Take old or buy new??

Guest sean

Oooooooh, so many pros and cons with this one..........

Everyone is sure to have a different opinion.

Personally I'm glad I've shipped my stuff over as its lovely to think, "New life...new things" but once you tally up how much you need to buy, it can be one expensive shopping trip.

Judi x

Guest guest569

The houses are so much bigger over here as well. You will need to buy extra furniture to add to what you bring. Extra beds and an extra suite for the family room.

Guest jen&ian

We are not bringing any furniture.I think it depends how expensive your stuff is and how attatched to it you are. Ours is all cheap and cheerfull Ikea stuff alot of which is untreated pine and so can't be brought without being painted or varnished, the rest has been wrecked by the kids over the years :mad:so we've decided to treat ourselves when we get out there:cool:. It's a very personal choice- good luck with your decision making.

Jen:)

We didnt bring any furniture for the same reason as jen&ian, just laptops on plane and 45 boxes of personal stuff. Wasnt worth spending the money on a container as no decent furniture to bring, we bought new over here and I dont think it is expensive, in fact some stuff we bought in the boxes we wished we had left as it would have been cheaper to buy here.

Sandra

Thanks for those replys we never thought about the size of the houses so we will be taking that into consideration.Is it worth shipping over your car?

Hi Sandra

How did you send your boxes to Adelaide? We're not taking anything except we have scuba diving gear and teaching resources which I'd like to take and was wondering the cheapest way to take small amounts.

Can't wait to be in adelaide we arrive Aug 31st !!!!!!

Lisa

Guest dglamoore

We bought over a full 20ft container and still managed to spend about $20K on top for things we needed when we got our rental :o

The houses are bigger so you need extra furniture plus there are things you will need to keep you going until your stuff arrives. Glad we shipped so much over though as felt more at home when our things got here :)

Lisa:cool:

Guest dale_jo@
Just wondering if it is better to sell up everything and buy new household goods over in adelaide or to ship our things over?

I Think It would be a good idea to bring personal items to make you feel at home, the furniture over here is quite affordable so to save cost of a container, buy things here!!

A very personal thing though!!

Guest Guest75

We brought a 20ft container.

We had thinned out our belongings as we had a lot of antiques and were not sure if they would fit in here.

We did break things down by order of necessity.

Heirlooms,photographs,anything with great memories.

Fortunately we had bought on one of our reccie trips and Mrs Tyke knew exactly where everything was going to go:D

We have thinned out a lot of original stuff in the 7 years we have been here.

Last year after my Mum passed away we had even more English furniture in the house.

Mum left me some lovely furniture that has fit straight into our formal lounge.