Just how hard is IELTS?????

Guest vicbob

I have got to do my IELTS test soon and wondered just how hard is it?. I haven't done any form of exam since my A levels about 17 years ago (got a B in English) and revision was never my stong point. Got a few books to swot up on, but any advice from anyone that has actually done it would be great...........

Thanks

With an A level qualification you will skate it :). I hadn't sat an exam in over 20 years and was rubbish at english at school. The hardest part for me was the essay and the letter. I think, no wait- I know, I learned more from the book I bought than I did when I was at school.

You can't really study for the listening and speaking tests but there are quite a few web sites out there that give a few pointers on how to prepare for them. Good luck but I'm sure you will pass no problem.

Peter

Guest Tiddlypush

Hi

I was really worried before I sat mine and I'm used to exams. But there was more pressure I guess and I felt very unprepared even though I'd read the revision book! However, it wasn't as bad as I thought, as previously said the writing was the hardest cos you don't know the topic before hand have a set number of words and are penalized for spelling - I knew this so only wrote words that I knew how to spell.

The listening one wasn't hard as long as you listen carefully, they dont repeat anything.

The speaking was the most straight forward, I got full marks (but then I am female and used to meeting people andtalking to them) the hardest bit was not to laugh at the questions as they are designed for canditates of all nationalites. questions such as "In your country, what type of housing is there?"

It can be a long day the exam bit is all morning and then it depends what time your oral exam is. I had time to go to sainsbury and do some shopping.

Sorry to ramble on but it wasn't too bad but you have to take it seriously you have to pass every ellement.

Karen

Guest covfan71
My husband did it. PRACTICE is the key. The content is easy so long as you know what to expect. Our study guide really helped. Practice the essays etc and get someone else to read them. Make sure you know how many words to write. Be prepared for a long day! Do that amd you'll be fine xx

Does everyine have to to this test. I thought that if you had a UK passport you were exempt.

Guest Sandisonsonthemove
Does everyine have to to this test. I thought that if you had a UK passport you were exempt.

My understanding is that you can sit the test if you need the extra points otherwise a UK passport will see you through

Have a look on the IELTS website. They give some guidance material for students and teachers which gives you an idea of the format and type of questions. Search for "practise IELTS" and you should come up with some other free stuff on the web.

I took mine in may and passed no problem, but I was glad I'd done some preparation - have a few practise questions and you should be fine

regards

Sean

Thanks for your replies, the spelling is the worrying bit, mines awful. Unfortunately i need the extra points so have to take it, seems silly as i have an A level english, but i suppose they are the rules.....

Thanks for your replies, the spelling is the worrying bit, mines awful. Unfortunately i need the extra points so have to take it, seems silly as i have an A level english, but i suppose they are the rules.....

Definitely worthwhile practising the essay - remember, do a plan, write the essay, spell check it.

I would be fairly sure you will pass. Concentration is the key.

Pies