whats your average monthly household income??

Guest Tanya

Guest Tanya

ok, you don't nee to be exact and don't have to state exactly how much you earn but would just like an idea of how much an average family brings home and how much roughly is paid out each month for mortgage, bills etc. also, do you and your partner both have to work full-time, part-time or not at all etc in order to survive?

just want an idea of the cost of living over there I guess

This is bit a personal question thats some people may shy away from.

Some people over here are on $100k a year and cnt settle/survive/struggle afford to live.

Some guys are on $50k love it, life ius great and they make the most of what they have got.

You cut your cloth accordingly do some checks there are sites available that detail the award rate for particular jobs/skills.

Its not like the Wetlands where they have a flat minimum wage, each job has set rates but alot of them pay over the award rate.

Also you must check out the areas where you want to live rent/purchase.

realestate.com has a good range of property.

I hope this helps somewhat.

Do not be offended if poeple dnt let you know their wage details or if it turns nasty, we will watch this thread closely and monitor it.

Hg

Guest calamitycaz

When I was offered a nursing job 4 years ago it was $55000 per annum basic. At the time the exchange rate $ to £ was over 2 dollars per pound, so equated as equal to my UK wage at the time. If you work it out at todays exchange rate it appears a much more attractive proposition, but you have to remember to think purely in $ and not fall into the Brit/Aus conversion trap. I'm pretty sure without being there and living the life it would be difficult to work out where your money will go - I just know that when we finally leave for Adelaide in December as long as my working conditions are good, friendships are trusworthy, and bills can be paid then life will be ok :)

Good luck getting any info

Caz x

Guest MarkIngram

Spot on HEAPS....too many considerations here to give an answer.

Since we've moved over things have been a little difficult financially to start with and we spent more than we thought we'd need to to get ourselves set up. We've accepted that this is going to be the case for a year or two to start with, but hopefully once my wife (Zoe) starts getting more web design stuff to do from home we'll be much better off than we were in the UK.

Having said that, already we've noticed a massive difference in our lives. Because I no longer work 12-15hrs a day plus the odd weekend...I'm a much more chilled out and relaxed...I have more time with the kids, and can do much more...I've even started playing football again, something which I never had time for over the past 10yrs or so.

I was asked the other day if I would ever go back to the UK....well, I thought about this for about a nano-second - not a chance...I can't wait to be able to put in for our perm residency and then get citizenship further down the line....the thought of being made to go back and live in the UK would depress me beyond belief.

So Tanya - do your research thoroughly, look at all the options and keep an open mind. One thing for sure is that no matter how much money you have, settling in is not easy, it takes energy, effort and hard work...but if you're prepared for that then you'll be fine and you'll soon get into the swing of life in SA.

Right...9.53am...22degrees...it might be a little cloudy, but I think a walk on the beach is called for.

Good Luck

It varies so much and as Heaps says, very dependent on how you spend/budget. I'm often surprised to hear people talk about how hard it is here financially. That being said, we have a low mortgage, both have average to above average incomes, and are good at saving - hubs is thrifty as and I've learned to be too - put 1/3 of every pay check into savings, pay bills with 1/3 and live off the rest/buy extras when needed.

Guest Tanya

reading back, I guess the title was a bit personal but felt I'd explained myself better in my first post.....hopefully haven't offended people and apologies if I have! anyway, thanks for your replies, they have been helpful. Just want to get into my head an idea of how much life will change and prepare ourselves....we're coming over no matter what :) xx

Guest cornish Busdriver

Gday.

Heres a rough rundown but remember it just me, missus and 2 dogs and NO-KIDS.

We on avererage pull in between 7k to 7.5k per month between us.

$2444 pm on mortgage but paid weekly $611 so we pay less intrest plus and extra $300 pm lumpsum and this has decreased are mortgage down to 16 years (mortgage 400k).

$1200 pm on shopping.

$600 pm on petrol ($400 my car, $200 missus)

$300 pm put back for bills..

We have on average between $2k - 3k left at the end of each month which we either save or treat ourselves and waste lol lol lol.

Guest Tanya
Gday.

Heres a rough rundown but remember it just me, missus and 2 dogs and NO-KIDS.

We on avererage pull in between 7k to 7.5k per month between us.

$2444 pm on mortgage but paid weekly $611 so we pay less intrest plus and extra $300 pm lumpsum and this has decreased are mortgage down to 16 years (mortgage 400k).

$1200 pm on shopping.

$600 pm on petrol ($400 my car, $200 missus)

$300 pm put back for bills..

We have on average between $2k - 3k left at the end of each month which we either save or treat ourselves and waste lol lol lol.

I really really appreciate that information.....maks things a lot clearer, thanks Matt :D

Guest rightruccus

Okay, here's another look into costs.

