info on pets to adelaide

Guest coral

Guest coral

can anyone give me some info on how much it cost to bring a dog to adelaide please cause i dont want to bring our dog cause of the cost and my hubby does any prices out there would be gratefull thanks hes a staffy:wacko:

Guest GIPSY

Hi

We have budgeted £6k for our 2 labs - that includes everything such as bloods this end, flights, quarantine and then a flight from Melbourne to Adelaide.

Cheers

Hayley

Guest soggy
can anyone give me some info on how much it cost to bring a dog to adelaide please cause i dont want to bring our dog cause of the cost and my hubby does any prices out there would be gratefull thanks hes a staffy:wacko:

Hi,

I agree with you, have it put down and buy a new one here, quick, easy and cheap.:shocked::skeptical:

Simon

I would say between 2-3 grand....we decided to leave the dog cos of the cost but when it was time to hand him over to the mother in law my hubbie could not do it...so it was a mad rush, getting the blood tests done, transport etc not to mention finding the money....he loves it here but im sure he would have been just as happy with the MIL...love him really, but i could have flown 1st class on that money :)

JO

Hi

We're bringing 2 Border Terriers with us - luckily they're only small. Price goes on the size of the dog. On top of that you have the blood tests, quarantine and there isn't a quarantine station in Adelaide so the nearest is Melbourne (so there's costs involved in getting your pet from there). You're pet has to be micro chipped and don't have the lepto when you get their jabs done.

Golden Arrow and Pet Air always seem to come up with good recommendations when you ask people.

There is also a dog walking service available for when your pooch is in quarantine :-

http://www.dogwalks.com.au/

I reckon for both of ours with everything all in (with the quotes we've had) we're looking around £3,500 for both dogs. :shocked:

Kim x

Guest Martin and Val

Some info that may help you.

For entry into Australia your dog must be vaccinated against, Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo Virus and Para Influenza at least 14 days and not more than 12 months prior to exportation.

Do not vaccinate against Leptospirosis for at least one year prior to sending them.

They then need blood tests with negative results for Leptospirosis, Brucella Canis and Ehrlichia within 30 days of export.

Permanent identification (Micro Chip)

We used Airpets and found them very good and took us through each step. Give them a call, 01753 685571 www.airpets.com info@airpets.com

Sorry, can’t remember the actual costs now without looking them up.

We would add however, please consider a few things as our advice to anybody bringing their dogs with them is to think very carefully, if they are elderly or have any existing health issues find them a home back in UK or at least fly here before them so that you are here ready for their arrival. If you get here before them at least you can visit them straight away and seeing you may well help them get through the trauma of the long journey.

Our pet Boxer `Pace’ become ill while in quarantine in Melbourne and was transferred to University Hospital. They did all they could for him but unfortunately he had contracted an infection which resulted in pancreatitis, this in turn caused damage to other organs and he died of Kidney failure the day we arrived in Australia. We never got the chance to say good bye to him and blame ourselves daily for what we put him through. Pace was nine years old and we had hoped that he would enjoy at least a couple of years playing on the beach. We still have `Megan’ our other dog and she is doing fine and is very very happy with her new life.

Many people bring their pets with them without any issues, all we say is, think about it very carefully as sometimes it can go wrong.

We don’t wish to alarm you we just want you to be aware what can happen.

Hope this helps and good luck with your plans.

Martin

Guest brandyslad

We provisionally quoted for our Boxer, it was four grand roughly that was minus injections and getting him to the mainland as we are in N.Ireland. Probably 5 grand all in. At the start I was so determined I nearly would have got the money by hook or crook but now I realise it is not fair on him. He is very much used to company all the time and is spoilt so I doubt the journey or the quarantine would agree with him.

