SIR495 to 887 timescale and decision

Guest Devon

Guest Devon

I promised to post when our case officer had made the decision so here goes!

We applied for 887 (from SIR 495) at the beginning of Sept '08

CO was allocated at the end of February '09 (with the info that we could have 28 days to leave OZ if we were rejected as we were already on a bridging visa due to the 495 becoming expired during the wait for CO)

Today the 3rd April we have had the answer - VISA GRANTED

Guest gypsy
)

Hi Devon,

Congratulations!!!!:D

Just few queries on transition from 887 to citizenship.

1. Do you get all the centre link benefits right now or do you have to wait for 2 more years.
  2. Now that you had been granted 887, What will be the waiting period for your citizenship now.?

Thanks in advance

Govind

Guest gypsy
)

Hi Devon,

1. Do you get all the centre link benefits right now or do you have to wait for 2 more years.
  2. Now that you had been granted 887, What will be the waiting period for your citizenship now.?

Thanks in advance

Govind

Guest Devon

Hi Devon,

Thanks in advance

Hi there

Thank you all for your congrats :jiggy:

1. The visa states that you will have to wait two more years before you can apply for most centrelink entitlements. There are however special circumstances where help can be given to new migrants. Not being able to find work nor running out of money are considered as a special circumstance.

2. It looks like it would only be twelve months until citizenship could be applied for as we have already been here for three years - however I would advise that you read the terms on immi's website as I know we looked at the length of time required when applying for the 887 as we were so excited at the time, so I am saying this from memory :confused: We haven't actually checked since receiving the visa as due to certain circumstances we are going back to the UK

Good luck to all of you though

Hi Devon

Firstly many congratulations to you. It seems the processing time was relatively quick for you, did you apply online or paper copy. I have until Sept 09 before I have to do mine but any information is helpful, I am following Donna T's progress as I understand she has applied online recently.

I had no idea about the Centrelinks entitlements, I would have thought having PR you would be treated as any other resident but you say you are treated as new migrants even after fulfilling 2 years on the SIR495, seems very harsh & concerns me slightly, but it is what it is, we have made it so far so it can only get easier.

Also have I understood the post above, you now have PR but are returning to the UK? I am sorry to hear that, but also wondering why, without being nosey. I hope it does work out for you all.

Guest Martin and Val

Congratulations Devon, It's great to hear this good news mate. I know you have your reasons for returning to the UK now even though you have the PR Visa and I wish you every success for the future where ever it may take you.

One question I must ask if you don't mind, as you are laving Australia is there a time limit on your new visa? What I'm trying to say is it for life or will they remove it if you don't return within a given time

Good Luck

Martin

Guest cunnah10

CO was allocated at the end of February '09 (with the info that we could have 28 days to leave OZ if we were rejected as we were already on a bridging visa due to the 495 becoming expired during the wait for CO)

Great news about your Permanent visa ..... Obviously i knew you were heading back to the UK just like i have done ....but at least you do have your permanent visa now....not sure how that will work for you in the future if you ever decide to head back to OZ ...but i'm sure you will find out all that you need to know for any possible future plans!

Good Luck to you both on your return to the UK and don't forget we have invited ourselves down to see you in Devon once you are settled!

Thinking of you....Gill xxxxx

Guest Devon
Hi Devon

Firstly many congratulations to you. It seems the processing time was relatively quick for you, did you apply online or paper copy. I have until Sept 09 before I have to do mine but any information is helpful, I am following Donna T's progress as I understand she has applied online recently.

I had no idea about the Centrelinks entitlements, I would have thought having PR you would be treated as any other resident but you say you are treated as new migrants even after fulfilling 2 years on the SIR495, seems very harsh & concerns me slightly, but it is what it is, we have made it so far so it can only get easier.

Also have I understood the post above, you now have PR but are returning to the UK? I am sorry to hear that, but also wondering why, without being nosey. I hope it does work out for you all.

Hi Angela

Thank you

We applied online. We were quoted 10 - 12 months that they would take to deal with application. Luckily they caught up and so it was only six months in the end :jiggy:

Yes regarding Centrelink it deffo does say that you have to wait a further two years for any benefits. I personally think that it would be worth trying as each case maybe treated differently, as it is just the two of us maybe with children it would be different? After all you will already have done some years here - we had done three and also it deffo does say that we could have applied for citizenship after twelve more months. Worth checking out in your case?

