SA Migrant Cut

Guest sauvignon

Guest sauvignon

Sorry to be all doom and gloom but I thought those of you that are thinking of coming to Adelaide may be interested in todays news. If not already aware of.You can view on adelaidenow.com.au/world

Just list a few lines for your information.

Australia`s intake of skilled migrants will be cut by 18,500 over the next three months to protect local jobs.

First reduction in a decade,and will cut Australia`s intake from 133,500 to 115,000,workers from the building and manufacturing trades will be effected the most. This means bricklayers,plumbers,welders carpenters and metal fitters will no longer be able to be sponsored by an employer or granted a permanent visa.:wacko:

However, workers in the health, medical, engineering and IT proffessions will still be allowed to work in Aus under the programme. :D

Also:

Australian student or work visa applicants in the Uk will soon have to pay a migrant tax.:mad:

Expected to be $106 and levied on applicants from outside the European Union.

Suppose not a big drama with all the costs you already have to get into Australia.

Just on the above part,will be reviewed regulary,so I am sure things will improve in the future and you will still have a good chance of getting into Australia. :v_SPIN:

Guest kangomik

Looks like they changed it from when i pasted.

It basically said a percentage of the cuts will come from people already here and going through the residency process.

Guest sauvignon

Don`t know about that,just going by todays paper. Can`t imagine they are going to chuck out anyone already here??? Most people I know that have a trade here have a permanent visa anyway.

Guest sauvignon

I think so. Would be nothing worse the promise of sunshine and wealth. To find out is is just as bad as the UK on the job front. Wish the Uk had made that decision I while back,then more people might have their jobs there.

Guest kangomik

i Grabbed this off one of the news site, struggling to find the original

Employers will not be pleased when the measures are announced today, and will warn that the decision could make it harder to get skilled workers when the economy improves.

And there are potentially thousands of families already in Australia who will be disappointed by the measure - because they will be heading home sooner than they hoped.

Around 50 per cent of permanent visas for skilled workers go to people who come here on a temporary visa, gain the sponsorship of a company, then "upgrade" to stay for good.

The cutback means far fewer will be upgrading.

And this. its all there if your prepared to wade through the sites

The reduction in this financial year's intake follows measures announced in December that resulted in only those migrants sponsored by an employer or in an occupation on the critical skills list being granted visas under the permanent skilled migration program.

Almost half of the permanent visas granted are to applicants already living and working in Australia

i Grabbed this off one of the news site, struggling to find the original

Employers will not be pleased when the measures are announced today, and will warn that the decision could make it harder to get skilled workers when the economy improves.

And there are potentially thousands of families already in Australia who will be disappointed by the measure - because they will be heading home sooner than they hoped.

Around 50 per cent of permanent visas for skilled workers go to people who come here on a temporary visa, gain the sponsorship of a company, then "upgrade" to stay for good.

The cutback means far fewer will be upgrading.

And this. its all there if your prepared to wade through the sites

The reduction in this financial year's intake follows measures announced in December that resulted in only those migrants sponsored by an employer or in an occupation on the critical skills list being granted visas under the permanent skilled migration program.

Almost half of the permanent visas granted are to applicants already living and working in Australia

I found this Mik...it mentions what you have said above...

http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,25190284-5001021,00.html

Guest Devon

For anyone unfortunate enough to be sent back. Doesn't Kevin Rudd's wife own an employment services business in the UK which is doing very well at the moment? Think the British government have even helped her by giving her contracts recently?

Can't find the company name though so that they can look for jobs on it :err:

Hi we are worrying now because of this, we have no idea if we will get there but ours is a better outlook than some. This is what our migration agent told us...

The most evident and widely reported of the announced changes to the Australian skilled migration program is the 14 per cent cut that will reduce the skilled migration intake to 115,000 places for the 2009-10 financial year. Minister for Immigration and Citizenship, Chris Evans, stated that the cut has been implemented "to protect local jobs while ensuring employers can access skilled professionals in industries still experiencing skills shortages".

However, accompanying the cut in skilled migration are immediate changes made to the Critical Skills List (CSL). The CSL is the list of occupations that determines whether Australian visa applicants are eligible to receive priority processing upon lodging their application.

While the CSL was only introduced on January 1, 2009, a number of occupations have now been removed from the list, including bricklayers, welders, plumbers, metal fitters and carpenters. As a result, the list now focuses almost entirely on occupations in the healthcare, medical, engineering and IT professions. The current CSL can be found on our website by clicking here.

To remind you of the priority processing order for visa applications which came into effect on 1 January 2009, the order currently stands as follows (listed from highest priority to lowest):

1. Applications with a successful State & Territory Nomination;
  2. Applications where the nominated occupation is on the Critical Skills List (CSL);
  3. Applications where the nominated occupation is on the Migration Occupations in Demand List;
  4. All other remaining applications

The Minister has stated that "The Critical Skills List will remain under constant review and the Government will remove occupations from the list if demand for those skills can be satisfied by local labour." We can therefore expect the Critical Skills List to be under continual review and changes can be expected at any time, depending on current economic circumstances.

We are in an ok position for now as my husband is an IT professional but who knows when it will be reviewed again. However on the plus side this can only be a good thing for people who are already out there.

Michelle

:arghh:

personally i agree that a country shouldnt bring more people in if the job market is taking a downturn. Theres no point in actually being here if you cant get a job . Though it does make me laugh when sa governemnt want to preserve their jobs yet give the desal to a Spanish company? Whats all that about?

Also the amount of immigrants isnt actually less than other years, rudd increased it several months ago, now hes just reduced it back down to what it was before the increase. Good political ploy or what !!