Import Tax?

Guest thekings

Guest thekings

Have read on here about declaring goods being transported over that is under 12 months old and having to pay import tax on them. With Christmas coming up I was a little concerned about declaring our presents next year when we come over along with other things.

Anyone know the rules regarding this??

Are some things exempt?

Do you have to declare gifts?

Thanks in advance to the tax whizzes :notworthy:

Guest cafehag

Just declared a couple of pairs of jeans and shoes. It was never questioned and there was no customs bill. In the end I had also four brand new car tyres in my container. AQIS inspected them (for soil, seeds etc) but Customs showed no interested.

I would guess that most people, like me, spent the year before moving getting rid of things rather than buying new goods.

Guest WoodMartin
Just declared a couple of pairs of jeans and shoes. It was never questioned and there was no customs bill. .... I would guess that most people, like me, spent the year before moving getting rid of things rather than buying new goods.

Exactly the same for us - declared some stuff but we did not get the expected bill. Never discovered why.

Not sure on the gift thing - there must be tons of parcels coming into the country with gifts in at this time of year, and I don't ever recall paying tax when sending into or receiving into Oz in the past. Interested to hear if someone has the reason though!

Ali

Duties vary from 0% to over 60%, it depends on what the item(s) is(are). It also depends how much you bring in, I think $1000 worth is OK. If customs decide to open your container and inspect everything then you could have a lot to pay, however they don't touch most of them.

So there is no answer to your question, if you are worried about the cost that 'could' be high, don't bring anything. If you don't declare and things are found, you could be fined many many thousands of $. It's your choice ultimately.

Guest thekings

Think I would rather declare items if advised by the removal company, am already going to pay import tax on a motorbike anyway. Would rather pay up than face a fine. I think as long as I'm honest then there shouldn't be any nasty surprises. Could always put the money aside for it, then if they want it then its there, if not then who's up for a free bbq and grog?? :goofy::biglaugh:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kfoley0681

hi we were told that items declared as newly purchased would be charged tax so out of wrapper for it all! you do get charged import tax on motor vechiles and then you pay tax on them again when registering them! put presents sent by post as long as they are declared gift you dont get taxed!

Guest guest3462

We brought all our kids brand new xmas presents, some were still wrapped up as they were given on the day the container left. We also brought new towels, bedding, shelves etc and were advised to just remove everything from their original wrappers and it would be fine; and were never charged. In fact, we forgot about the wrapped presents for most of the year and they have them to open this christmas....how tight are we!!!