We are heading back to the UK for various reasons. It is great here however we do come from a great part of the UK anyway and never hated it. We were starting to struggle financially after three years here. My job although working with the best of the best would never have paid the bills and nor did OH's although he was working all hours. We have basically been wiping out our savings over the three years. When we had made the decision we were then told of serious illnesses which close family members in the UK were keeping from us when they thought we were staying here. They had been hiding the fact that my mum had had two strokes, my dad had a brain tumour and my OH's sis was ill also! I was horrified that they had been hiding it from us so that we didn't feel guilty for being so far away! Can't believe that absences when phoning were disguised as hols etc. Then the biggie came - we had made the decision but were worried with the possible 28 day notice to leave OZ looming over us. Even if we did want to change our minds (which we didn't as although great it's not for us) we have gone too far now. I'm just really sad at the moment at the thought of never seeing my friends at work as have made some really close relationships with them. Although I'm boosting the UK economy as two are already making arrangements to come to the UK :jiggy:Also there are some great people who will hopefully be coming to visit us anyway ;)

Good Luck with your application and your life here in SA

Guest Devon
Congratulations Devon, It's great to hear this good news mate. I know you have your reasons for returning to the UK now even though you have the PR Visa and I wish you every success for the future where ever it may take you.

One question I must ask if you don't mind, as you are laving Australia is there a time limit on your new visa? What I'm trying to say is it for life or will they remove it if you don't return within a given time

Good Luck

Martin

Hi Martin

Thank you

It was good news as we would never have made the move within 28 days :err:

Thank you for your kind words :notworthy: I'll probably still look at the site as enjoy reading your posts and progress!

The new visa says that we can leave and enter OZ freely with no probs until 2014 after which time we would need to apply for a re-entry visa - not sure how easy or if it would actually be possible after that time - who knows? We probably wouldn't be doing that now but it does state that though so never say never eh?;)

Hope the new job is going well.

Good luck to you and Val in your new life - although not so new now!

Guest Devon
Great news about your Permanent visa ..... Obviously i knew you were heading back to the UK just like i have done ....but at least you do have your permanent visa now....not sure how that will work for you in the future if you ever decide to head back to OZ ...but i'm sure you will find out all that you need to know for any possible future plans!

Good Luck to you both on your return to the UK and don't forget we have invited ourselves down to see you in Devon once you are settled!

Thinking of you....Gill xxxxx

Hi there Gill

Thank you

Great to hear from you and hope all is well with all of you. Was great news as the pressure's off a bit now - although still booked up for May:v_SPIN: Blimey how on earth did you manage to arrange everything in the short time you did! :notworthy: There's not enough hours in the day and although I handed in my notice seven weeks ago - I still haven't left as they keep asking me to do more days!

Would be fantastic to see you down in Devon - really looking forward to it :wubclub:

Thinking of you all too - and promise to be in touch soon. Shipping all arranged and got a great deal in the end

C xxxxxx

Guest Devon
Big congrats babes.

Good luck on heading back to the uk.

Hi Nick

Thank you

Hope all goes well for you as well. Also great news for you as they've caught up quite a bit so yours hopefully will go through even more quickly. Nearly time to put your application in - at least they didn't find out I was underbelly 2 :jiggy::biglaugh:

Take care hun

C x

Guest wemadeit

Congratulations - certainly given some of this stories we'd heard about the 495 to PR status.

Without being too nosey, I thought you could've applied for your 495 after a minimum of 2yrs - were you aware of this? This would have taken the stress away of that bidging visa expiring?

All the best for the future

Guest wemadeit

Also, I forgot to ask - when you apply, I understand you have to supply proof of living in SA by things such as payslips/bills/school records etc - what else do you need to do/provide? Also, do you have to have another medical?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,

Guest Devon
Also, I forgot to ask - when you apply, I understand you have to supply proof of living in SA by things such as payslips/bills/school records etc - what else do you need to do/provide? Also, do you have to have another medical?

Sorry for all the questions.

Cheers,

Hi there

Thank you

Yes we were aware however applied at the two and a half year stage due to me having to go offshore to change part of original visa so that I was allowed to work - by the time we paid for that and they allowed me to work it was six months later - hence why it was longer than two years before we applied for original 887 :arghh: - also this gave me three months back in the UK and made me realise that although I thought it was ok here, I really missed everything about the UK and had forgotten how beautiful it was. Albeit I wasn't working back there either so had time for the beach everyday :v_SPIN:

Basically just provide everything you can - all receipts to do with rental/purchase of property, utility bills from the beginning middle and end of the two years. Payslips and contracts for work and if self-employed BAS statements will probably be requested - this was the only thing that we hadn't sent that they requested.

No further medicals were requested - I don't think that they always ask for another medical - although I had had to have a another medical when back in the UK last year for that change to original visa.

Good luck with your new life here :jiggy:

Guest wemadeit

Thanks for the info..............It seems this whole adventure hasn't been the smoothest for you so I hope your trip back and life in the uK is good for you. Also, best wishes for your family - hope all is ok.

We are loving Adelaide, but unfortunately work is so difficult to get - and as this 495 visa is so criteria driven - we are on the verge of leaving. We got PR status for Canada at the same time (long story...) and are now thinking that it would be easier to go there as PR status is complete - we just need to live there for 2yrs to gain citizenship. Either way, thanks for your advice and I hope goes well with you.

Guest cunnah10

Hi Cathy

I am very confused....i thought that "if" or "when" you became permanent you would be entitled to the likes of "child benefit" or "rent allowance" like every other permanent residence!

