Stamp duty

ladycasper

Hi Ladycaper

What is it you are looking to purchase?

If you are referring to the First Home Owner Grant then as Jacqui says you would not be entitled to this as a temporary resident, however if you gained PR within 12 months you may get it backdated.

However if you are referring to tax deductions on stamp duty for investment purposes then temporary resident or permanent resident status is not the issue, that would depend on your tax residency status.

Andy

Guest guest3462

We are here on a 457 visa and we weren't entitled to anything back but we built not bought so i'm unsure i there is a different way of calculating things. Fingers crossed for you that you have better luck than us

xxxxx

We are here on a 457 visa and we weren't entitled to anything back but we built not bought so i'm unsure i there is a different way of calculating things. Fingers crossed for you that you have better luck than us

xxxxx

I spoke to revenue SA regarding the above last week. We are here on 457 visas also, but if you obtain PR witin 12 months from your date of completion you are entitled to claim your first time builders grant backdated.

Guest guest3462

:notworthy::notworthy:Ooooh Shaun, thanks for that!! We were told that we couldn't have owt, but we will hopefully have our PR by March/April which will be less than a year from completion, so i'll definately look into that!

Thanks again

JC xx

Guest Aussie pat

If you're talking about houses, just like in the UK, if you buy a house to live in, you pay stamp duty. Australian citizens born here pay stamp duty, just like everybody else, including people on PR visas. Are you thinking of a special circumstance which allows you to claim it back?

I spoke to revenue SA regarding the above last week. We are here on 457 visas also, but if you obtain PR witin 12 months from your date of completion you are entitled to claim your first time builders grant backdated.

Hi Shaun

I would double check this piece of information because as far I am aware it is within 12 months of the date of the contract of sale for already constructed houses and 12 months from the date of the building contract for new builds for a temp resident to have the FHOG backdated.

Below is taken from Revenue SA website so I am wondering if somebody there has misinterpreted things and meant moving in to the home 12 months after completion for FHOG eligibility as opposed to backdating the payment for temps.

For eligible transactions entered into on or after 1 January 2005, applicants must occupy the home purchased or built, as their principal place of residence for a continuous period of at least 6 months commencing within 12 months after completion of the eligible transaction.

I would be very interested to find out if that is the case as I have spokent to Revenue SA a few times myself about this situation and the information that has been given every time is 12 months from the date of contract.

Great news for people building on temp resident visas otherwise if PR is possible within that time frame.

Andy

Guest ben&sharon

Hiya,

Just finished all our paperwork for our FHOG application, and it's the contract date they're interested in; not the settlement date (although you do need to provide a Confirmation of Settlement form with your application).

We're on PR, so can't comment on the provisional visa situation....

Sharon.

Hiya,

Just finished all our paperwork for our FHOG application, and it's the contract date they're interested in; not the settlement date (although you do need to provide a Confirmation of Settlement form with your application).

We're on PR, so can't comment on the provisional visa situation....

Sharon.

Sharon,

Thats correct, as yours was an established house already. I have spoken to revenue SA 3 times now because of discussions on this forum, and it was confirmed that it is 12 months from the final date of completion. This has something to do with some houses now taking longer than 12 months from date of contract. Thats was why i highlighted it in red. I wre-read the 12 month period somewhere last week, called revenue SA and was told date of contract, wen i said i thought it was date of completion as i was previously told, they went back and checked, and confirmed that the 12 month period is from date of completion.

Hi

I have spoken to Revenue SA twice this morning regarding this just to satisfy myself as I have quite a few clients that this could impact on. Funnily enough I have been given 2 different answers, one saying that it is date of contract for new builds and one saying that it is the completion date.

Interestingly the second person that said date of completion for new build also stated that it is date of settlement for established!

Therefore I have emailed Revenue SA and asked for the correct information to be confirmed in writing.

One thing that they all agree on is the amount that you would be entitled too if you were able to obtain permanent residence within the allowable backdated timescale which is the amount of the FHOG and bonus grants etc that was available on the date you signed either the contract of sale if established or the building contract if a new build.

As soon as I get the information clarified in writing I will post it on here.

Hi

I have spoken to Revenue SA twice this morning regarding this just to satisfy myself as I have quite a few clients that this could impact on. Funnily enough I have been given 2 different answers, one saying that it is date of contract for new builds and one saying that it is the completion date.

Interestingly the second person that said date of completion for new build also stated that it is date of settlement for established!

Therefore I have emailed Revenue SA and asked for the correct information to be confirmed in writing.

One thing that they all agree on is the amount that you would be entitled too if you were able to obtain permanent residence within the allowable backdated timescale which is the amount of the FHOG and bonus grants etc that was available on the date you signed either the contract of sale if established or the building contract if a new build.

As soon as I get the information clarified in writing I will post it on here.

Hi

Very interested to know what you find out as this could be crucial to us. I also seem to remember that someone posted about having been allowed the backdated FHOG because their PR application was taking a long time and this was not their fault as they had put it in in plenty of time. I wonder if anyone has received it after the deadline and in what circumstances?

I am prepared to camp outside the doors of DIMIA hassling them to push our PR through as it's a lot of money that after two years of nothing we could well do with.. ho hum:huh:

Guest nishman

For those that are building it's worth noting (assuming things haven't changed), but we only got the FHOG when the slab was poured (i.e. when construction actually started).

Back on thread... For us, inbetween signing contracts and the slab being poured the grant was doubled (to $14k), but the FHOG we received was based on the date of the signed contract.