Where to live in SA??? Please help.

Guest Beccy72

Guest Beccy72

:err:We have started the process of emigrating to SA but don't know where to aim for. We'd like to live near a beach for our wee boy (and me!) but have heard that house prices are higher in the south. Good schools are a must along with affordable housing (c $350pw to rent).

Can anyone give us some pointers.

Beccy x

House prices are not higher in the South.

My husband grew up in Batley and a school friend of his was here last month to activate their visas. I will ask him if it's ok and you can give him a call or pop round and see him if you like...he also stays in Mirfield??? He might have some suggestions for you.

It depends upon your work, how far you will travel etc...all factors to take into consideration when deciding where to live.

I am bias. We bought our Port Noarlunga house within two weeks of getting here. If it's great beaches, access to public transport, shopping centres then you should be looking along the coast from Hallett Cove to Aldinga.

Let me know whether you want to contact Ian in Mirfield.

Guest Beccy72

:DYes yes yes please. It would be great to actually talk to someone in person! Ask him if it would be OK please.....could maybe meet him for a drink...on us of course!!

Thanks so much for responding. x

Guest Guest75

Hiya

Prices in general are a little lower in the south,good access to the beaches and the lovely vineyards of McLaren Vale.

Some good schools down this way and $350 a week should see some good rentals for you.

It's my personal preference and I know a fair few incoming Poms do choose this area.

BUT do have a look at other areas before committing yourself.

Work will also dictate where you will settle. :)

Guest Jo&Phil

As a very general rule of thumb, housing is most expensive in the city itself (or close to it) and goes down in price north and south the further out you are. There are some high price areas in both south and north.

Beachside suburbs and small towns you might consider include: Seaford, Seacombe Gardens, Hallet Cove, Flagstaff Hill and surrounds (all about 18kms from the city). Small towns/settlements 20-40kms south which are a good bet include McLaren Vale, Willunga, Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga Downs, Onkaparinga Hills etc.

There are always some better suburbs than others of course and we would all have differing opinions of places we would like to live in or not.

What sort of job or industry will you or your partner be working in? This may impact on where you might aim to live in terms of easy transport/time to work/etc

Theres equivalent priced property North , south , east west. Norwood is pricey , Glenelg to Brighton pricey. Henley beach pricey. City Pricey. Salisbury heights pricey.At the end of the day, places with transport links and with life are normally pricey, as such areas with big houses. Same as UK really. Huge choice and only you can decide what suits your family?

Guest Libby1971
Theres equivalent priced property North , south , east west. Norwood is pricey , Glenelg to Brighton pricey. Henley beach pricey. City Pricey. Salisbury heights pricey.At the end of the day, places with transport links and with life are normally pricey, as such areas with big houses. Same as UK really. Huge choice and only you can decide what suits your family?

Brilliant post. Short, succinct, to the point. :biglaugh::biglaugh:

Guest Beccy72

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at these areas.

Paul currently works in the automotive industry (plastic injection moulding) as a Project Manager. The role is adaptable but is within manufacturing. I understand most manufacturing is in the North? Would that make the beach locations to much of a commute?

x

Quality of life has more to do with what your willing to put into it. Although i dont live in the North West area of the CBD from actually visiting the areas personally i would say the area has either vastly improved since them figures were issued or they are extremely old data! Personally i would take more notice of someone that actually lives in that area!!!

Interesting. So anywhere NW of the CBD has a poor quality of life? Do you know what the % is based upon?

I would treat that map with a pinch of salt. Firstly it's a map with no explanation of what it really means so it's difficult to know quite what it is representing.

Secondly it seems to be based on council areas which are very large and cover a wide variety of suburbs both rich and poor. For example one area marked red (worst) NW of the city is the City of Charles Sturt, which includes some rich suburbs with expensive beachfront houses such as Henley, Tennyson, West lakes and Grange. Just look at Tennyson on realestate.com, look at the million $ plus homes and you will see what I mean. Leyton Hewitts old house in West lakes is up for sale too. Not a bad quality of life by most people's standards!!

Thanks for your reply. I'll have a look at these areas.

Paul currently works in the automotive industry (plastic injection moulding) as a Project Manager. The role is adaptable but is within manufacturing. I understand most manufacturing is in the North? Would that make the beach locations to much of a commute?

x

Don't want to be negative, but my OH is also in Automotive - a senior Project Manager/Engineer with nearly 30 years experience both here and in the UK. He was made redundant a couple of months ago, along with about a hundred others in the same industry and honestly, there is very little work available in that line out here at the moment. If your other half wants to stay within the same industry, he may well want to think very carefully if SA is the best place to come. We honestly are not optimistic about manufacturing in SA as a whole at the moment. Have you considered Melbourne?

Diane