On arrival accommodation

Nette

We are arriving in Adelaide on 18th August and are looking into rental accommodation. We are considering the on arrival accommodation but was wondering what it was like e.g., locations, facilities, cleanliness, air conditioning!!.

Can anyone share experiences - good or bad!!

Many thanks.

Guest dglamoore

OAA - they do not have air con but you will not need it here in August anyway probably more like heating which some may have. They are cleanish but very very basic. Great for the money paid though.

There are lots of people all coming over around the middle of August so would be a good idea to have a back up plan as there are not many OAA properties available. We applied back in October and got here end of April but OAA was full so we did not get it :o

You can put your preferred location but basically they alocate whatever is available so you don't really get to choose. They do try and keep them close to facilities such as shops etc though from the ones we have visited friends in.

Not sure which facilities you mean - if household ones they do not supply a tv, bedding, microwave, air con, phones etc and some have a laundry area rather than a washing machine.

We know people who have been really pleased with the accommodation for the price and others that have left as soon as possible. There are a few members here that have stayed in OAA so sure they will share their experiences with you.

Lisa:cool:

Guest Libby1971

Hi

We applied for and got OAA. On the form it asks you to state your preferred area and we put Onkapringa area and then got Everard Park which is about 20/25 mins away.

It was clean and basic. Dated but fulfilled its job which was to give an address and a place to stay when we got here while being cheap. We paid $166 per week and that included bills. No phone or active phone line, no Air con, no fan provided. There was one bathroom, 3 bedrooms, crockery and cutlery for 4, an ironing board and iron, pots and pans, kettle and toaster. Also a key was provided for the shared laundry. We were ten mins from Glenelg beach and 10 mins from the city.

We stayed 4 weeks in OAA before moving into this place south of the city. It took a while to find something I could afford which ticked enough of my boxes to move into.

Libby

My advice would be to apply for OAA and meet and greet and if its offered take it.

Yes it is basic but very worth while and cheap.

We also came in August and paid $155 a week, you just cant beet that.

Having someone meet you at the airport and take you to this accommodation is also great.

Yes it will be a bit cold in August but a few well placed small heaters around the house will be fine ( depends how tough you are). It will give you a great base from which to have a good look around at your leisure.

Some of the rentals are well over priced especially the furnished ones some reaching as much as $600 a week, I'm sure you have much better things to spend your money on.

I pay $300 a week on a $190,000 mortgage so why rent furnished and line someone else's pocket.

My advice....

Rough it for a few weeks.

find a nice unfurnished rental.

Plenty out there http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=fn-rea&s=sa&ss=&ag=&t=ren&snf=rbs&chk=0&lead=&ty=&tb=&u=&is=1&pm=200&px=300&pme=200&pxe=300&minbed=&maxbed=&cat=Duplex%2FSemi-Detached%2CHouse%2CTerrace%2CTownhouse%2CVilla%2CWarehouse&p=10&o=def

Buy some creature comforts (till your container arrives)

have a good look around and see where you want to settle.

Guest nicky, alan and charlotte
My advice would be to apply for OAA and meet and greet and if its offered take it.

Yes it is basic but very worth while and cheap.

We also came in August and paid $155 a week, you just cant beet that.

Having someone meet you at the airport and take you to this accommodation is also great.

Yes it will be a bit cold in August but a few well placed small heaters around the house will be fine ( depends how tough you are). It will give you a great base from which to have a good look around at your leisure.

Some of the rentals are well over priced especially the furnished ones some reaching as much as $600 a week, I'm sure you have much better things to spend your money on.

I pay $300 a week on a $190,000 mortgage so why rent furnished and line someone else's pocket.

My advice....

Rough it for a few weeks.

find a nice unfurnished rental.

Plenty out there http://www.realestate.com.au/cgi-bin/rsearch?a=s&cu=fn-rea&s=sa&ss=&ag=&t=ren&snf=rbs&chk=0&lead=&ty=&tb=&u=&is=1&pm=200&px=300&pme=200&pxe=300&minbed=&maxbed=&cat=Duplex%2FSemi-Detached%2CHouse%2CTerrace%2CTownhouse%2CVilla%2CWarehouse&p=10&o=def

Buy some creature comforts (till your container arrives)

have a good look around and see where you want to settle.

Might be a daft question but how do you apply for this accomodation?

Guest dglamoore
Hi

Does anyone know how early you can apply for OAA, do you have to have visa confimation first?

Needs to be at least 6 weeks but does not matter how long before you apply. We applied for OAA back in November as worked out a rough date to fly, went on Singapore Airlines website and got the flight number (did not book flight til we had visa) and used that on the application.

We did not get the visa until Feb and luckily were able to fly out on exactly the same flight as we had planned - did not get OAA though :( It does not matter how early you apply it is just down to wether they have anything free at your time of arrival or not :o

Lisa:cool: