Taking the cat

Guest nicky, alan and charlotte

Hi need some advice, we have a year old cat that is part of the family that we would like to bring with us. Has anyone on here bought a cat over from the UK. I have been told that he would have to do his quarantine in Melbourne is this correct, if so do we have to fly to Melbourne to pick him up? And anyone got any idea of the cost.

Any help or advice would be gratefully recieved.

thanks

Nicky

Hi Nicky,

we are taking two cats and have had a quote from Golden Arrow, this is about £ 1500 for both of them plus additional costs for quarantine etc when they are in Melbourne. We are going to look into the costs and implications of flying them to adelaide once they have finished there 30 day quarantine, also we are going to look at driving to pick them up, it is a long way so this option would'nt be easy.

any more info needed just ask

thanks

tina

Guest Matt & Suzi

Hi Nicky,

If you look on Migration issues on Page 3 there are 2 questions you might get some info on. I am taking my dog and have heard Golden Arrow are good, just in the prosess of getting a quote from them.

Guest The Bowmans

Hi Nicky

We are taking Amber and Max with us (non-negotiable!) and have been quoted £1450 for both of them by Jets4Pets. As Tina says, you will then have to pay boarding costs at the nearest quarantine centre, which is Melbourne and arrange transportation for them at the end of the period.

If you want any more info, let me know.

Deena :)

Thanks for all your replies, just out of interest does anyone know how much the quarantine costs are for the 30 days, just trying to work out the money side. People think we are mad taking the cat but he is our baby and we could not leave him, just hope it is not too stressful for him.

Has anyone else moved with a cat? and were they ok?

Thanks

Nicky

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

Check out www.aqis.gov.au this gives info on the station at Melbourne. We have found that it's worked out cheaper to apply for their import permit ourselves,and then pay for the flights to Melbourne (via Adelaide) once the 30 days is up. Prices have varied from between £5000 to £1650 (for 3 cats) so shop around.

Ring Qantas or BA as they have details on who they use to transport livestock into OZ etc. If you need anything else please get in touch.

Guest Matt & Suzi

Hi Neil

That info was really good, have you arranged the shipping, cages etc on your own? I was told airlines dont except members of the public arranging travel and they recommed you go through an agent.

Guest Neil Meadowcroft

We applied for the import permits ourselves, but your correct you have to use an agent to transport cats/livestock across. I'll check over the weekend who we got quotes from and what they are coming out at and feed back.

Cheers.