Things to get done before i Fly Alone?

Guest andrew_obrien

Guest andrew_obrien

Here is my current list of things to have done before i get to OZ.

Would be greatful if anyone can add something to my list.

1. Get Passport to Australian House
  2. Register with HiFx (discount flight & 40kg Baggage with Qantas)
  3. Book Flights
  4. Contact SA Gov for house and Meet & Greet
  5. Get OZ Bank Account Set Up
  6. Health Insurance
  7. Rental Car
  8. Pack Documents Away
  9. Transfer money to OZ Bank Account
  10. Sell Everything

Thats what i have thought of So Far

Guest andrew_obrien
I cant add to your list but did find it useful as in. Hifx= discount flights and extra luggage allowance?

Health insurance before you go?

Yeah waiting for the email from HiFx about that but they rang me today and told me that i would get 40KG and discounted flight but have to wait and see how much discount 1st.

As i am going on a 475 i belive i do not get Medicare?

Yeah waiting for the email from HiFx about that but they rang me today and told me that i would get 40KG and discounted flight but have to wait and see how much discount 1st.

As i am going on a 475 i belive i do not get Medicare?

Hi Andrew we got our 475 visa a few weeks back, i need to research this Medicare mullarkey,some say you must have private medical care others say its a reciprical thing between Oz medicare and Uk Nhs.

Guest Lisajonesey

Andrew.. here are a few things...

1. Notify Gas that you will be leaving in 1 month
  2. Notify Electric that you will be leaving in 1 month
  3. Notify Water that you will be leaving in 1 month
  4. Notify Council tax that you will be leaving in 1 month
  5. Notify TV liscence
  6. Book shipping
  7. Clear out your house
  8. give notive to work
  9. give notice to landlord
  10. Give notice to cancel UK mobile phone
  11. Cancel all unused credit cards
  12. Update any used credit cards with new address (you don't want your account details being posted to anyone else)
  13. Get handover files from Doctors and dentist
  14. Get up to date prescription for glasses and contact lenses
  15. Book flights
  16. Book accomadation
  17. organise travel money for any stops on the way out there
  18. Open Aussie bank account and trading account
  19. Sell car
  20. send documents to DVLA
  21. Cancel redundant Direct Debits and standing orders
  22. organise transfer of funds
  23. Shred or burn any surplus records
  24. Arrange any final visits to family/friends / leaving drinks
  25. Collect references from your employer and landlord
  26. Give your employer your new address, so you can get your P45
  27. Once you have your P45, you can claim your tax back (for the tax year you leave).. so print off a form from the HMRC website
  28. register for meet and greet service / temp accomadation, if required
  29. Put CV on recruitment sites.

For anything that is getting shipped:

1. Clean all gardening equipment and paint
  2. clean all camping equipment

Before you fly out:

1. Gather all travel douments together
  2. PACK!
  3. Phone utilities with final meter readings.. phone them again the next day to settle any outstanding balances (as it takes 24 hours for their systems to update)
  4. Arrange travel insurance

On arrival:

1. Pick up a copy of on arrival magasine:
  2. check into accomadation
  3. register at westpack (or whatever bank account you've opened) with your passport, so you can draw money out
  4. Buy a cheap sim card and put it in your UK phone
  5. contact DIAC - australia house
  6. register at the embassy
  7. Notify friends and family you've arrived

Hope this helps!!

Lisa.

Was one way travel insurance mentioned in that long post?!!!. Albeit a while ago , a company called go walkabout based in Bexhill seemed to have the best deal. Dont know whether its still about.

Guest Lisajonesey

He he.. won't take long..

We're flying out in June.. and I've done most of it already.. and we only got the visa 2 weeks ago! and I'm working 14 hour days.. I made a plan one night, and have stuck to it.. it so much easier when you allocate a day to do it all. most of it is just phonng around too, plus its quite satisfying telling the utilities etc that you're leaving the country and have no forwarding address!

:oD

Guest sauvignon

Yeah relax! Enjoy the flight. What you don`t do before you go,you can do here. They have phones,E mail and post here.(not trying to be smart,just soemtimes you think it is so far away everything has to be done now.) I forgot all that and was well stressed before I left.

Have a good flight

Guest Libby1971

Not sure why you would need to register with an embassy and no-one I have met has done that.

Also cheap mobile phone sim card, make sure your phone is unlocked. I thought it would be as simple as but not so. I needed to buy a new phone so budget accordingly.

If you have opened an Aussie account and are transferring your money into it, phone the bank to make sure your money is in it BEFORE you leave the UK. H**x did not transfer our money as instructed and we arrived on a Friday with spending money only to find we had to make it last nearly 2 weeks. We went to activate the account on Monday to find it empty and it took till Wednesday to find out where it was. So please please check.

Also Medicare has a reciprocal agreement with UK so any essential treatment that needs doing will be covered. But it does not include dental so most people have private insurance to cover the dental costs as dentists are expensive here.

Other than that, you people are soooo organised. There is a list on www.adelaidebound.com which you might find handy. I printed it and stuck in on the fridge. It was quite exciting as it felt like a countdown as I crossed things off

• 1 year later...

This is a great thread with so much useful info!

We are arriving on 1 December and still have soooo much to do!

I have just been advised by our Doctors surgery that they are currently charging £50 per person for copies of Doctor files. What a rip off!

I just wondered are they really necessary?

Thanks Mel

Was one way travel insurance mentioned in that long post?!!!. Albeit a while ago , a company called go walkabout based in Bexhill seemed to have the best deal. Dont know whether its still about.

I have always used 'Insure and Go' for travel insurance, the kids are free on it.

This is a great thread with so much useful info!

We are arriving on 1 December and still have soooo much to do!

I have just been advised by our Doctors surgery that they are currently charging £50 per person for copies of Doctor files. What a rip off!

I just wondered are they really necessary?

Thanks Mel

Hmmm we were told our hospital notes would cost that much, but Doctors notes wont be anything at all, I had enough pages on my notes and my two kids to produce 2 or 3 trees! and wasnt charged a penny.

Next time you see your doctor ask them directly. then they can tell the receptionist.

I made sure I got all my prescriptions again - hayfever etc and sons eczema (sp?) oinments and stuff and brought them over.. have enough to get me through a year

Cheers Danni

Guest guest3462

We didn't bother with Dr/dentist change over notes and have never been asked for them. I think if you know your medical history and any treatments you are currently recieving you should be ok. We are even still registered with the GP and dentist in UK, and as we are going back in Novemeber for a holiday i thought I would be really cheeky and ring the dentist for a cheeky appt and they said yes!! Get in!!!