• Moneycorp currency Transfers
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 11 to 12 of 12
    Like Tree6Likes

    Thread: Tax return - costs?

    1. #11
      Quote Originally Posted by jo_marnes View Post
      Is that working months or months in the country? We arrived in March but didn't start work until April.... sorry for all the questions!
      Its months in the country, if you arrived in March you will be entitled to $2000 tax free allowance, you may also be entitled to a low income tax offset aswell. If I remember right you are on a temp visa like us and therefore not entitled to family tax benefit part B if thats right Mark should be entitled to a dependant tax offset aswell, these will be pro rata on the time you were here but every little helps. If he has bought any tools for his job or had any expenses for 'work related uniforms' he will be able to claim up to $300 without having kept receipts.
      From July keep all receipts for any neecessary work expenses and you will be able to claim them all. Also keep any reciepts to do with medical expenses as if you go over $1500 a year you can claim a tax offset of 20% on the excess.
      Personally I would recommend using a tax agentfor this year at least and finding out abit more about what are entitled to claim as there are loads of different rules and regulations. You can claim the cost of the tax agent and any travel expenses incurred to see them, in next years return.
      jo_marnes likes this.

    2. #12

      Join Date
      Sep 2008
      1423 times
      Quote Originally Posted by ozzieclare2be View Post
      what do you mean by allowance hun?
      You allownace is how much you can earn i the hyear before you should pay tax, lets say you have an allownace of $6k but you have not earnt the $6k but you have been paying tax, you will get all of the tax you have paid back...make sense?


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Copyright 2006 - 2015 Australia Migration Forums