My family are taking him, they are excited about getting him and even enrolled him on a training class, LOL, as he jumps up a wee bit. When I know where he is going I am happy enough. As Martin said in his post think carefully about it, I know I would be heartbroken like them if anything happened either in transit or upon arrival. Plus I worried too about getting a job where he would be at home alone most of the time. I am lucky enough to work from home now so we keep each other company. :D:D And don't worry everyone I am not that sad about everything in life, just boxer mad. LOL ;)

Guest billm
Hi

We're bringing 2 Border Terriers with us - luckily they're only small. Price goes on the size of the dog. On top of that you have the blood tests, quarantine and there isn't a quarantine station in Adelaide so the nearest is Melbourne (so there's costs involved in getting your pet from there). You're pet has to be micro chipped and don't have the lepto when you get their jabs done.

Golden Arrow and Pet Air always seem to come up with good recommendations when you ask people.

There is also a dog walking service available for when your pooch is in quarantine :-

http://www.dogwalks.com.au/

I reckon for both of ours with everything all in (with the quotes we've had) we're looking around £3,500 for both dogs. :shocked:

Kim x

Hi Kim,

We are booked to come over in August taking our two Border Terrorists with us, so I can give you an accurate cost nearer the time when we have got as far as organising the dogs. They are part of the family and there is no way they are getting left behind.

Bill

Guest cornish Busdriver

:) we have 2 west highland terrorist, there in Melbourne at the moment but arive here on the 20th at 1.30 pm, not tham im counting down the days.

I havnt seen them since november 08 and cant wait to have them running round and terrorising evrything again lol lol

Guest billm

Hi Bill

Border Terrorists 4_1_213.gif how very true! Ours are 7 months and 1 1/2, how old are yours? No way we'd leave ours behind either. Please keep me informed of how they get on etc.

Kim

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb096&pp=undefined

Hi Kim,

Ours are old girls at 7 and 4, both still act like puppies. We were quoted around the £2 - £2.5k mark a few months ago not including the jabs, etc. However this may drop due to the recession - apparently shipping costs are coming down so hopefully this will happen to air freight. We got our flights for £500 each flying from Scotland so airfares look to be dropping.

I'll keep you up to date with prices etc as it is something we have to get arranged pretty soon.

Bill

Guest angiestaff

hi,

we are using PAR AIR and so far they have been fantastic in sending all the paperwork MEGA quick!, rachel has been brilliant in answering all my questions (even the daft questions only a doggie lover can ask! lol).

we have spent £3,300 but that's without quarantine costs and getting them from sydney to adelaide via jetpets, and that's for 2 staffies.

it was never a question of leaving them here, the only way that would have happened is if they were declared unwell/unfit to travel, we're lucky that we got the money together from the sale of the house (and believe me we really could have done with the extra money for when we are in adelaide!:wacko:) ah well what would we do without our 2 drving us mad in our new home! lol

humans fly 30th march

doggies fly 14th april

angie

Hi Kim,

Ours are old girls at 7 and 4, both still act like puppies. We were quoted around the £2 - £2.5k mark a few months ago not including the jabs, etc. However this may drop due to the recession - apparently shipping costs are coming down so hopefully this will happen to air freight. We got our flights for £500 each flying from Scotland so airfares look to be dropping.

I'll keep you up to date with prices etc as it is something we have to get arranged pretty soon.

Bill

Hi Bill

Thanks very much for the info. Do you know when you're going?

Kim

• 3 months later...
Guest allie

Hi

We costed how much it would be for us to bring our beloved wee pug with us and all in it was just under £4000. That included pretty much everything and all quarantine and transport costs. There was no way that we were leaving him behind!

Unfortunately, we have now had to agree that he wont be able to live in the heat of australia :sad::sad: He has no real way to control his body temperature and almost died on monday as he over heated...very scary and the vet has told us that it would be cruel to expose him to continued high temperatures. We knew that this was a health concern for the breed but we thought he would be different (daft i know!) He also has breathing problems sometimes and although the vet will certify him as ok to fly she has made it clear that this is not the best move for him. I am soooo upset by it all :(

However, we have been lucky enough that my mum and dad ADORE him and they will take great care of him. I dont think that staffies have the same health concerns so i hope that all goes smoothly for you and im very jealous that you get to take yours with you!