Banking

Guest PEZ

Hi again. We just wondered what was a good popular bank in Adelaide and how long before you go do you open accounts, was going to do it when we got there then realised i would need somewhere to send the bulk of our money when house is sold lol.

Hiya,

The thing that helped me decide was the fact that you get charged for taking money out at an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank. That made me decide to go for one of the major banks - this looked to be Westpac and Commonwealth. I looked at their websites and Commonwealth seemed to have the edge over Westpac with a few things - internet facilities and the fact you get a proper 'debit card' not something like an Electron Card. We decided on them and they have been very helpful. Set up an account in London about 5 weeks before the move. They transfer is at a pretty competitive rate (same as HiFX etc) and you only get charged £15 per transfer under £30k. Then the money is there for you the other end and you just set up a meeting at the branch in Adelaide and show your ID etc to get your cards and access your money.

Hope this helps,

Jo xx

Hiya,

The thing that helped me decide was the fact that you get charged for taking money out at an ATM that doesn't belong to your bank. That made me decide to go for one of the major banks - this looked to be Westpac and Commonwealth. I looked at their websites and Commonwealth seemed to have the edge over Westpac with a few things - internet facilities and the fact you get a proper 'debit card' not something like an Electron Card. We decided on them and they have been very helpful. Set up an account in London about 5 weeks before the move. They transfer is at a pretty competitive rate (same as HiFX etc) and you only get charged £15 per transfer under £30k. Then the money is there for you the other end and you just set up a meeting at the branch in Adelaide and show your ID etc to get your cards and access your money.

Hope this helps,

Jo xx

Hi. Do you get charged a lot more for transfering more than £30k, we will be transfering about £80k.

Wetpac have a migrant service which allows you to set-up your account from the UK and activate internet banking before you arrive. If you have a job offer, you will also get a credit card.

On arrival you just go the the branch for an ID check and pick up your bank cards a couple of days later... very easy.

We use Hifx for UK-Aus transfers as there is no charge, and it can all be done online.

(affectively its a switch card transaction to you Aus bank account).

Si