Living cost - major concern

ischa

Hi All,

We have just returned from our reggi to Adelaide - we loved it.

My husband met with two companies whilst out there, both meetings was very positive. We are in the process of doing the sums of moving out there and most importantly living there. (as I'm sure many of you have done during this journey).

I have a major concern, it seems that our income is not enough to cover the normal monthly expenses !! My husband can earn between $70 and 80k per annum. I will not be working as will have two small children.

From reading threads on this site and chatting to people whilst out there - I've calculated the bring home salary and normal expenses and as I say we cannot live there !

I've worked out that he will pay 32% tax and health care - this works out to $1866 per month nett (based on $70k). Taking just rent, gas, internet, phones, car ins, food into account - it comes to over $2400

Can anyone pls help ! Any input would be great - even if I can send someone a PM to check I've got it right.

Thanks,

Lindi

Guest kangomik

If he earns that he is on a good wage.

Smaller house, smaller car, eat less

If your on PR you can child benefit, have you looked at this.

It's not a great deal of help i know, but they are many who earn just over half of that figure!

Guest mayjess

It's not a great deal of help i know, but they are many who earn just over half of that figure!

I completely agree with this reply, I dont know anyone (when I lived in Adelaide) who earned this wage, I earned half and we survived with 2 teenagers aswell, and hubby still looking to be employed, ~YOU CUT YOUR CLOTH ACCORDINGLY~ unless you dont choose to that is!!!! didnt bother us, we ate, we had a roof over our head, food in fridge, suppose it depends on what your after in life, we survived and had a social life and free fun days out to the beach/parks!!!!

Mayjess

Guest Trakki

I earn slightly less than that and we have 4 kids and survive comfortably. We are actually dropping to half that soon and will still be ok although wil not be able to get anything when we want it like we can now, so judging by the wage you are saying you should be fine. We are renting a 4 bed house which is quite expensive but still ok.

Completely agree with this thread.

That will be a bloody good wage....my husband works full-time (well, will do when he goes back to work) and i work part time (15 hours a week)...we dont' even reach that figure with combined income!

And i have 4 kids....2 teen girls included!..altough one works...we still support her in certain ways....

Guest majortom

Im only on about 32k, and the wife slighty more. Have a $140k mortgage which works out about $100-150 a week cheaper than renting. We have a young daughter that goes to private school.

Not to much left to tuck away for a nest egg, but we manage.

Jim

Guest kangomik

you have worked the bi weekly rate against the monthly rate.

he will take home 3600 on those figures.

I was watching master chef and it dawned on me

Guest kangomik

forgot to add.

Its because you work mortgage out at paying fortnightly, and you are paid fortnightly,

It catches a few people out, i know i got caught once or twice, you double up on the cost of monthly things .

Hi.....

just realised what I've done wrong - not even going to tell you because it's so silly.:embarrassed:

let's put it down to having a "pregnancy brain" at the moment.

thanks for your replies, been really helpful.

Guest graandjac

Its all about living within your means.........we earn about $60,000 between us and live just fine, we have heaps of quality time with the kids without spending much. Also remember you will get Family tax credit on a PR visa we get about $400.00 per month based on our earnings and the government pay 85% of our out of school hours child care inc school holidays....!!!!!, check your figures;)