Is this not the case?

Once you change from Temp to permanent do you still have to wait another 2 years before you are entitled to such benefits?

if so this seems very unfair!

Am i correct also that any applications for 475 visas have been suspended from April 2009?

Does this give anybody reason to worry who are already on a 475 visa....if they fulfil the criteria (12 months working full time & 2 years living in Adelaide)will they definately be granted permanent?

so many rumours going around at the moment not sure what to believe!

Gill

Guest cunnah10
Hi Cathy

I am very confused....i thought that "if" or "when" you became permanent you would be entitled to the likes of "child benefit" or "rent allowance" like every other permanent residence!

Is this not the case?

Once you change from Temp to permanent do you still have to wait another 2 years before you are entitled to such benefits?

Am i correct also that any applications for 475 visas have been suspended from April 2009?

Does this give anybody reason to worry who are already on a 475 visa....if they fulfil the criteria (12 months working full time & 2 years living in Adelaide)will they definately be granted permanent?

Gill

Just keeping my options open!!!!

Guest Devon
Thanks for the info..............It seems this whole adventure hasn't been the smoothest for you so I hope your trip back and life in the uK is good for you. Also, best wishes for your family - hope all is ok.

We are loving Adelaide, but unfortunately work is so difficult to get - and as this 495 visa is so criteria driven - we are on the verge of leaving. We got PR status for Canada at the same time (long story...) and are now thinking that it would be easier to go there as PR status is complete - we just need to live there for 2yrs to gain citizenship. Either way, thanks for your advice and I hope goes well with you.

Thank you again. I feel so strange at the moment as soooo excited about going back on one hand. On the other though I am really sad as have made some brilliant friends here. Life also suddenly took a turn for the better ie pr would have meant that we could go for those jobs we wanted (although I loved mine, the money was rubbish) and so many more doors have opened up. Hey ho though all too late now, and probably would really regret not going back to be honest.

Only you can make that decision. It can be a long hard struggle here for some. To be honest we kept getting so tired after the first couple of years of the fight to stay etc. Yes something worthwhile is worth fighting for but to us there is a limit. Three years was enough time wasted. Down to both time and finances. We have lived in other countries which we absolutely loved as well and we could relax from day one as there was no struggle or fight to go through. Depends how much you want to actually be here. For instance now - life would probably take a turn for the better - all too little too late unfortunately - just goes to show though that it could or could not get better. All a gamble really - there do seem to be some horror stories around - although some good ones too. I do still think though that this 495 visa was a nightmare. Unfortunately for some it is their only way to get here.

I really do wish you the very best of luck with your decision. If you decide to stay, hope it goes more smoothly for you and you get your dream. If you go to Canada the best of luck there as well. I know that a lot of people from where I come from back home have gone to Canada and loved it. Not much help am I sorry :arghh:

Guest Devon
Hi Cathy

Is this not the case?

Gill

Hi Gill

You made me think twice - I have read and re-read the visa and it deffo states that we have to wait two more years for any benefits - except those special circumstances which could arise? Not that we would claim as no little ones to feed etc - maybe this is why it was on ours? We could all do with knowing if it is on a family's visa who has gone 495 to 887 as it does seem unfair that they have already spent the time here and would not be entitled to the same as those coming straight in on pr visa?! Also I have thought - so we could have applied to become citizens in 12 months time but would have to wait another year to be entitled to claim? This is hypothetical for us as one we wouldn't need to claim and two we are going back anyway. Could be important info for any families here though? Also like you say for keeping your options open - same as us ;) We might feel like a game of tennis sometime :biglaugh: - who knows what the future holds!

C x

Guest caoimhe
Hi Gill

You made me think twice - I have read and re-read the visa and it deffo states that we have to wait two more years for any benefits - except those special circumstances which could arise? Not that we would claim as no little ones to feed etc - maybe this is why it was on ours? We could all do with knowing if it is on a family's visa who has gone 495 to 887 as it does seem unfair that they have already spent the time here and would not be entitled to the same as those coming straight in on pr visa?! Also I have thought - so we could have applied to become citizens in 12 months time but would have to wait another year to be entitled to claim? This is hypothetical for us as one we wouldn't need to claim and two we are going back anyway. Could be important info for any families here though? Also like you say for keeping your options open - same as us ;) We might feel like a game of tennis sometime :biglaugh: - who knows what the future holds!

C x

I really hope its not the case for families. We are struggling financially and the only hope I have is that in 2 years if we get PR we will be able to get child benefit. Don't get me wrong I didn't come to OZ to live off the state but my O/Hs wages are so low and we have 4 kids so are finding things very difficult that some extra money would be a god send.

It seems strange that someone can come in on PR and get family benefit and rent assistance straight away but someone entering on a temp visa who then gets PR has to wait 2 more years. Even though the criteria for PR is to have worked for a year and therefore have been paying tax:confused: