How much money to take?

Guest veeba

Hi,

Me and my partner will be migrating to south australia this feb 2010.

We will be taking only £5k with us.

SA have provided us with the on arrival accommodation which is fully furnished for 3 months. rent to be $250 a week.

Do you think this amount would be ok to take with us?

Thank you

Hi,

Me and my partner will be migrating to south australia this feb 2010.

We will be taking only £5k with us.

SA have provided us with the on arrival accommodation which is fully furnished for 3 months. rent to be $250 a week.

Do you think this amount would be ok to take with us?

Thank you

Have you got jobs?

No we don't have jobs to go to. I am a little worried this.

We are going on the 475 visa, will we be able to get a credit card?

No i do not think you will get a credit card untill you get a job, have you not got a uk one, if so keep this and use it.

5k is equal to 8.5 k $ at the mo, so after your rent for 3 months you would have 5.5k left factor in around £750 a month for grocery's you will have around 3k left.

This will leave you with 1k a month for everything else such as transport etc

Peoplee have done it on less but it will be extremly tight, and if you do not get any employment within 3 months you will have no money left.

Sorry if this sounds negative just trying to paint the picture, good luck though it can be done :)

Guest MarkIngram

5k is a small amount.....we too came out on a 475 (although we have 2 kids)...we've spent easily 15k in the first 3 months, but that's bonds on houses, rent, food, cars (2 of them)...and you'll need one to get around and for working....public transport is pretty good but you may find it no good for any work you get. Then there's all the associated costs of running a car - rego, petrol, licenses etc....and loads of other things that we hadn't even thought of ourselves but ended up needing - especially if you are getting all your furniture shipped out and it is running late.

You certainly won't be able to get a credit card out here without a job.

Come out with your 5k to start with and move over more money if and when you need it in chunks.

If you don't have jobs lined up....one MAJOR piece of advice...when you get here....do the papers, internet etc....but 80% of available jobs are NOT advertised anywhere....you get them by knocking on the door or phoning and selling yourself....it's how it works out here. If you don't ask...you certainly don't get....having said that...there are jobs out there...I got mine in first 3 weeks.

Keep a positive and open mind and you'll be fine...it's HARD HARD work....but the sunshine makes it all a little sweeter!

Guest kangomik

you will struggle to get credit and many other things untill you have a job.

You can buy pay as you go phones, and anything else with cash, but unless you have money in the bank here in SA you will struggle with credit.

Factor in Food, setting up costs ( from bedding to plates etc) then the length of time without a job. The costs and travel involved in finding a job. Then the costs for work before you get paid.

They all add up very quickly.

There is work here, and you will have to knock on doors, some are lucky and knock on a few, some spend a long time knocking.

All the best for your future adventure

Guest guest3462

We spent close to $20,000 in the first 3 months on rent, food, cars, furniture etc. You have to be prepared to stick rigidly to a budget until you get turned around. Look on here or gumtree for furniture and white goods for sale. We have some lovely things for a fraction of the price and be prepared for a shock in the supermarket....its definately not Asda!!! No rollbacks of bogof's here!

Second hand cars hold their value very well in oz and are particularly expensve, so a travel card may be a good option for you at first. Try ozzie car rentals on Brightoon Road though. They hire cars very cheaply (they are sometimes old bangers, but reliable and the people who run it are friendly.)

Also jobs wise make sure you sell yourselves and get your face in there at every available opportunity. You will need your first 3 months to decide which suburb you want to settle in and you will hae to bear in mind that if your job is in the city and you have no car somewhere like Aldinga may be unsuitable due to minimal transport links.

I wish you all the very best in your move

Julia x