Least amount of money you can get away with?

niknjas

Hi

Just wondered what is the least amount of money you would recommend taking.

Reason is spoke to Moneycorp today and they were saying rate was 1.74 (completely rubbish being v polite).

Don't want to exchange too much at rubbish rate but enough to live on as hoping jobs lined up pay off immediately. What would you reccomend as a start off?

Cheers

Niki

Guest mayjess

The least amount of money I will have because havent sold house,and only have money for flights,dog & shipping will be 10,000 pounds by borrowing! not ideal but needs must, You have to buy what you need- not what you want & hope to gain employment pretty damn fast as the money slips through your fingers so easily at 1st.

Bluekipper

Hey,

We landed here with 12000GBP....we had a cheap rental with all bills included....but we still went through quick.

I had a job within 2 weeks.....

The real spending started when we got our long term rental for bonds, all furniture and just things you forget about (cork screws!!)

Bring as much as you can...

Dan

Guest guest3462

yes we spent about $20,000 when we first arrived, that included securing a rental ($1000 bond and first mth rent up front) 2 cars we spent $8000 on this 2nd hand cars are very expensive here. We also had to buy all our furniture (we brought nothing in the shipping and deeply regret that) about $9000 on the cheap but there is an ikea and a few of the stores are competitive for white goods. The rest went on living as Rich didn't start work for the first 3 weeks.

I would definately pack as much into your container as you can as the money spent there is money saved here. Put loads of bedding into your container as it is really expensive here. I mean winter quilts and blankets too as it does get really cold in winter and we got quite a shock with that.

JC xxx

yes we spent about $20,000 when we first arrived, that included securing a rental ($1000 bond and first mth rent up front) 2 cars we spent $8000 on this 2nd hand cars are very expensive here. We also had to buy all our furniture (we brought nothing in the shipping and deeply regret that) about $9000 on the cheap but there is an ikea and a few of the stores are competitive for white goods. The rest went on living as Rich didn't start work for the first 3 weeks.

I would definately pack as much into your container as you can as the money spent there is money saved here. Put loads of bedding into your container as it is really expensive here. I mean winter quilts and blankets too as it does get really cold in winter and we got quite a shock with that.

JC xxx

I totally agreed with bring everything. Its not juts they money, its the familiarity of your own things which is nice and also the time spent shopping when its a job we all need. I also wish I had not given my knee high boots away and winter coats. I would also look into costing about bringing your own cars as we lost a lot selling the uk ones and then bought new here cos we didnt want a second hand car con merchant selling us a pile of trouble.

Good Luck :wubclub: Lyn

Guest k8bug79

Whether we are going about this the right way or not is yet to be seen. But we are taking all the start uppcosts, ie rental, bond and living expenses for 3 months (thanfully my hubby is a citizen so e have figured that even if we are unlucky enough not to secure at leats one job in that time then we can get some assitance) we are hoping to set ourselves up with the real basics from gumtree and freecycle. I worked out that beds, chairs, washing machine, etc for about £2500 and most of it was in great condition. Ok we may lack some storage etc to start but a few months won't hurt.

Can I just check when people say £10K , £12K etc does that include your flights or after. We are aiming for £10K to cover all expenses. But we live on a low wage here so apart form the car out there we have low expectations

Guest guest3462

We have a load of stuff at our parents houses as we let our house fully furnished in the UK but have now sold it. We are going on holiday to the UK in June and we are doing a 2nd shipping. Obviously we won't bring the big stuff, but we really miss the little touches of home like pictures, mirrors cushions and stuff.

Guest guest3462
Whether we are going about this the right way or not is yet to be seen. But we are taking all the start uppcosts, ie rental, bond and living expenses for 3 months (thanfully my hubby is a citizen so e have figured that even if we are unlucky enough not to secure at leats one job in that time then we can get some assitance) we are hoping to set ourselves up with the real basics from gumtree and freecycle. I worked out that beds, chairs, washing machine, etc for about £2500 and most of it was in great condition. Ok we may lack some storage etc to start but a few months won't hurt.

Can I just check when people say £10K , £12K etc does that include your flights or after. We are aiming for £10K to cover all expenses. But we live on a low wage here so apart form the car out there we have low expectations

Hi that didn't include flights or initial car hire when we first arrived. We managed well for he first weeks and didn't do without anything we wanted really, but definately plan ahead while you still can. Every little helps as they say....

Good luck

JC xxx

Thanks for all your posts guys. Reading them I have defiantely underestimated the amount we should bring - not a problem just revise it. We are waiting for the sale of my house to go through which was supposed to happen before Xmas but the buyers mortgage lender is being a pain in the proverbial:mad:.

Leaving our stuff in Jasons' house and shipping and renting when he gets a job. Luckily M-I-L is going to sort a lot of stuff stuff for us. Got everything already set up behind the scenes to make things easier for her.

I've packed some pictures and the kids familiar stuff to go on the plane with us so at least they have soem of their stuff. The only essential for us really that I have packed is the corkscrew / bottle opener and tin opener. Looks like beans and stubbies for us:biglaugh:.

