'credit check/credit reference letter?'

Guest saz1

:err:Hi

Was wondering if anyone can help me, I have been reading the emigration check list and it says to 'request credit checks, or a credit reference letter from you bank.' How do I get one of these as I have been into my bank and they dont seem to know anything about it and what do you need it for?

Hi,

I got my visa last year (permanent resident) and i never had to get a credit/reference letter. The only time i had to disclose my finances was when i got state sponsorship, but even then it wasn't really checked only had to get a signature from a Justice of the peace.

Hope this helps

The Willis clan.

Guest calamitycaz

I've also read that I will need one as a reference for when I rent a house - I was going to phone the bank to request one unless someone can enlighten me otherwise?!

Guest k8bug79

I think what they basically mean is a reference from your bank. I may be wrong but I think this is an outdated thing, I don't know many banks that would provide a reference??????

• 1 month later...
Guest ethanwhite

There are many lending institutions who provide reference letter. There are different type of reference letter as per my knowledge. Like references letters - for employment, personal, character and many more. I think you should clarify yourself regarding which type of reference letter you are seeking for.

Hey,

We too had this on our checkilist, but we didnt get one in the end!! (I would hardly get a 'good' reference from my bank!!)

we had no problems by not having, and simply provided credit card/ loan and mortgage statements saying that we were good at paying on time....and we got out first choice rental first time!

Dan

Guest WhatNow?

When I asked the Halifax for one last year, I had a very starchy reply stating that they 'didn't do that sort of thing'. On the other hand I know people whose banks have given them an informal reference. I suppose like anything else it depends who and how you ask. I deal with many UK migrants and it seems that as long as you have some proof that you paid your bills (e.g. mortgage) on time, clear you credit card each month etc that would do the trick, though I also don't know of anyone who has ever been asked for a 'financial reference'. In my experience Real Estate agents who are acting for landlords are more concerned that you either have a job and a regular income or that you are receiving rental income on your UK property, so will be a good risk for regular rent payments.

Guys, I think this is Veda ?

My Credit File - you can order your credit history and it is free, if you are willing to wait a bit (ten days).

I am not sure why they would request it for PR, but any that gives you credit (Hire Purchase, bank loan, utilities connection etc.) will probably do a credit check on you anyhow. It is more that you can see if there is anything on there that should not be on there (black marks) and you have the right to appeal them.