Pathway to 887, full time work requirement

Flutterby

Hi all

Just wondered if anyone knows whether 2 part time jobs totalling 35 hrs or more per week can count towards the 12 month full time work requirement for gaining PR. The reason is that I was lucky enough to get a part time job which came out of a voluntary role I organised before I arrived in Adelaide. I have seen a part time role in my field which will make up my working week to full time and am debating whether to apply as I have been solely looking at FT up to now.

Anyone had any experience of this, nothing specifically says that it has to be one job, just that you have to work full time which I would be.

I am planning to phone DIAC as well by the way so if I get any info I will let you know.

Guest Lulujim

Hiya,

Yes, as far as I am aware it can be 2+ p/time jobs - as long as it totals the min hours like you said.

(Also can be the partner not the person whose skills were assessed - weirdly)

HTH,

Alexis

Guest wemadeit

Hi,

Alexis is right, 2 p/t jobs are fine so long as it amounts to 35hrs a week. If you are finding work hard to find (like I!!) and your partner gets a full time job - this is fine too - you just switch the visa to their name when you apply for 887. This website is v.good:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/887/

• 2 months later...

Taken from SA immigration website fact sheet - Pathways to Permanency:

'Skilled Employment (Subclass 887)/Self-Employment*: This would probably be the most common pathway to gain Permanent Residency but you must wait at least TWO YEARS before you can apply for permanency and the original principal applicant OR the partner may apply but this person must meet all the criteria below:

• Live in Regional Australia for at least two years

• Continue to live in Regional Australia until the permanent visa is granted

• Work in ANY occupation for a TOTAL of 12 months (does not have to be consecutive, can be accumulative)

• Work in full-time, paid employment for at least 35 hours per week

• Only weeks worked at full time will be counted towards qualifying for permanency.'

For some reason my post was cut in half and I've tried to re-write twice now only for it to happen again so here's an additional post instead! What I also wanted to say was to confirm that on the DIAC website it is noted that 2 p/t jobs can make up the f/t requirement (would be nice if both websites confirmed the same info!)

I would be interested to know how DIAC would view an application from someone who is working one part time role plus self employment and needs to accumulate the hours! (for example OH can have a ruch of work then quiet period - can hours be averaged out I wonder?)

For some it's not as cut and dried as having the security of a full time job that is consistent and reliable.

I need a strong cuppa...:wacko:

Guest stufi1997

Hiya,

I asked the same question as Stu is self employed (sole-trader) and was told...although I'm sceptical of anything I'm told from the DIAC helpline nowadays....that the week must have 35 hours or more to qualify therefore can't be averaged out, can't count holidays etc....having said that I don't know how they are going to work that out from Stuart's books as he just bills his boss the total amount not a breakdown eg ?? hours @ $?? per hour. I reckon that if they pay enough tax they'll just take it as a given that it's regular work, but hey what do I know, it belongs to the powers that be.... lol

Guest soggy
Hiya,

I asked the same question as Stu is self employed (sole-trader) and was told...although I'm sceptical of anything I'm told from the DIAC helpline nowadays....that the week must have 35 hours or more to qualify therefore can't be averaged out, can't count holidays etc....having said that I don't know how they are going to work that out from Stuart's books as he just bills his boss the total amount not a breakdown eg ?? hours @ $?? per hour. I reckon that if they pay enough tax they'll just take it as a given that it's regular work, but hey what do I know, it belongs to the powers that be.... lol

Hi,

:shocked:I hope I am not judged on how much tax I pay, if I am my chance of staying are :Randy-git: :)

Simon

• 2 weeks later...
Guest ebi165

Actually I have the same problem .Having been in SA for almost one year couldnt find a fulltime job in my field .I am working part time at coles and planing to drive a taxi in order to fulfill my one year requirement .As you know driving a cab is considered self employment and you need to have ABN.

I am just wondering how can I prove DIAC that I work 35 hr per week when I am driving a cab if they are going to judge me based on my tax ? for example you may earn $100 dollars one day and next day you earn $150 with the same hours....so how is it going to be judged?what kind of document should be gathered to prove the hours?any idea will be appreciated!

• 3 years later...

HI All,

Please help me as i am pretty confused with proving full time work using Taxi driving. I Called up DIAC and they told me its hard for taxi drivers to prove that they were workin full time for 35 hrs a week. They dont accept working login/ out hours from the taxi company as its not the employer. How do i go about it... Please help.

SAeed