Tax Return

Scozzie

Hi,

Does anyone know......... Do we need to do an OZ tax return before the end of this financial year 30th June if we arrived here in Oct '08. I've tried looking up the taxation website, but getting a bit confused with it all. Jamie started work last November and me in January 09.

Any help much appreciated,

Ta, Gill

Think I get it now, so 08/09 tax return for us then.......... and not 07/08 (which is the forms online at the moment) - which has to be done by end June?!

Think I maybe need a tax accountant:wacko:, just found one in Hallett Cove so will give them a call.

Ta for that.

Gill

Hey Gill

You could try Doug Booth, he is at Christie's Beach 08 8326 1426

email info@sas-pl.com.au

Andy

Thanks Andy, Couldn't remember the name of the guy you recommended. I've just given him a call and apparently we don't need to meet the June deadline but will receive something from employers in July and will need to do it after then. :wacko:

I will save his details and give him a call when its time.

Jo - its not only self-employed, as far as im aware we all need to do one (but im no expert lol)!!

Thanks,

Gill

Guest Kraig1967
Do I have to do it this year? Can't I wait this next year?

If you work in the 08/09 tax year then you have to do one, so if you are working now then you have to do one.

Sorry for the silly question, but the tax year is from when to when? We just arrived 3 months ago, so not used to this. Can't believe how good it was in the UK, that we didn't have to do this.

Guest Kraig1967
Sorry for the silly question, but the tax year is from when to when? We just arrived 3 months ago, so not used to this. Can't believe how good it was in the UK, that we didn't have to do this.

Check everything here http://www.ato.gov.au/

wait until you get a rebate, then you'll wonder why the UK doesn't do this

The same happened, I did the wizard and it was for the wrong year. I can't find info of when the tax year starts and ends either. I guess I have to ring someone up.

Confused now, can't find the website I was on earlier! Been on another one though and it's only if you work the year 07/08, not 08/09. Went through the wizard to see if we need to do it and none of the questions are about 2008 or 2009.

Lol Jo,

You sound as confused as me. I spoke to a guy who explained it wonderfully.

Doug Booth, he is at Christie's Beach 08 8326 1426

email info@sas-pl.com.au

We will need to do a tax return but not the 07/08 which is one the ato website at the moment but an 08/09 which is not yet on the website. Apparently our employer will give us a certificate of somesorts or a statement (early July), then you can either do it yourself or use a tax accountant. Which I will defo be doing, espec the 1st time around. Very reasonable price too!!

Hope this helps, least we don't have to meet the June 30th deadline!

Gill

Guest Kazzarazza
Confused now, can't find the website I was on earlier! Been on another one though and it's only if you work the year 07/08, not 08/09. Went through the wizard to see if we need to do it and none of the questions are about 2008 or 2009.

Hi all. There's a lot of newbies on here, so here goes.

The tax year goes from 1st July to 30th June each year so the current tax year has one month to go. You should get a tax statement early in July from your employer, one copy of which will go with your tax return. You have from July until 31st October to get your tax return in - unless you are using an accountant and they have got an extension (this may be necessary if you are self-employed, etc and need extra time) hence the reason you can still lodge a 2007-2008 return on the ATO site.

All workers have to lodge a return. Those of you who haven't worked the full 12 months in the current tax year should certainly get some back. I can remember in my first year thinking it was a waste of time - fixed salary, fixed tax rate, fixed super etc, but I have had a refund every single year. :) You can claim for all work-related expenses and most small items you don't need a receipt for (I think there is a $500 limit on claims without a receipt but this may have changed). Stationery, computing equipment, work related phone calls or petrol allowances, dry-cleaning, courses, books, even sun-screen if you work outside. It might be worth seeing a tax agent if it's your first time. They are not expensive for a relatively simple return and you can learn a lot from talking to one. Also, whatever they charge, you can claim some back in the next years tax return as their fee is also a deductable expense!

Good luck, Kazza

Guest redfoxy

Thanks for that, was jutsing going to ask about it !!

Are you saying its is fairly standard then to claim $500 expenses for say dry cleaning and office aexpenses for when looing for a jobe etc and petrol ??

Yes everyone should do it. It,s in your best interest when my husband and I did it we received $6000 back. We didn't refuse it !

Now we get that back every year and use it as a savings bank, on our tax form we tick no tax free threshold,(I think it's that one anyway).

David Murdock Accountant 109 Flaxmill Road Phone No. 8326 2140 is very good. Worth a phone call.

As other people have said, I would definately recommend getting a tax accountant to do it for you. They do it all for you, it doesn't take long and it doesn't cost that much either. I always used to get some money back. We used to use H & R Block, they have offices everywhere. Saves an awful lot of hassle, especially when you are trying to get to grips with a different tax system.

Still confused, arrived on the 1st of March and only started working 2 weeks ago (husband still no job), do we put a claim now for 2007/2008 or 2008/2009? If is for 2008/2009, how can you do it before the financial year.

Also do we need to declare your earning in the UK prior to our arrival?

Thanks.

You will receive from your employer a PAYG from the time you started working to 30/6/2009,in this country only. You then give that to your Accountant,along with anything else you can claim. There is a list on the tax site. Any other questions let me know