From Barcelona to Adelaide

Guest dannymat

Guest dannymat

Hi everyone,

My name is Daniel and I want to move next year to Adelaide.

In 2003 I was in Brisbane during four months learning english, but I've never been in Adelaide. I have a good friend in Adelaide but I'll like to read some opinions of people who moved there. Do you like the city? I've seen thousands of pictures and I'm sure I'll love the city.

Of course, if you can also answer some additional questions I have will be really useful for me :-)

- What areas of Adelaide do you recommend to me for living?

- There's some graphic designer / web designer here who can give me advice for my career in Adelaide?

- How hard is the IELTS test?

Thanks a lot :-)

Guest sauvignon

Hi

I have been to a few states in Australia,and have decided to settle in Adelaide,partly due to what you can get for your money on the property front. Though the cost of living seems as high as anywhere. It is a lovley city,very friendly, and a city which is usable. Not too large and not too small,you have the beaches,city,hills,wine regions everything on your doorstep. As far as advise on jobs. The south Australian tourist board is very helpful with information and anything you need to get on. Worth looking at the site. Look at the job search web sites, that will give you an idea of jobs available and what they are paying. Then choose a company and not your interest in working with them in the future is a job becomes available. (thats what we did and it payed of). Right place right time. As for your test not sure. Flinders University in Adelaide could probably help you with that.

The area is a difficult one as depends on your budget and if you want hills,beach,city. South of the city we have found as nice areas. We have chosen the hills but only 20 mins from city and 15mins from beach. Just keep researching and asking questions you will get there, Having a friend in adelaide will be great for you,as they can answer so many of your questions also.

Adios and good luck

Guest dannymat

Thank you Sauvignon for your response, very helpful for me :-)

Right now I don't have drive license, I prefer to learn to drive in Australia because in Spain we drive in the right lane. I read in some sites that Adelaide is the "20min city" because you can reach any point of the city in almost 20min with public transport. Is that true?

I'm really excited for doing this step, I want to leave Barcelona next year, right now all seems really complicated, but I'll work with this people to get the Visa: http://www.vivaenaustralia.com (live in Australia) so they know much better than me how to improve my chances of success.

How did you process your visa? Thanks!

Guest sauvignon

Hi yes it is the 20 minute city on a grid system,with good transport to get you round it. So if you are going to live in the city,you will be fine with out a car. Out of the city though there are some distances to travel. Transport system seems to be good though,I have only used the trains,tram and city bus and found them all clean and efficient. We had to do the paperwork ourselves as we came on a state sponsored investors visa,it is not the standard,so agencies don`t do them. Not the one we were in contact with anyhow. My husband did it all, very proud of him I was as there was a lot of information to supply. We have a folder a foot thick. But use an agency if you have the money def the way to go,there is enough to think about.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest dannymat

Hi sauvignon, thanks a lot for your advice :-)

Today I signed the contract with my migration agent! Now I have 3 months to be ready for the IELTS exam. Wish me luck!

Guest LordLucan
Hi everyone,

My name is Daniel and I want to move next year to Adelaide.

In 2003 I was in Brisbane during four months learning english, but I've never been in Adelaide. I have a good friend in Adelaide but I'll like to read some opinions of people who moved there. Do you like the city? I've seen thousands of pictures and I'm sure I'll love the city.

Of course, if you can also answer some additional questions I have will be really useful for me :-)

- What areas of Adelaide do you recommend to me for living?

- There's some graphic designer / web designer here who can give me advice for my career in Adelaide?

- How hard is the IELTS test?

Thanks a lot :-)

Hi Daniel,

I have a friend who moved to Adelaide from Barcelona and absolutely loved it for the 2 years he was here. Having said that, he is now in Cambridge, England, but then who would turn down a job lecturing at Cambridge University! He'll be back though.

PS Your English is great, but then almost everyone who I meet from continental Europe speaks great English!

Guest dannymat

Hi LordLucan!

Thank you for your comments, every day I'm more convinced that I'll love it :-)

I can't wait the day I'll get on the plane!

By the way, can you tell me your favourite areas to live in Adelaide? When I get the visa I'll look for a shared house/unit but I'd like to know what areas I should skip and how often the rental is paid (weekly, fortnightly, monthly...).

Thank you!

Guest LordLucan
Hi LordLucan!

By the way, can you tell me your favourite areas to live in Adelaide? When I get the visa I'll look for a shared house/unit but I'd like to know what areas I should skip and how often the rental is paid (weekly, fortnightly, monthly...).

Thank you!

Hi Daniel,

Adelaide is big enough for where you live to have some relation to where you work, otherwise you could be in for a long journey to work. Purely personally, I like the beach, so I would always want to be close enough to walk to it. I live at Seacliff, but for a beach lifestyle, anywhere along the coast is good. Some other breach suburbs with reasonable access to the city centre are Brighton, Glenelg (expensive, popular with the young and wealthy), West Beach, Grange, Henley Beach, West Lakes and Semaphore. Further South you have Hallett Cove (a bit further out, but brilliant sea views round every corner, but not a swimming beach, very rocky), then Christie's Beach and many others South of that (check out Google maps). The beaches are better as you go further South, but then yopu are a long way out.

Good ones for public transport to the city are Hallett Cove, Marino, Seacliff, Brighton, Glenelg, Grange and Semaphore.

Other people who aren't as bothered about being right by the beach prefer the Adelaide Hills (not so good for public transport to the city), North Eastern suburbs (good public transport to the city) and the City Centre itself, which offers cosmopolitan living, cafe lifestyle etc.

The best advice I have seen on this site is to not book long-term accommodation until you have lived here. Get something for about 2 months, and look around for a longer-term place once you are here. That way, you will find what YOU like rather than what someone else likes.

Good luck!

LL

Guest LordLucan
Hi LordLucan!

Thank you!

Hi Daniel,

Adelaide is big enough for where you live to have some relation to where you work, otherwise you could be in for a long journey to work. Purely personally, I like the beach, so I would always want to be close enough to walk to it. I live at Seacliff, but for a beach lifestyle, anywhere along the coast is good. Some other breach suburbs with reasonable access to the city centre are Brighton, Glenelg (expensive, popular with the young and wealthy), West Beach, Grange, Henley Beach, West Lakes and Semaphore. Further South you have Hallett Cove (a bit further out, but brilliant sea views round every corner, but not a swimming beach, very rocky), then Christie's Beach and many others South of that (check out Google maps). The beaches are better as you go further South, but then yopu are a long way out.

Good ones for public transport to the city are Hallett Cove, Marino, Seacliff, Brighton, Glenelg, Grange and Semaphore.

Other people who aren't as bothered about being right by the beach prefer the Adelaide Hills (not so good for public transport to the city), North Eastern suburbs (good public transport to the city) and the City Centre itself, which offers cosmopolitan living, cafe lifestyle etc.

The best advice I have seen on this site is to not book long-term accommodation until you have lived here. Get something for about 2 months, and look around for a longer-term place once you are here. That way, you will find what YOU like rather than what someone else likes.

Good luck!

LL

PS Rent is usually paid every 2 weeks.