Henley Beach Advise

Guest Lisajonesey

Guest Lisajonesey

Hi everyone...

My boyfriend and I are hoping to get out to Adelaide for June, and are starting to look at where to move to.

We really like the look of Henley beach, but wondered if anyone had any experiences or advise of living there.

We don't have any kids, so schools aren't an issue.

I've seen a few rentals come up around military road.. and just wanted to see what it was like round there... (does it smell.. or will we be ok :wideeyed: )

I know loads of people are flocking to Glenelg, but it's a bit more expensive there, and we need to save our pennies till we secure work over there.. other than Henley beach, could you suggest anywhere else that's not the most expensive area, but it nice and respectable.. and isn't in the middle of nowhere... (as we need to make friends and not be hermits!!)

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Lisa. :cute:

Guest The Dimmock Family

HI.

My work takes me all over SA and indeed Henley Beach on occasions and I think it is OK. I would suggest having a good look at as many suburbs as you can because they all vary!!!

Dean

Guest Chelseadownunder

Hi Lisa,

We are new to Adelaide (Arrived Nov08). What weve picked up is that the Ozzies dont really like to say bad of an area. Wheras in the UK we can say a place is a dump. When we got here our first week was spent in Glenelg which is nice, but bit pricey. Henley Beech is nice. Some Northern suburbs are not so nice (Elizabeth etc..) We are in Hallet Cove which is about 50% Brits (May be over exagerating). We have found it very good for making friends, I guess its because so many people can relate to what youve been through. A bit out of the city though. We also stayed in Forrestville which was still nice even though its close to the city (No sea view though) It was amazing to be just 5 mins from the city and the local tram was so conveniant (As it is in Glenelg).

I hope this helps and if you have any queries about other areas we will try to help or ask local friends for you.

Scott UK

Financial Adviser

Guest panther
Hi everyone...

My boyfriend and I are hoping to get out to Adelaide for June, and are starting to look at where to move to.

We really like the look of Henley beach, but wondered if anyone had any experiences or advise of living there.

We don't have any kids, so schools aren't an issue.

I've seen a few rentals come up around military road.. and just wanted to see what it was like round there... (does it smell.. or will we be ok :wideeyed: )

I know loads of people are flocking to Glenelg, but it's a bit more expensive there, and we need to save our pennies till we secure work over there.. other than Henley beach, could you suggest anywhere else that's not the most expensive area, but it nice and respectable.. and isn't in the middle of nowhere... (as we need to make friends and not be hermits!!)

Thanks for your help!!!!!

Lisa. :cute:

All along the coast is very good and heley beach has several parts to it, however over all it is a nice area too live.

Several really nice pubs and eateries along the coast and not far out of the cbd with transport.

panther

Budget Accomodation in Marino

Guest Lisajonesey

Thanks for the help.. I will check out the other links too..

Its really hard to figure out where to base yourself, I guess that's going to be the exciting bit though, figuring out what you like and what you don't...

It's just a little nerve racking, and I'm one of those people who feel better if I'm armed with every single bit of info!

lisa.x

Guest sue-in-oz

Hi Lisa,

My boyfriend and I moved into Henley Beach, on Military Road three weeks ago! To be honest I haven't and doubt we will ever regret the decision. We are mid-point between Grange and Henley and within walking distance of both. This means we have a choice as to where to go to eat/drink etc. and I always make the most of it by walking the beach each evening between the two jetties. It is a lovely area, fairly peaceful but with easy access to pubs/beach and city, you have the best of all worlds. I know everyone has their own opinion but all i can say is we love it and it suits us down to the ground. Let me know if this is where you end up, we'll meet up for a coffee at Henley Square!!!

Sue x

Guest Martin and Val

Sue,

Your spot on with what you say, we are just down the road a little in a rental and love it. When and if we finally sell in England we will without doubt buy around Henley, Grange or West Lakes.

Martin

Guest Lisajonesey
Hi Lisa,

My boyfriend and I moved into Henley Beach, on Military Road three weeks ago! To be honest I haven't and doubt we will ever regret the decision. We are mid-point between Grange and Henley and within walking distance of both. This means we have a choice as to where to go to eat/drink etc. and I always make the most of it by walking the beach each evening between the two jetties. It is a lovely area, fairly peaceful but with easy access to pubs/beach and city, you have the best of all worlds. I know everyone has their own opinion but all i can say is we love it and it suits us down to the ground. Let me know if this is where you end up, we'll meet up for a coffee at Henley Square!!!

Sue x

Thank you for your advise!!! Can't believe you have just moved to the same road too!!!! We're looking at getting out there in 3 months, so will definately be on for that coffee.. we I'm sure we'll have loads of questions to pick your brains about too!

We're the same.. we know it's not the same pub culture as the UK.. but being near to somewhere we can go for dinner and a drink as well as being near the beach is definately a winner for us! How are you finding the move? Where have you moved from and has your shipping turned up yet?

Lisa.x

Guest sarahsmartiepants
I would pick Henley beach and West Lakes over Glenelg every time !!!!:arghh:

Glenelg is a nice place to visit but i couldn't live there.:wacko:

With you there Pash, I am not even too keen on visiting Glenelg! Take the visitors there, it being the tourist place and all, they seem to like it, but I think other than a night out it is a no no!

I would pick Henley beach and West Lakes over Glenelg every time !!!!:arghh:

Glenelg is a nice place to visit but i couldn't live there.:wacko:

I used to live in Glenelg, at first just off the South Esplanade near Broadway, and then on the North Esplanade. It was a lovely place to live when the day-trippers and tourists weren't there, so winter, spring, autumn, mid-week it was great, nice and quite.

I used to hate Sundays, especially in the summer. If you wanted to go anywhere you would get stuck in huge traffic jams of day-trippers arriving there for a Sunday afternoon out :arghh: Very annoying !

I wouldn't move back there now, not now we've got kids. Henley / Grange / West Lakes are much more normal, family type places.

Guest sue-in-oz
Thank you for your advise!!! Can't believe you have just moved to the same road too!!!! We're looking at getting out there in 3 months, so will definately be on for that coffee.. we I'm sure we'll have loads of questions to pick your brains about too!

We're the same.. we know it's not the same pub culture as the UK.. but being near to somewhere we can go for dinner and a drink as well as being near the beach is definately a winner for us! How are you finding the move? Where have you moved from and has your shipping turned up yet?

Lisa.x

Hi Lisa,

We haven't found the move too bad apart from the fact that things operate at a much slower pace here. We have a brand new house and went for a week with no gas (so no hot water for showers etc) and there was absolutely no urgency from our letting agent to try and sort it out. Eventually, we both had enough and just sorted it out ourselves. Other than that, the move has been fine and feel that we are settling in well. We spent Friday and Saturday nights at Henley and it was great, live music in the Ramsgate on Saturday was brilliant.

We actually haven't had anything shipped out as we let our house in the UK to a friend, fully furnished. To be honest, because there is only two of us, we have pretty much managed to buy eveything we need straight away from our relocation money so it has worked really well. We will just be buying extra bits as and when the money is there.

As for the UK, I am originally from Essex but have lived in the NorthWest for the past 4 years, between Liverpool and Bolton area. Andy is from Manchester but lived just outside Bolton.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to get in touch or pm me if it is easier. Good luck with everything and we'll see you for a bevvy when you get here.

Sue x