A Cautionary Tale

A bit of advice for all of you with pets that you're NOT intending to take with you to Adelaide. Start trying to re-home them NOW!!!! It may take a lot longer than you think and you could end up in the terrible state that we are now. We are due to fly out 26th July but leave our rental house 3rd July. We thought it would be relatively easy to re-home our beloved but elderly cat Thomas, but every shelter and charity that we've approached have turned us down flat. Apparently it's "kitten season" and every shelter is full of kittens. I was also told that nobody is interested in old cats. We are heart-broken and terrified about what to do. So be warned, give it a lot more thought than we have.

Guest dglamoore

Good post - we had similar with a couple of cute bunnies. Phoned the local RSPCA to be told all was full at the Inn and to take them to the vet for THE injection :confused:

Luckily when we phoned the vet as a last resort after trying everything else the receptionist took pity and had them herself ;)

Lisa:cool:

Guest Matt & Suzi

You will have to let us know the outcome, I know you must be so stressed. I work with dogs and cats and have heard horror stories and seen the victims, from people who have moved house and just left their pets in the house to starve, it really is so sad. Try putting sob story adverts in the shop windows and I bet someone will help you out. Hope everything works out for you.

Guest ralph n bev

Liz , have you tried the local shop windows , put in an ad. Do you have kids? get them to ask at school, what about a rellie, couldnt you leave it with one of them with a nice big check for its food ?What about a church notice board , lots of passing old ladies!!

Its not just the stress for the cat, think about the cost of shipping, we've got a small dog , and have been told it would cost about £3000.00 to take her.

We are doing , as we'd miss her but it does cost alot even so.

Both my parents and Ralphs parents have offered to have her untill we are settled, then we will ship her out, unless they become too attached and weve learnt to live without her that is!!

Bev

We've put notices up in all the local vets but had no replies. Kids are 3 and 1 so not at school yet. I guess I could try our local supermarket but I'm worried that he might end up with someone not very nice. Pathetic I know, but I've had him for 12 years and I just want him to go to a happy home! Good idea about local church notice boards, hadn't thought about that so will dispatch husband tonight with some more fliers. None of our relatives will take him, my mum reckons he will fight with her cat (who she thinks of as a child anyway) and my in-laws can't abide cats. We're really out of options now. Why oh why didn't we think about this sooner???

Guest tiger fan

do you have a local pet shop? ours will sometimes take pets in. we're hoping they'll take our rat when the time comes. if not they may know of a local who may be interested!

Guest Django
we had similar with a couple of cute bunnies.

Didn't fancy rabbit stew as your last meal before flying out then? 36_1_15.gif

23_2_11.gif

Great thread and something I wouldn't have thought of that far in advance. Thank Gawd for receptionists. I bet her house is full of unwanted animals. :D

Pete

Pete, you are awful... Anyway, I now have an update to this tale of woe which I'm sure has kept most PIA's awake for the last night or two.:P After much sobbing down the phone to my mum, she relented and agreed to give Tom a trial run with her. He therefore spent last night there and will stay again tonight. If there's no fighting between the two cats he will live there permanently.:D:D We've also found someone else who's happy to give him a home if it doesn't work out at mums. Talk about a last minute solution! There, now we can all sleep easy in our beds again. Altogether now, "and they all lived happily ever after...."

Liz:cool:

Guest Guest75
Didn't fancy rabbit stew as your last meal before flying out then? 36_1_15.gif

23_2_11.gif

Great thread and something I wouldn't have thought of that far in advance. Thank Gawd for receptionists. I bet her house is full of unwanted animals. :D

Pete

I thought that -------------- but you said it:p

Are you my conscience or something???

Or is it that you are around 12,000 further away than me??

Guest Denise 42

Hi i know what you are going through just had to re-home my white germen shephard who was 9 yrs old in the end put a ada in pets world and he went to a really good home, and they keep me up dated on his progress. He appears to have settled in really well, but i miss him like mad. will have to have other dog when in Adealide just waiting on visa

Denise

I had a lab/retriever called Morton. He was a fantastic dog.

My uncle gave him a home. My auntie unfortunatly was put in a nursing home, so Morton became good company for him.

I miss Morton but know he's in good hands.

Judi

Guest dglamoore
Or road kill "Enchilladas" :P

Or is that Echidna???

mmmmm but taste so good and cheap too :o number plate is ordered for you :phehe

Lisa:cool:

Guest dunnarunna

i advertised my pets early as i wanted to know they would have good homes rather than having to send them to rescue centres. i advertised the dog on the rspca website so he could stay with us until he was found a home, was shocked when it only took 2 weeks. advertised 3 cats at vets & one of them was homed 2 days ago, it is very hard when they go but knowing they`ve got good homes helps a bit.

donna