My experience of Adelaide

Guest Roo1

Hi all,

I recently got a PM asking how I found Adelaide. I wrote it and thought that maybe I should post it on here, so it might help others.

Its a very brief sum up. Its just my opinion which you'll either agree with or totally dispute, thats up to you. But as long as its some benefit to others, don't shoot me!!!

I love it here. I like the slow pace of life I have now as before I was a full time teacher but now I'm a stay at home mum. I've never felt threatened here. The worse problem Adelaide has are the graffitti artists and the bad drivers. Of course there's criminals here but its definitly not on the scale as Manchester was. Adelaide's worse offence is being too sleepy and not liking change. Adelaideians are mostly born here and stay here till they die. We've come from a country where we are bombarded with issues in the news daily. If you chose to, issues around the world will not interfere in your day to day life here. (but that could be said of the U.K, just switch your T.V off.)

Adelaide is a good place to bring up kids if you want the same kinda life your parents had. Everything seems to be one step behind Europe. Theres far more to do for them here, cause you have the weather to go and do it. But once they hit 18, I'm sure they'll want to go off and explore like most kids do.

Theres lots going on though in the city, if you like the city life. Expo's, concerts and the fringe are the main high lights.

At the mo, its soooo cold here, hitting 0c. Aus homes are just not built for such weather. I'd kill for central heating. But I'm told this is unusual weather. Summer it can hit 40c which is unbearable and people stay at home or hit the mall for the air con.

Meat here is cheap, so BBQ is the norm in summer. Fruit has seasonal prices, canned food is more or less the same. YOu'll get to know which shops have the better offers on. We gets lots of junk mail about the offers, so I find myself going to 3 different shops during the week. Clothes and fashion here is bizarre. I'd love a Next or New Look but we have Target, its just not the same. I'm going to start buying on line as I like my clothes to last more than a couple of washes.

To sum up, you have to adapt and take Adelaide for what it is. Don't fight it but enjoy the new experience.

Good luck to all going through the visa process.

Take Care

Judi x

I moved here on Good Friday. I was thrown a bit because the weather was glorious, around 24c, I thought to myself, if this is autumn/winter I can handle that!!

But nooo, one week later I was shivering from head to toe and straight down to the nearest shops buying thermals. :eek:

My husband has been here since last year due to work and was so happy when the rain came. Nearly 3 months on its still raining!! Manchester and Adelaide have alot in common right now I believe! :)

Judi x

Guest swampo

Thanks for the information, it was great to hear about your experiences. You are right to say things are different and that we have to adjust to them and not expect things to be the same - afer all, surely some of the reasons fro escaping the UK is the ever decreasing social aspects of our culture??

Like you, I am a full time teacher and hope to scale that down to 3 days per week, hopefully not teaching!!!

Keep the information coming, we are all hungry for 'reality emails'.

Kev & Mall

Guest cockney lass
Clothes and fashion here is bizarre. I'd love a Next or New Look but we have Target

Hi Roo

Good post. Just wondered if you've tried Just Jeans, they do some nice clothes IMO and are not too expensive. I find the fashion here ok, and can always find what i want. And I always shopped in places like Next, gap etc in england. I've been here for just over a year now, and like to think my fashion sense hasn't gone completely:D Funnily enough, my MIL and SIL have just both sent me over two tops from Next, saying these are all the rage over in the UK at the moment, and I had just bought one of the tops here, the week before, in a different colour.

And for the kids, pumpkin patch is just as nice as next clothes, and around the same prices.

Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to be of some use!

Cockney lass, thanks for the tip. So where is Just Jeans? Is it at Collanades or Marion?

I'll get myself down there quick smart! lol. And were those tops actually a Next label you bought from here or just similar?

Cheers all :D

Guest cockney lass
Hi all,

Thanks for your replies. I'm glad to be of some use!

Cockney lass, thanks for the tip. So where is Just Jeans? Is it at Collanades or Marion?

I'll get myself down there quick smart! lol. And were those tops actually a Next label you bought from here or just similar?

Cheers all :D

Hi ya

Theres a just jeans in both shopping malls.

Similar tops, but not Next labels. But they do the same thing in target, jay jays etc that they are selling in next at the mo. When my SIL was over at the beginning of the year, I bought her an outfit from Target for xmas, and she already had the same outfit in a different colour but hers was from next.

All I'm saying is, that you can get 'next' style clothes, but you just need to shop around a bit more here, as opposed to going in the one shop in the uk, and knowing you'll get what you want. Bit more leg work here, but you can get similar.:D

Bit more leg work here, but you can get similar.:D

Well my legs could do with some exercise!!! I thought I'd come over here and lose weight with all the healthy food and plenty of walks available on my door step. But unfortunatly with McClaren Vale and Borossa not too far away, the red wine is keeping the pounds firmly on! lol

:confused:

Guest ralph n bev

Oh no,

:(

that will be me then.....

Bev

But Roo Adelaide sounds just like the place we want it to be.

Bit more leg work here, but you can get similar.:D

Well my legs could do with some exercise!!! I thought I'd come over here and lose weight with all the healthy food and plenty of walks available on my door step. But unfortunatly with McClaren Vale and Borossa not too far away, the red wine is keeping the pounds firmly on! lol

:confused:

Guest Aussiebound

Thanks for the info on Adelaide living, so nice to hear from people who are already there.

Good to have nice honest opinions.

Sarah