Least amount of money you have gone with?

Guest mayjess

Guest mayjess

Sorry if been asked before, but whats the least amount of money ppl have emmigrated with? Also with no job lined up? and managed ok?

We should have about $20,000 after flights etc paid for,and I know how fast it goes, but think its do able.

Mayjess

weve booked our flights 4 june as yet have no cash but both workin hard here an wot we have in june we have! hopfully gona b $20,000 and we re gona be ok coz its wot we both want!

i know its worrying but we have to try this!

Guest mayjess

Hi Clare, yep thats my attitude, you going with kids aswell? mine are 14 & 19, so hopefully the 19 yr old will contribute to the bills etc when she gets herself a job!

Mayjess

Guest mayjess

Well theres a question, we`re still deciding wether to sell house at a loss & loose the 25 grand we spent on it in 2007 or rent it out! ideally want to be in Adelaide by March, BTW its a great place for kids, mine were 10 & 15 when we lived there, they cant wait to get bk over

Mayjess

well i know how that feels had our on the market 4 2 years and thought about renting it out several times even had a agency round is a tuff 1 we made a big loss hence why we r now livin with my m&d!!!! good luck with ur decision im sure itl b the right 1 x

Guest Guest75

Personally I would say "As much as you can bring!"

You also need to bring a certain attitude as well - on a limited budget it will be borrow / beg and make do and mend.

The first few months make you feel as you are haemorrhaging money and it can be very tough.

Plan for the odd emergency as well.:)

Hope my little bit of negativity prepares folk for those first few months - after that it does get easier.

Some of the more settled posters in this forum came with lo-wish funds but are sailing ahead now!:notworthy::notworthy:

we came over with only £4500 but a good exchange rate and I was starting work 2 weeks after getting here. I wouldn't say we were extra careful about what we spent but didn't go mad. I got paid 2 weeks after starting work so that money lasted us 4 weeks in total. We had 4 children, we had paid for the short term rental before hand but then still had to pay for another short term as we hadn't secured a long term in time. We would have loved to have come out with more but you have to do what you do. No way would we have done it if I did not have a job to go to.

Guest kangomik

research and plan guys, specially if you are on a limited budget and thats all the cash you have. Exchange rate is crap things will seem expensive, apply for as many jobs as you can while still in the UK

http://www.alljobs.com.au and give the expected arrival date on the covering letter.

Tyke's right, you need the right attitude and it can be done. You know your backs up against the wall so come out smiling and hit the deck running.

Guest The Pickles
Personally I would say "As much as you can bring!"

You also need to bring a certain attitude as well - on a limited budget it will be borrow / beg and make do and mend.

The first few months make you feel as you are haemorrhaging money and it can be very tough.

Plan for the odd emergency as well.:)

Hope my little bit of negativity prepares folk for those first few months - after that it does get easier.

Some of the more settled posters in this forum came with lo-wish funds but are sailing ahead now!:notworthy::notworthy:

I agree with Tyke, we came over with a fair bit of money that my parents lent us and had paid for a short term rental up front but my husband didn't get a job for 4 months and I've just been temping for the 4 months out of 6 months that we've been here.

Neither of us have had a job at the same time yet. We also paid 6 months rent in advance to secure a house we really wanted, sure, that's probably rare but it's worth offering if you don't want to lose the property you really want. Remember that on a temporary visa you don't get any benefits so you will need to have enough money to live for what could possibly be several months or you could be lucky and get jobs straight away. We don't have a car yet but we live a minute away from the tram and we don't eat out which is something I'm desperate to do but lots of things are free here, a walk on the beach is good for the soul and doesn't cost a cent.

I also don't want to be negative but we've been there (still are) and Tyke is right, money just seems to be constantly paid out in the first few months. Definitely have some emergency money stashed away... major dental work for instance!

Wishing you luck in your big move!

Marilyn

Guest mayjess

Thanks guys for all feedback I really appreciate it.

I know the money goes fast, but I also know where I can save money, this being our 2nd go at living in Adelaide I will have to keep to a very tight budget, as far as jobs are concerened we will take ANYTHING to start with, we have lots of good contacts, some from PIA, so thanks for that you know who you are! plus with regards to my house, looks like I may have twisted my big sisters arm to rent it offa me for a few years! still working on it, so wish me luck with that,

I agree with Tyke sooooo much, your attitude/personality will see you through if its the right one.

Mayjess

Guest cosmonik

Hi Everyone

Not posted anything on here for a while but i do keep checking the threads.

I'm coming out alone at the end of march, really excited now but sllightly worried about money.

I'm selling my flat which should complete by end of this month then i'm gonna stay with a friend for 6 weeks or so to save a bit of cash.

I've taken a real knock on my sale price as property market still up the creek :arghh: luckily tho my buyer is a cash buyer with no mortgage so got nothing holding her up.

I've worked out that after the mortgage settlement, estate agent fees, solicitors, shipping of persoanl items and flights, loan and cc pay off then i'll have just under 5k to bring with me.

I will be starting my new job 10 days after getting there so will be paid 2 weeks later but only on a very basic wage for first 12 weeks so hoping that what i bring will last me.

As long as i can get a small runaround and pay for first months rent and sort out my medicare then i know i'll be fine, this is so a much dreamed about move that i'll do whatever it takes to make it work.

Love this site for all the positive comments and support everyone offers:jiggy:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest trishandpete

Hi all

some of you have mentioned that you have a job already secured when you get to Adelaide. Please could you tell me how this was arranged and how we might ty to secure a job prior to leaving?

Guest trishandpete
We came with alot less than you guys are coming with and I agree with the others bring as much as you possibly can.

Kris

Hi Liz an Kris

I was looking at Genelg as a possible ara to live would you reccomend it?

Tricia

Guest LEE & DONNA
Hi Liz an Kris

I was looking at Genelg as a possible ara to live would you reccomend it?

Tricia

Glenelg is one of if not the most expensive areas to live in Adelaide, if you have plenty of money behind you, you will be fine.:)

Guest Mrs Brentus

It's very do able.

Try to get one decent car between you, it will be $2-$3k for your deposits for renting etc. Get the advertiser on a Sat morning and go and look at buying 2nd hand furniture, you can get some real bargains that are like brand new (my friend did this and got some great stuff).