Shipping, how clean do your tools need to be?

Guest Allie Bloss

Guest Allie Bloss

Well I have just spent all week being the dutiful wife cleaning and disinfecting Wes (husband) tools, work bench, golf clubs etc (with Jeyes) only now he is panicking that they are not clean enough.

They are all clean & free of dirt etc but some such as hammers and the like have some rust on them can anyone advice if this will cause us any problems in Aussie customs / AQIS?

Shipping date booked for 29th April (to stay in UK starage until ready to be shipped) using Britania.

Many thanks. xx

My husband just did his 2 weeks ago and did the same as you, as long as any dirt/ soil / plaster (in his case) was removed they should be fine, we were advised rust isnt an issue. Our shippers told us we would most likely be stopped at customs due to the amount of tools we have but as long as they see straight away that they have been cleaned its not a problem. You are a good wife, there was no chance of me doing his tools for him!!

Well I have just spent all week being the dutiful wife cleaning and disinfecting Wes (husband) tools, work bench, golf clubs etc (with Jeyes) only now he is panicking that they are not clean enough.

They are all clean & free of dirt etc but some such as hammers and the like have some rust on them can anyone advice if this will cause us any problems in Aussie customs / AQIS?

Shipping date booked for 29th April (to stay in UK starage until ready to be shipped) using Britania.

Many thanks. xx

All sounds fine, When i did mine just concentrated on removing any dirt and wood dust, rust marks/stains not a problem.

Our shippers said the one favourite they like to try is turning the golf bag upside down and if grass/mud falls out then customs hit you with a cleaning bill!

Guest kangomik

i had two tool chests ( roller cabs) make sure greased and oil is off, and clean all the boxes, especially the bottoms, i even cleaned the casters. Then sprayed the whole lot with WD 40. WD kills everything but it stops everything from rusting up!

I am told wood work power tools need to be really clean.

I listed everything in the drawers, drawer 1 screw drivers, drawer 2 spanners etc. took a while, but they never opened a single thing...... cos i had the keys with me!

Don't work about rust, its dirt, wood, grease and oil.

Guest cornish Busdriver

All my tool chest and tools came over ok.

I spent 2 weeks degreasing them all and then sprayed them all down with good ole WD40.

I had no probs with them in customs even though theres a lot of tools, Just tape your keys to the top of the chest so they can be inspected and you will be fine.

(Q) whats with using Jeyes fluid for cleaning or degreasing tools????? Go to Kev Coopers and invest in a couple gallon of degreaser and soak them, make life a lot easier

Guest Nick11

We used jeyes fluid on ours. Our shippers said they usually take one sniff of it and don't go any further. Worked for us. Got camping equipment, work tools etc through - no boxes were even opened!

Guest Allie Bloss

Thanks everyone - looks like we should be ok then - thank goodness!!

We were advised by our shipping company, like Nick11, to use Jeyes because of the smell.

Fingers crossed,

Thanks again.