worthless when here and the impact/repercussions.

6. Job agencies issues.

7. On arrival accommodation (yes, from the post this week!)

We discussed these at length and all the evidence was presented. I have taken all names off the posts to ensure anonymity. The PA wrote copious notes and was genuinely very interested in the predicament that many migrants have to face. She will relate everything to Don Farrell and has given me a timeframe of 2 weeks for some answers, which I think is fair enough. They will look at the issues and will contact the various agencies of Immigration, Medicare, Housing, Job Agencies etc for some answers and will report back. She assured me that they were very unhappy to hear that some migrants were returning home because things were just too difficult and wanted to try to ensure that does not worsen.

Anyway, we have started the ball rolling now and I will update you on any progress.

Cheers and thanks again to everyone for their views.

Guest cunnah10
Hi there,

Well, after much preparation the night before - thanks Bill for all your IT help - I had all the evidence on disc and a list of issues which I presented to Don Farrell's PA today.

Don Farrell is actually the Senator for South Australia and deals with mainly employment issues. I explained these issues in the following order:

5. Skills shortage professions - skills forming the basis of the migration application but then being worthless when here and the impact/repercussions.

6. Job agencies issues.

We discussed these at length and all the evidence was presented. I have taken all names off the posts to ensure anonymity. The PA wrote copious notes and was genuinely very interested in the predicament that many migrants have to face. She will relate everything to Don Farrell and has given me a timeframe of 2 weeks for some answers, which I think is fair enough. They will look at the issues and will contact the various agencies of Immigration, Medicare, Housing, Job Agencies etc for some answers and will report back. She assured me that they were very unhappy to hear that some migrants were returning home because things were just too difficult and wanted to try to ensure that does not worsen.

Anyway, we have started the ball rolling now and I will update you on any progress.

well done...as many others will agree on here!

Gill xxxxx

Guest Lulujim

:notworthy:Thanks so much Cazzie. I know this must have taken hours of your time (and Bill's). We really appreciate it, and hope to buy you a drink to thank you when we get to Oz! x

Hi Cazzie & Bill,

Been reading your posts with great interest. Just to say a BIG THANK YOU for all the time and preparation that you have put into this project. I hope that your hard work comes to fruition and something is done to help migrants gain employment and assistance in other areas.

Look forward to hearing the outcome and maybe we can buy you a drink or two once we get our visa !!

Alison x

Guest Dave & Carole

Thank you for all your efforts. I hope they come back with something positive. If we ever get a our 475 Visa - we will hopefully benefit form your hard work.

Carole

A late involvement on my part but well done Cazzie for raising and presenting these issues.

Can I suggest that another person you might want to present your case to (if it becomes necessary) is Senator Chris Evans, Minister for Immigration & Citizenship: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/

Some interesting articles on his website, ironically one dated 7 October 2008 and entitled "Australia’s brain drain biggest on record" http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/media-releases/2008/ce08098.htm

Also one dated 9 February 2009 entitled " New body to regulate migration agents" http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/media-releases/2009/ce09014.htm

A late involvement on my part but well done Cazzie for raising and presenting these issues.

Can I suggest that another person you might want to present your case to (if it becomes necessary) is Senator Chris Evans, Minister for Immigration & Citizenship: http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/

Some interesting articles on his website, ironically one dated 7 October 2008 and entitled "Australia’s brain drain biggest on record" http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/media-releases/2008/ce08098.htm

Also one dated 9 February 2009 entitled " New body to regulate migration agents" http://www.minister.immi.gov.au/media/media-releases/2009/ce09014.htm

Thank you very much everyone and thanks Mubley for these very useful websites. I will definitely be contacting Chris Evans myself if nothing happens soon. I will be contacting them anyway regarding my 'international' student fees - I have had to pay a huge sum to UniSA as an international student, yet I have been told not to attend the international student orientation day because it doesn't really apply to me! So why do the fees have to apply to me? Grrrrrrr! Makes my blood boil!

Thanks again to everyone for their support and good wishes. We will be keeping you to the drink offers - cheers! Will keep you posted on any progress.

Guest covfan71
Thank you very much everyone and thanks Mubley for these very useful websites. I will definitely be contacting Chris Evans myself if nothing happens soon. I will be contacting them anyway regarding my 'international' student fees - I have had to pay a huge sum to UniSA as an international student, yet I have been told not to attend the international student orientation day because it doesn't really apply to me! So why do the fees have to apply to me? Grrrrrrr! Makes my blood boil!

Thanks again to everyone for their support and good wishes. We will be keeping you to the drink offers - cheers! Will keep you posted on any progress.

A big thanks for the Tolan family. It is a problem as some avenues i was interested in have basically been put in the bin. Hopefully your efforts will be rewarded

Guest covfan71
Hi there,

6. Job agencies issues.

Fingers crossed. Look forward to the results