cost of living

Guest ali@51

Guest ali@51

Just a quick question we were under the impression that the col in Au was on a par if not a little cheeper reletivly than uk ( food wise) ie meat cheaper veggeis beans tin ect on a relative par with the uk. but the winers last night seem to be suggesting that every thing was more exp? is this true? or is it only if you want to buy british brands ie hinez bb baxter soup ext

Guest dglamoore

We have stuck to local brands rather than hunting out uk familiar brands and usually find the cost of food here lower than the uk. Veggies and fruit can go up a lot week to week and best to just buy the ones in season :rolleyes:

We also rented a house in the uk before leaving and the rent we pay for our house now is less than we paid per month in uk as we don't pay council tax or water rates in a rental :D

Lisa:cool:

Guest Bex & Nick

As Lisa said don't look for familiar UK brands get used to the local brands as that will help. I'm also a big believer in buying veg that are in season. We haven't found the food shopping bill that much cheaper than the UK yet (we've only had two weekly shops so far) but I think we're learning to shop around rather than getting it all under one roof. Sometihngs are cheaper where as others are more expensive (swings and roundabouts) - I love seafood and the prawns we had the other night were massive and reasonably priced but the chicken was more expensive!

Re the housing, we're paying the same for our rental here as we were in the UK but we have got far more room here than in the UK and are less than 5 mins from the beach, plus we don't have to pay council tax (although unlike Lisa we've got to pay water rates).

Bex

Guest Kath_and_Ian

Cost is generally on a par: $200-250 for a week's food for a family of 4. What I've found is that the quality is a lot higher. Unlike Tesco's, the meat actually has a flavour to it, and the vegetables are not uniform and bland. There is less of the pre-prepared stuff, and prices fluctuate according to local market rates. I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper, but you can eat well if you are sensible and plan your week's shop.

Ian

Guest donna T

I find it a bit more expensive than I thought it would be. Quality is definitely better especially meat. Because I have to drag thel ittle ones around with me, I usualy just do a 'big' shop but know that if I followed the specials and went to a few different shops I would save quite a bit of money.

The Central Market in Adelaide is fab for stocking up on fruit and veg and is definitely cheaper and great fun too.

Guest ali@51

That sounds about what I expected. We sont want to use british brands over their so thats fine and I tend to do 2/3 small shops a week in the uk.Sounds as if ill be well suited

Guest smit
Just a quick question we were under the impression that the col in Au was on a par if not a little cheeper reletivly than uk ( food wise) ie meat cheaper veggeis beans tin ect on a relative par with the uk. but the winers last night seem to be suggesting that every thing was more exp? is this true? or is it only if you want to buy british brands ie hinez bb baxter soup ext

Who are the winers?

Cost of living depends on what you are comparing too.A straight conversion $ to £ , then oz woluld be cheaper.If you were on your uk wages things would be cheaper. If you are on average Adelaide wages ( c $ 40k ish) then things are expensive.It all depends on what you earn as to how expensive things are to YOU.

Guest ade&emma

I have to say i am releaved to here that everything isn't expensive in Oz. Having watched the program that was a big worry. On the whole we have been told that the standard of living is better is Australia and while that doesn't mean everything is going to be cheaper that the Uk i didn't expect to be paying over the odds for everyday food and goods.

Thanks for easing that concern.

Emma xx

Guest dglamoore
On to the important things, how much for a bottle of local wine, and dont say you dont know

Simon

We went to woolies liquor shop and bought 24 bottles for $200 all names like Hardys, Penfolds, Jacobs Creek etc which we were paying about £10 a bottle for in UK :eek:. We also bought some 5 litre boxes of wine for $14 each :) all for research of course ;)

Guest deb and stoo

Hi Smack Fairy

Deb has just asked me if we can arrange an earlier flight,like tommorrow, so she can come help you with your research ;)

:D

Guest dglamoore
Hi Smack Fairy

Deb has just asked me if we can arrange an earlier flight,like tommorrow, so she can come help you with your research ;)

hehe don't worry there will still be some left - best thing here is living 10 mins from mclaren vale too :D Such a hard life :rolleyes:

Guest muppetbro

cost of living IS more expensive in oz and far less choices if you are a shoperholic......

it is comparable when you go on holidays/recces with a strong£ but when you are earning $ it becomes more expensive - you will be earning less money in addition - also consider when the £ weakens against the $ as it currenlt is trend wise

that was the same 12 years ago in perth as it was when we recced last august so unless things have changed..........house prices are the one significant saving (at the moment but talks of a boom are ever increasing) and a few other things in life

go with £100 to an asda / tesco in the uk and you will NOT get the range or choice or amounts of goods in adelaide as at last august - thats how friends told us on a return uk visit recently

however going out i always thought showed up the uk is expensive even with earning powers we take for granted - thats why ozzies have obesity problems like usa and uk - beer fags and restaurants are all cheap and the portions way too big

what price would you pay for good health or quality of life

keep whinging about the uk folks - problem is too many take that onto the plane :P

Guest Django
.......beer fags and restaurants are all cheap and the portions way too big

what price would you pay for good health or quality of life

Yeah but you don't have to drink and smoke just because its cheaper than UK. Also you don't have to eat everything put in front of you.:o

Does this mean your going to take up golf coz its cheaper to play out in Oz than it is here?;)

Pete

Guest graandjac

:mad:muppet is this site called poms in adelaide or perth....? we no perth is dearer thats why we are going to adelaide and believe me anywhere IS cheeper than living here down here in the southeast... Cheers Graham

Guest dglamoore

And houses are waaaaaay cheaper than Exeter, Devon.

Some food is dearer here but keeping to fruit and veg in season makes a huge difference. Meat is a lot cheaper here and fresh food tastes much nicer with more flavour. Plus their is loads you can grow here too - in our garden we have fig trees, olive trees, apricot, and one we have not sussed out yet :rolleyes:Plus surplus from friends trees too

We find the freezer here full of frozen meat and made dinners along with an emergency box of fish fingers for Dawn where in the UK it was full of ready meals :rolleyes:

Overall when we go shopping we find the same choice as in the UK - in fact more sometimes and we have not once left the shop yet thinking it was more than UK - and yes we are earning aussie dollars now :eek:Every week we get 2 lots of brochures in the 'junk mail' telling you which supermarkets have what on offer so you find people here bounce between the three major ones plus smaller shops rather than using one place for a 'big' shop. Personally I love this as trawling round Tesco for an hour or more was my idea of hell !!

Guest dale_jo@
Was that Whiners not winers?

;)

Talking about wines we have got the best winery a stones throw away which do a beautiful port and have a selection of nice red and white wines for you to taste at your leisure ask for Phil at Horndale Winery and he will look after you.

Cleanskins for around $7.00 I recently took a mate to my sister inlaws house to look at a cubby house he is getting for his little girls I mentioned to him can we call past Phil's as I have to fill up my port barrel 1 hour later we left the winery with Keith being $100.00 poorer, but 2 boxes full of an assortment of local wines.

I said your problem is you cannot say no!!!!!!

Guest betty22

Hi,

we have been here for 2.5 years now and I still walk out/and check my troley and think woww I got all that for 80 GBP. meat, veggies, pantry stuff etc and loads of rubbish that the girls eat!!,

I think that on the whole you get a lot more for your $ than I spent in GBP in the UK

Liz

PS. But hey I miss george clothing for the kids. Have a shipment arriving this week!!!!