See you in sunny Oz in a couple of weeks, not the white blanket of snow we have here.

Niki

Thanks for all your posts guys. Reading them I have defiantely underestimated the amount we should bring - not a problem just revise it. We are waiting for the sale of my house to go through which was supposed to happen before Xmas but the buyers mortgage lender is being a pain in the proverbial:mad:.

Leaving our stuff in Jasons' house and shipping and renting when he gets a job. Luckily M-I-L is going to sort a lot of stuff stuff for us. Got everything already set up behind the scenes to make things easier for her.

I've packed some pictures and the kids familiar stuff to go on the plane with us so at least they have soem of their stuff. The only essential for us really that I have packed is the corkscrew / bottle opener and tin opener. Looks like beans and stubbies for us:biglaugh:.

See you in sunny Oz in a couple of weeks, not the white blanket of snow we have here.

Niki

We landed @ ADL with around $12,000 4 kids and loadsa cases, we had a furnished rental sorted for 2 weeks, and that was it.

No job, no car, no nothing....scary

and here we are nearly 2 years in and loving it !!!!

HG

Guest Lisado

Hi there

We came with $7000. We had to buy super cheap second hand car (Shaggy he is fondly known as) and a dream. We had to pay the bond of $1800 and first months rent and to be honest were bricking it. Then I managed to secure a job ASAP and this tied us over until hubby got a job as well - I cant tell you the sleepless nights we had but it is possible to come with next to nowt - we just thought "what the hell". We havent sold our house in UK - we are renting and were just hoping to live on the difference.

Now we in a house 2 streets from the beach - I have 2 jobs (my choice) and hubby has fab full time one - we both in jobs we did in the UK and we love them. We spend our evenings on beach and life is better than ever

Take the gamble - its worth it

and the best bit of advice bring everything - even the car and car chairs - wish we had

Lisa

Hi there

We came with $7000. We had to buy super cheap second hand car (Shaggy he is fondly known as) and a dream. We had to pay the bond of $1800 and first months rent and to be honest were bricking it. Then I managed to secure a job ASAP and this tied us over until hubby got a job as well - I cant tell you the sleepless nights we had but it is possible to come with next to nowt - we just thought "what the hell". We havent sold our house in UK - we are renting and were just hoping to live on the difference.

Now we in a house 2 streets from the beach - I have 2 jobs (my choice) and hubby has fab full time one - we both in jobs we did in the UK and we love them. We spend our evenings on beach and life is better than ever

and the best bit of advice bring everything - even the car and car chairs - wish we had

Lisa

Love it thats the spirit....good to see you back on the Forum Lisa....:wubclub:

HG

Guest kangomik
PS. - we were prepared to do any jobs - no matter what - I think an open mind and do what needs to be done to make ends meet and you'll be fine

Kismet

Well said. Holding out for just the right thing, or having the "I'm not doing that" attitude will not help. Get stuck in smile, meet people and relax.

I too wish we had brought absolutely everything! I would have preffered to skip it here rather than in the UK.

Guest Lisado

Hey HG - yeps back for now - feel like I need to tell the bods in UK yes its hard but dont worry - if its meant to be it is BUT you must as said have open mind and work - the aussies do for this amazing lifestyle - we must too - its not just handed on a plate xx

But defos bring everything you can - even the xmas tree - grrrr never listen to OH again :err:

and that drink?

Guest kangomik

LOL i forced the Mrs to bring the Xmas tree.......... they where on sale over the weekend and beginning of the week, very cheap.

I am going to rig solar lights up for the indoor one next year i think!

Thanks

That was about what we were looking to transfer at the moment to be honest. Made decison today that going to take Phoebe's monstrosity but not Charlie's car seat. Thought nearly seven and will get another booster and leave his with sister in law. That means we have two booster seats with her and that means when we visit in a couple of years time, Phoebe will bel able to use that. Not bringing car as too expensive and van was company one. Apart from that I have packed absolutely everything. Should be the only thing we need to buy is new single bed for Phoeb and wardrobes or chest of drawers for kids if no built ins. Was Argos rubbish and won't stand up to moving.

We know that it is not going to be easy and is going to be a struggle at first but main reason for doing this apart from no jobs here was for better standard of life for all of us and for the kids to actually spend some time with J instead of him coming in and them just about going to bed. We're prepared to work hard, cinch the belts in, get on with it and make friends.

Niki

Lisa

Don't underestimate the treasure trove that is "hard waste collection day" here in Adelaide too! Take a drive round some of the posher areas of town on hard waste day, and it's amazing what you can pick up! Should be able to get a couple of chests of drawers for your kids and all sorts of other gems if you're lucky!

At the Adelaide Festival the last couple of years, they have had a "Hard Waste Cafe" set up in the parklands, completely furnished with sofas and chairs and bits of carpet that have all been collected from the roadsides for free in this way!

Garage sales are another good source.