financial help for families

Willber

Hi all! My family and I are due to arrive in Adelaide in July this year and we are currently investigating what our financial situation could be when we arrive. We currently both work full time and have the luxury of family to look after our pre school child, and to collect our school aged child from school etc, but in Adelaide we won't have family to help us.:sad: We are planning on my husband finding full time employment (fingers crossed) and hopefully I'll be lucky enough to find part time work. If I was unable to find part time work, or if the sums do not add up regarding my income and child care fees, what benefits would we be able to us? :confused: It does sound awful, by all means I do not want to move to Adelaide with the intension of "sponging" as I have always been a full time employment, but until my pre school child hits school age, benefits maybe something we will have to consider.

We have a 176 permanent resident’s visa.

Any advice is appreciated :)

Guest mayjess

Hi you are best going onto the centre link website, there are different benefits you may be entitled to such as rent assistance, child tax benefit etc oh and out of school care.

Mayjess

Hi all! My family and I are due to arrive in Adelaide in July this year and we are currently investigating what our financial situation could be when we arrive. We currently both work full time and have the luxury of family to look after our pre school child, and to collect our school aged child from school etc, but in Adelaide we won't have family to help us.:sad: We are planning on my husband finding full time employment (fingers crossed) and hopefully I'll be lucky enough to find part time work. If I was unable to find part time work, or if the sums do not add up regarding my income and child care fees, what benefits would we be able to us? :confused: It does sound awful, by all means I do not want to move to Adelaide with the intension of "sponging" as I have always been a full time employment, but until my pre school child hits school age, benefits maybe something we will have to consider.

We have a 176 permanent resident’s visa.

Any advice is appreciated :)

As mayjess says

http://www.centrelink.gov.au/

There are online calculators that you can use to work out entitlements.

Cooler

Guest Im Here

Hi if you rent you will most likely get rent assistance. Child benifit is means tested so it depends on how much you both earn as to how much you get. You Won't get unemplyoment benifit as there is a 2 year waiting period. The only way you would get unemployment is under unusual certain circumstances. I don't know about help towards child care costs as i have never had to claim this.

Guest nishman

Best advise for when you get here is to goto centrelink and ask them what you will be entitled to. We never expected to be able to get rental assistance until we sorted out the familiy benefit with them... If you don't ask, you won't get :)

BTW - looking at your profile I see you're an engineer - what breed, and field are you in? I'm in engineering myself and it's always good to know if there's someone on the way over that may fit any vacancies here...

Plenty of help if you are on a permanent resident visa.

As others have mentioned...Rent Assistance and Family Assistance. But of course they are dependant on your earnings.

Also, if you use Child Care, you will be entitled to Child Care Benefit. Again, this is earnings related. But bascially, the government pay a portion of your child care costs. This applies to pre-school care and school age children who use school club facilities.

Also...either quarterly or yearly, you can claim 50% of your 'out of pocket' child care expenses...i.e. what you have paid after benefit.

Family assistance is paid fortnightly or you can claim a lump sum at the end of the financial year. Also...once tax etc has been reconciled, you may be entitled to a top up supplement. The government keep back a few hundred dollars, so that if you have been overpaid family assistance, they can take it out of this pot. If not, then they pay it to you.

It is important to ensure you estimate your income correctly. If unsure, always best to over estimate..

Hi Nishman

I trained as a Mechanical engineer (basic stuff) but ended up a Fitter/Turner in heavy industrial and material handling equipment. Also can do hydraulics, fabrication and pneumatics, the job i do at the moment involves doing everything, also do installation and de-commissioning of plants and factories. How about you?

Andrew

Guest k8bug79

We too have been looking at the centrelink website. I work pt in the UK and hubby ft as here we are only £10 better off a week by me working ft plus hubby had to turn down a payrise becasue we were actualy worse off!!! But over there (assuming I have filled the calculator in right) he will be earning more than he would be here and we would still get help, in fact a higher percentage of childcare paid. plus I believe on top of what they quote you, you can claim a percentage of what is remaining. So ie if they paid 85% of child care and you paid 15% there is a benefit to reduce that 15% further. BUt I am only going on my research here and I am not living there yet so if I am wrong please feel free to correct me as I don't want to be under a false impression