Claiming child benefit in the UK

lorluc

If you are coming out here on a temp visa....are you still able to claim child benefit payments in the UK?

I'm thinking that as being on a temp visa, not entitled to claim Family assistance here as not permanent.....so maybe you are still entitled to claim in the UK as 'officially', you have left the UK on a temporary basis...

Guest kellyp

Officially I was told no, once you have been out of the UK for something like four weeks you are no longer entitled. I was on a temp visa and it's hard financially. That's not to say though that people are allways honest and tell the child benefit people they are leaving. It is my understanding that if you get caught out then you have to pay it back. I though it was better to be up front but each to their own.

Kelly

Guest guest569

I was claiming it until the father in law who was told to open old mail contacted them and told them i had left the country !!!:arghh: Yes i had to pay it all back.:(

Guest caoimhe
If you are coming out here on a temp visa....are you still able to claim child benefit payments in the UK?

I'm thinking that as being on a temp visa, not entitled to claim Family assistance here as not permanent.....so maybe you are still entitled to claim in the UK as 'officially', you have left the UK on a temporary basis...

When I rang to tell them I was leaving the country I was hoping the same as you so I worded it that I had a temporary visa to live in Oz, they asked how long it was for and when I told them it was 3 years she said that if I had only be going for 1 year I would have still been able to get it:arghh: God was I sorry I didn't know that before I opened my mouth.

This is child benefit and not tax credits

Guest cunnah10

Hi ... i was told that as we were going on a TEMP measure we could LEGALLY claim Child Benefit for 8 WEEKS after leaving the UK!!!

WE WERE ON A 475 (SIR)

Guest Trakki

I have told te child benefit agency 100s of times I have left the country permanently and they are stil sending me forms, as Graham said it is very tempting but I know I would get caught. I got a form from them about temporarily leaving the UK and it is if it is only for a year or less.

HTH