Things to get done before i Fly Alone?
Here is my current list of things to have done before i get to OZ.
Would be greatful if anyone can add something to my list.
- Get Passport to Australian House
- Register with HiFx (discount flight & 40kg Baggage with Qantas)
- Book Flights
- Contact SA Gov for house and Meet & Greet
- Get OZ Bank Account Set Up
- Health Insurance
- Rental Car
- Pack Documents Away
- Transfer money to OZ Bank Account
- Sell Everything
Thats what i have thought of So Far
I cant add to your list but did find it useful as in. Hifx= discount flights and extra luggage allowance?
Health insurance before you go?
Yeah waiting for the email from HiFx about that but they rang me today and told me that i would get 40KG and discounted flight but have to wait and see how much discount 1st.
Originally Posted by PEZ
As i am going on a 475 i belive i do not get Medicare?
Hi Andrew we got our 475 visa a few weeks back, i need to research this Medicare mullarkey,some say you must have private medical care others say its a reciprical thing between Oz medicare and Uk Nhs.
Originally Posted by andrew_obrien
Andrew.. here are a few things...
- Notify Gas that you will be leaving in 1 month
- Notify Electric that you will be leaving in 1 month
- Notify Water that you will be leaving in 1 month
- Notify Council tax that you will be leaving in 1 month
- Notify TV liscence
- Book shipping
- Clear out your house
- give notive to work
- give notice to landlord
- Give notice to cancel UK mobile phone
- Cancel all unused credit cards
- Update any used credit cards with new address (you don't want your account details being posted to anyone else)
- Get handover files from Doctors and dentist
- Get up to date prescription for glasses and contact lenses
- Book flights
- Book accomadation
- organise travel money for any stops on the way out there
- Open Aussie bank account and trading account
- Sell car
- send documents to DVLA
- Cancel redundant Direct Debits and standing orders
- organise transfer of funds
- Shred or burn any surplus records
- Arrange any final visits to family/friends / leaving drinks
- Collect references from your employer and landlord
- Give your employer your new address, so you can get your P45
- Once you have your P45, you can claim your tax back (for the tax year you leave).. so print off a form from the HMRC website
- register for meet and greet service / temp accomadation, if required
- Put CV on recruitment sites.
For anything that is getting shipped:
- Clean all gardening equipment and paint
- clean all camping equipment
Before you fly out:
- Gather all travel douments together
- Phone utilities with final meter readings.. phone them again the next day to settle any outstanding balances (as it takes 24 hours for their systems to update)
- Arrange travel insurance
Hope this helps!!
- Pick up a copy of on arrival magasine:
- check into accomadation
- register at westpack (or whatever bank account you've opened) with your passport, so you can draw money out
- Buy a cheap sim card and put it in your UK phone
- contact DIAC - australia house
- register at the embassy
- Notify friends and family you've arrived
Was one way travel insurance mentioned in that long post?!!!. Albeit a while ago , a company called go walkabout based in Bexhill seemed to have the best deal. Dont know whether its still about.
wow Lisa, how long is all that going to take????
He he.. won't take long..
We're flying out in June.. and I've done most of it already.. and we only got the visa 2 weeks ago! and I'm working 14 hour days.. I made a plan one night, and have stuck to it.. it so much easier when you allocate a day to do it all. most of it is just phonng around too, plus its quite satisfying telling the utilities etc that you're leaving the country and have no forwarding address!
You are entilted to Medicare through an agreement the UK has with OZ.
Originally Posted by andrew_obrien
I have sent you a PM.