import tax?

Guest robertreynolds

Guest robertreynolds

looking at buying a little bit of electronic gadgetry, its $799 AU here, but I can get it for £200 from a UK retailer. So was thining of ordering it online and having it shipped here. Would I be liable for any sort of import tax and charges?

Or would it be worth having it shipped to an address in the UK and then forwarded on here sans packaging etc?

Cheers.

Guest robertreynolds

Well as it turns out amazon.co.uk wouldnt ship it here to me directly, I guess as my credit card is still reg'd in the UK. So I dont need to worry about import tax.

thats odd cos amazon have delivered a couple of things to me here and my credit card is still registered in the uk

as you suggested - why not get it delivered to someone in the uk first and have them send it over - you will be liable to import duty on the declared value (you can put as low value but then you're screwed on insurance if anything happens) if it gets picked up at customs which seems a random affair to me as i've had some get caught and some not !?!?!?