Banking - New arrival pack

Guest Guest75

Guest Guest75

I'd love to read your thoughts and suggestions on this.

After a good few chats with my local bank manageress I have suggested they should produce an information pack for new arrivals.

This is a local bank (Bank SA - I guess it is ok to mention their name Lisa?).

I have always been happy with this bank and find you are treated as a person .I'm always greeted by name in the bank and find all the staff to be friendly.I bank at the Morphett Vale branch.

The manageress and the bank have taken this suggestion on board wholeheartedly and they are in the process of producing this pack now.

I know that other banks do welcome new migrants and most are pleased with the service.I feel that this pack if done correctly can be invaluable.I know of only one bank that attends the expo's in the UK and they seem to have a monopoly - this might change if I can talk the bank into having an agent to mail out the info packs in the UK.

Now the bank is actually listening to me and seem to be taking the whole project very seriously.

They have come up with a few ideas themselves such as local info/bin days/public services and so on.So hopefully the pack will not be just promoting their services.

I have asked them to include a section explaining the banking system here in layman's terms and I think I've given them the differences.

We have been invited out to lunch to by the bank to discuss this further with the manageress and a big-wig from the city.

I'd love to hear and pass on any suggestion you have.

It looks like I get a meal out of it and migrants get another source of info.

:wink:

Guest dglamoore

The pack sounds like a fantastic idea :lol:

No problem at all mentioning the bank as you are using them and also recommending their services which is always useful to us in the uk.

Laymans terms would be great. I know when we sorted out Oz bank account out it seems a minefield of info from so many directions and we are not there yet :shock: To have them explain the different accounts, charges, mortgages etc in English is a great idea!

A few useful sites listed sounds good too, you are very organaised and it's a very clever idea.

Lisa :D

Hi Tyke

I used to work for an international student college and I made up packs for all the new arrivals of which I gave to them on arrival at the airport. It included local maps and booklets about life in South Australia, information on buses/trams/train timetables, where to buy whitegoods and touristy stuff. You could even add how to get their medicare, tax file number sorted out. A general contact list of telephone and internet service providers (useful websites such as this one), electricity and gas providers, what to do in an emergency, where and how to look for jobs, cars and accommodation.

A good idea. :)

Guest jen&ian

Hi Tyke,

The whole idea of getting set up financially in another country has my head in a spin. Your info pack idea is great, would it be available online so all us poor devils who are still waiting for our visas could access it from the UK and get a head start?

Jen & Ian

Guest donna T

Hi Tyke

This is a great idea - there is so much to think about when going through this process and I know I have spent far more time looking at houses and suburbs than thinking a bout the practicalities. :roll: Lets face it - the financials are rather important and an idiots guide in laymans terms would be really beneficial - thank you for taking the time to put it together

Donna

Guest Guest75

Well, the meeting went very well.

Mrs Tyke and I met up with our bank manageress and an executive from the bank.

They do seem really committed to producing a helpful information pack.I do know that this bank are people orientated - it showed in the meeting.

So something will happen and gain momentum.

I have asked them to be fair in their approach with people.

I know there are great differences in banking/mortgages and property here,this bank will take time to explain.

There may be certain incentives or pressies for new comers.

Also the odd BBQ for introductions at the bank near me so you might just meet us there :-)

The executive is going to report to the CEO of the bank tomorrow,I'm pleased they are taking it seriously.

So a good thing may happen,any feedback much appreciated.

Well Done Tyke, We are presently in Belair investigating the many areas involved in emigrating. Banking is a major difference to UK, where many things are free. It seems to me that most accounts involve a fee. I think it would be helpful if Medicare also put a pack in simple language to help new arrivals understand the medical system. We have ben to Aus many times, and my wife has to have blood tests done whilst she is here, but it seems that just when we thought we had it sussed, the rules are changed.

I have even asked questions at a Medicare office if we will qualify for Medicare benefits on our visa (when it arrives) Temporary Parent contributory, and neither the person behind the counter or her supervisor could give me a conclusive answer. (Hope you enjoyed the rains last week) it made us feel as if we were back home in an English Autumn.

Guest Guest75
hi

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm just starting to think about whether we should open an OZ bank account so any information would be appreciated.

Having an Aussie bank account is very handy.We opened one on a reccie trip here.

With the exchange rate being so good at the time we were selling anything loose and shipping the money over.

Guest dglamoore
hi

Sounds like a fantastic idea. I'm just starting to think about whether we should open an OZ bank account so any information would be appreciated.

We opened our account online with Westpac. Was so easy to set up - just faxed them a form and they set it all up and sent us the account details. We have even phoned them to set up phone and online banking so just have to activate when we arrive but have an account we can transfer those dollars into ready for our arrival.

Lisa :lol:

Guest emmylou

Hi

The info on banking is a great idea! I would be really interested to see the info pack so good luck. I'm coming out in April to have a look around and open an account ready for my BIG move in Aug/Sept.

Emma

Guest Guest75
Hi

The info on banking is a great idea! I would be really interested to see the info pack so good luck. I'm coming out in April to have a look around and open an account ready for my BIG move in Aug/Sept.

Emma

The bank seem very serious about it.Soon as anything is available I'll announce it here.

Would be very interested if this all comes off Russell.

Is BankSA the same as St George Bank? Their accounts I have looked at appear identical (apart from the bank name obviously :P )

My friends hubby is a manager for St George Bank in Berri so will certainly ask him if he has heard anything.

Hopefully you will get an update soon.

Lea

Guest Guest75
Would be very interested if this all comes off Russell.

Is BankSA the same as St George Bank? Their accounts I have looked at appear identical (apart from the bank name obviously :P )

My friends hubby is a manager for St George Bank in Berri so will certainly ask him if he has heard anything.

Hopefully you will get an update soon.

Lea

Hiya Lea.

St George does own BankSa but I think this is an initiative with BankSa only at the moment.I reckon that if it takes off then it will go into St George.