Electric plugs

ken&wendy

Guest Carl Hallam

Dont know where you can get them here, i am a Electrician and am taking two or three extension leads over uk style and just changing the plugs on those when i get there , if you think about it you cant change the plugs on a lot of stuff like modems/routers, mobile phone chergers, cordless phones, computer speakers, kids computer game (DS, PSP) chargers etc . So i suggest some extension leads to take. also means you dont have to change everything electrical you take

Guest graandjac
Dont know where you get them in the UK but here there bout $5 each in Bunnings and realy east to fit and they dont have fuses[/quote

Matt is dead right BUT be aware that by law you are not allowed to change plugs(not lecturing just letting you know as i did change all mine), if there is any electrical fire or damaged caused due to the changed plug by you you are liable. Daft i know but just be aware.

Guest turners
Dont know where you get them in the UK but here there bout $5 each in Bunnings and realy east to fit and they dont have fuses[/quote

Matt is dead right BUT be aware that by law you are not allowed to change plugs(not lecturing just letting you know as i did change all mine), if there is any electrical fire or damaged caused due to the changed plug by you you are liable. Daft i know but just be aware.

We have changed most of our plugs and think it's abit daft not being able to do it yourselfs so to speak

they shouldn't sell them in diy store if your not suposed to do it yourself

Laughable isn't it:jiggy::arghh:

Guest marty

Hi Guys,

You can change the plug tops without any problems, its the power points you can't change. Retail on a Clipsal plug top is $5.76 but you should be able to get them cheaper. HPM I know are cheaper but personaly the Clipsal product is 100's time better and eaiser to fit, instruction are in the packet

Guest kangomik

you better not tell the majority of Australia that you cannot change a plug !!!!!!

You can buy the european plug adapters from bunnings at around 15 bux, i think these also have a breaker in them. due to size you can only get one in a double plug.

10Amp normal rated lead ( and sockets) here, 15 amp is industrial.

I don't know how many adapters you would want to run out of a UK extension lead. though you will not be powering everything up at once so i guess your ok.

Guest LordLucan

We have changed most of our plugs and think it's abit daft not being able to do it yourselfs so to speak

they shouldn't sell them in diy store if your not suposed to do it yourself

Laughable isn't it:jiggy::arghh:

Yes laughable, stupid, moronic and bureaucratic - makes my blood boil, damned nanny state.

Edit mode on.

I just read another post which says you CAN change plugs, but not sockets. Oops. Does that mean you can't extend the electrics in your roof space to put extra sockets in all your rooms? Oops, bet it does. Thank goodness I sold that house! Oops!

Guest tooeasy

Yes laughable, stupid, moronic and bureaucratic - makes my blood boil, damned nanny state.

Edit mode on.

I just read another post which says you CAN change plugs, but not sockets. Oops. Does that mean you can't extend the electrics in your roof space to put extra sockets in all your rooms? Oops, bet it does. Thank goodness I sold that house! Oops!

you can change plug tops without an electrical licence :)

but you are not allowed to cchange light fittings gpo's or anything that includes the internal wiring in your house as you are not qualified hope you cab sleep when the house burns down with the people who bought it in it

thats why i went to college so i knew what i was doing and can do it properly:wacko:

Guest kangomik

lets hope theres not a fault in the cable then, and the house burns down with everyone in it, and you the last to sign off on the job !!!!!!!!!

Lets not blow a whole thing up!

Guest graandjac

Hi Guys,

You can change the plug tops without any problems, its the power points you can't change. Retail on a Clipsal plug top is $5.76 but you should be able to get them cheaper. HPM I know are cheaper but personaly the Clipsal product is 100's time better and eaiser to fit, instruction are in the packet[/quote

Yes its easy.......YOU ARE NOT allowed by law to change plug tops, didnt say i agreed with it.

Guest Alipally

I think I might want to believe the qualified and certified (:P) electrician, as opposed to anyone else... but that's just me.

However walking around a new build in the local area, I was horrified at the first fix electrics....

1.No trunking,

2.No clear routes for the wires, just ran willy nilly from one point to the next

I live in a brand new house and the wires have all come loose from the light switches and the light in the garage was stuck on because the sparky wired it in wrong.

There are no fuses or RCD's on the plugs/sockets (WTF?)

the electric regs here do not induce a feeling of safety and comfort... plugs in bathrooms etc. also seem wrong, convenient, but wrong! :unsure:

My only comfort is that it's better than some of the wiring I saw in India!!!

Guest LordLucan

you can change plug tops without an electrical licence :)

but you are not allowed to cchange light fittings gpo's or anything that includes the internal wiring in your house as you are not qualified hope you cab sleep when the house burns down with the people who bought it in it

thats why i went to college so i knew what i was doing and can do it properly:wacko:

Its hardly brain surgery! I sleep well enough thank you.

Guest nishman

Changed loads of plugs in my time here... Get yourself to big W - they're $2-3 a pop there depending on the style.

As a first step, bring half a dozen 4-way adaptors. That way you can change 6 plugs for many appiances. That way you also retain the good old pommie fuse (the only fuses here are in the breaker box outside). Bear in mind though that the replacement plugs are 10amp not 13.

You'll certainly be looking to change plugs asap after trying to get phone charger transformers to stick in the socket using the UK-Aus adaptors!

You'll freak when you see how flimsy they are compared to the solid UK ones. But they do the job :)

Guest tooeasy

Its hardly brain surgery! I sleep well enough thank you.

its not brain surgery but you still are not qualified to install new gpo's how do you know you have done it safely did you test the extra gpo's you installed i think not so you dont know if they are done correctly do you anything could happen glad i dont live in that house :D

they brought licences in to stop cowboys :P

Guest tooeasy
I think I might want to believe the qualified and certified (:P) electrician, as opposed to anyone else... but that's just me.

However walking around a new build in the local area, I was horrified at the first fix electrics....

1.No trunking,

2.No clear routes for the wires, just ran willy nilly from one point to the next

I live in a brand new house and the wires have all come loose from the light switches and the light in the garage was stuck on because the sparky wired it in wrong.

There are no fuses or RCD's on the plugs/sockets (WTF?)

the electric regs here do not induce a feeling of safety and comfort... plugs in bathrooms etc. also seem wrong, convenient, but wrong! :unsure:

My only comfort is that it's better than some of the wiring I saw in India!!!

if there is no rcd's on your gpo's then it should never have been passed and the builder should never have signed it off every installation has to have a coc to be signed off this is to ensure its been tested and installed to the current regulations ;)