Family Assistance

Maggiemoo

Guest Carl Hallam
Is it true that on a PR visa you are not entitled to any help for the first 2 years?

as far as we are awear yes , i am on a subclass 100 (my partners an ausie) and we have been told that i cannot claim or have any tax benifits for 2 years although she can and our children, not sure of your situation by pr do you mean permanent/ indefinate as thats what we are on.

Guest ReadyPenny

Yes I understood that too. On PR you can get family and rent assistance but no benefits to help you if you are out of work. These benefits are means tested but you are entitled to them. Have you checked centrelink.gov.au? All the details are on there regarding the income limits for claims etc

A permanent resident is entitled to Family Assistance, Rent Assistance and Child Care Benefit. These benefits are earnings related.

Your earnings in the Uk during the Australian Tax year will also be taken into account. (Oz tax year July-June)

E.g. If you arrived in January 2009.....they will want to know what you earned in the UK from 1st July 2008. It will then be converted into a dollar figure.

I met someone the other day who was out here on a Perm visa, and had been told by their agent, they weren't entitled to any benefits. Yes that is true to a certain extent...but the ones mentioned above are excluded from the 2 year waiting period.