One earner, married and one kid.

I can tell you from our experience *exact* costs in relation to our lifestyle which might give a different perspective. Reason being, every bill, payment, purchase, is logged ( sad i know, but the only way to get accurate figures)

Anyway, Our average monthly outgoings are around $3000, this includes everything as stated above.

The months can vary from $2200-$2800 but some are considerably higher, due to purchasing one off things like tellies, dining tables etc, but the average is around $3000 all in.

Groceries are around $630/month

Electricity around $180/month

Gas $30/month

Fuel for the car around $250/month (was higher but we converted to lpg)

The actual car itself has averaged around $430/month but bear in mind this includes the cost of the car and the lpg conversion!

Communication (mobile phone/broadband/posting letters/parcels etc) $220/month

We also have a miscellaneous cost which is around $580/month. This takes into account anything you can't really put into a particular category. As you can see there's quite a lot in that one!

We rent which is $700/fortnight.

There's many other categories but this should give you a starting point.

Our combined income is fairly low so we usually have nothing over at the end of each week/month. No savings. Nothing. Pay our bills (just), drive a 20 year old car and live very simply ........... and a lot of others do the same. Our rent is 50% of my monthly income!

There are a lot of very low paid jobs here (although at award rate or above still low compared to the UK), and unless you are highly skilled wages in SA are not that good. I was working three jobs, every day with no days off, not so long ago just to survive.

reading back, I guess the title was a bit personal but felt I'd explained myself better in my first post.....hopefully haven't offended people and apologies if I have! anyway, thanks for your replies, they have been helpful. Just want to get into my head an idea of how much life will change and prepare ourselves....we're coming over no matter what :) xx

In Australia, people are comfortable sharing more financial info so would never take offense to the question!

I wonder howe many total strangers would divulge their financial status/position if i stopped them in the street?

HG

You must admit it's heaps different here to back in the UK, or the US where I'm from. Not total strangers on here either - I'm happy to help out with general info

Guest cornish Busdriver
We are relatively low paid...love to get paid what some on here do!!!

But we live an excellent lifestyle and love it......

Dan

Great attitude to life Dan.

Hell were not on great wages but we are seriouly loving it here and love the life style too.:jiggy:

• 3 months later...
Guest calamitycaz

It's good to read that others are ok on a relatively low income - with 5 months to go before I arrive I'm now starting to panic that my single wage as a Midwife wont be enough to support myself and the kids? I'm hoping it's normal to get the financial jitters?!!!!

Caz x

Good thread, and good to see that lifestyle counts for more than money. Yes it's always good to be decent paid, but lots of things here are free. Won't divulge what i earn i'm afraid, but one earner with wife, 3 kids and now a dog. We still have a comfortable life, and paid more than i did when working in the oil industry in Scotland compared to oil industry here. You set your standards and live to your means.

Guest Sachertorte

Possibly the key to financially survive n thrive here is to learn to shop around and accept to have to drive to farmers' markets, wholesalers etc

Continuing to shop in supermarkets only will quickly make the biggest dent in one's wallet! I think there was a very good thread on this topic... will post again when I find it :)

And when in supermarkets...just be careful to check labels that state "Special Offer"... sometimes it's just 4c off :goofy:

where are you going to reside when you get here?

we are a family of 4 and live in Aldinga Beach,we have a low mortgage and manage to live quite comfortably on $45,000 and have to pay school fees.we don't live a lavish life style but don't go without either,it really depends on what sort of living you are used to and what you make of it!

We are still newies,only been here 5 months and are finding things out as we go along but if we can help in anyway just ask and we will try to assist.

Good luck,As my dad said "if it doesn't work out,you can always go back!" so far i really don't want to!

Guest Tanya

will probably be looking to stay somewhere in the south eg Woodcroft or surrounding areas. Aldingo looks lovely but maybe a little too far as hubby's job will be in the north. Don't want to go all the way over there and have him do loads of travelling to get to work every day! Nice to see people are on reasonable incomes and something we can achieve......its looking better! thanks for the replies, Id forgotten about this board as thought it had died :D

Guest calamitycaz
Dont forget if you have a family and have PR you will get centrelink payments and they help boost your income. And unlike in theUK at the endof the tax year you can get some good returns. :notworthy:

For fear of sounding like a thicko (!) what are Centrelink payments? Is that the Oz equivalent of Child Benefit / Child Tax Credits?

Caz x

Guest kfoley0681

our house 2 adults 4 kids roughly 5k month income mortgage is 1600 a month on 285k house grocery bill including nappies 300 a week plus bill = all savings brought over gone = nothing left at end of the month! you were really winning if you come here 4-5 years ago lots of people have told me and the cost of living has gone up so much now here!